Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Best way to connect to TV

Best way to connect to TV
DIPESH14
May 23, 2006, 02:12 PM

I've had a search around but cant seem to find any information regarding this. What would be the best way to link my iMac (G5) to my brand spanking new LCD tv? Would a hdmi cable be the best way? Any input and information would be gratefully received.

SoBayJake
Forum Regular
May 23, 2006, 03:35 PM

I've never had an iMac G5, so I'm guessing. Does it have a mini-DVI port? According to apple.com, the Intel Core Duo iMacs have a mini DVI port.

If it does, and your TV has an HDMI input, you can get the mini-DVI-to-DVI connector from apple, and get a DVI-to-HDMI cable from ebay. The connector is $19, and the DVI-to-HDMI cable is under $10. Do NOT get the cable at places like Best Buy/Apple, as they will want $100 or so (no kidding!). I got the cable on ebay a while back, $0.99 + $6 shipping. How Best Buy gets away with that robbery...sheesh!

If the G5 iMac only have a VGA/mini-VGA out, you would need a VGA input on your TV.

-Jake
Too many Apple/Mac products to even bother listing!

DIPESH14  (op)
May 23, 2006, 04:38 PM

Just had a look.. I've got a mini DVI connection so looks like I'll take that route. Im based in the UK so definitely wont be buying from Best Buy. Thanks for the advice.
( Last edited by DIPESH14; May 23, 2006 at 04:47 PM. )

quiklee
Senior User
May 23, 2006, 10:10 PM

I have the exact same setup as you and I did all the research . . . so here's your time saving advice . . . just get the standard S-Cable adapter and hook it up through that . . . . the resolution is the best as it can get since you have a LCD TV not just a LCD . . . . i even asked the genius at the Pasadena Apple Store and they said the same thing . . . . . trust man . . trust! . . . I'll take some pictures and show you how it looks . . .
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

SoBayJake
Forum Regular
May 24, 2006, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by quiklee
I have the exact same setup as you and I did all the research . . . so here's your time saving advice . . . just get the standard S-Cable adapter and hook it up through that . . . . the resolution is the best as it can get since you have a LCD TV not just a LCD . . . . i even asked the genius at the Pasadena Apple Store and they said the same thing . . . . . trust man . . trust! . . . I'll take some pictures and show you how it looks . . .
If the TV has an HDMI input (which I assume it does, since that's the one connector mentioned), the quality using the HDMI input will be far, far better than using S-video.

DIPESH14  (op)
May 24, 2006, 02:06 PM

yes, the tv has a hdmi input so I was planning on running it through that way. Would be interesting to see those pics tho quiklee..

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
May 25, 2006, 09:42 AM

Use a DVI to HDMI cable. End of story.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 25, 2006, 09:50 AM

The iMac G5s do not have DVI out - they all had VGA output.
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 25, 2006, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
The iMac G5s do not have DVI out - they all had VGA output.
Did this port change from the original G5 to the iSight G5?

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 25, 2006, 10:17 AM

No, the 1st iMac to have a DVI port was/is the iMac Core Duo
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

holliday1
Jun 11, 2006, 01:57 AM

does S-Video send audio from the computer to the TV also? or does it just send video? if it just sends video how does one send the audio from the computer (say a mac mini) to the TV?

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2006, 04:37 AM

It just sends video. To get audio, you need to use a 3.5 to phono cable, and just plug 1 end into your Macs audio out port, and the other into the RCA jacks on your TV

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Jun 12, 2006, 01:11 PM

or just plug the rca jacks into a seperate amp and speakers

sound a lot better than most tv's too i should think

dreamBweaver
Forum Regular
Jun 16, 2006, 07:03 AM

does S-Video send audio from the computer to the TV also? or does it just send video? if it just sends video how does one send the audio from the computer (say a mac mini) to the TV?
If you have a newer mac mini it does SPDIF optical out. You can use cool 5.1 surround sound speakers with that. It's in the same port as the 3.5mm headphone jack but you need an optical cable. It can go to your receiver and that way when you play a DVD it's in DTS or Dolby Digital assuming your equipment supports that. Worth it IMO.

Also my Sony 23" Wega HDTV has VGA for some reason *shrug* It sounds like the thread's starter will end up with S-Video because his G5 doesn't actually have DVI and converting to DVI is obscenly expensive ($200); DVI and HDMI that is.
Looking forward.

currie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2006, 05:57 PM

I thought many would be interested in my experience in linking a MacBook to a JVC HDTV. My TV is a JVC HD52G886. It has the usual S-video and a VGA display input. The VGA is stricted to 1024x768 so does not use the full display on a MacBook. Widescreen DVD movies don't use the full 1280 pixel width of the JVC TV. Even so it is a beautiful picture. The nifty thing I did was to purchase an HDMI cable from MonoPrice (HDMI DVI Cable 28AWG) for $5.03 ($7.95 with shipping). JVC says that the HDMI input cannot be used for computer input. Perhaps this is because few computers have ditigital output and a display 1280 pixels wide in a 16:9 format. I hooked up my MacBook with the display set to mirror. It sensed the JVC and produced a spectacular full screen display. Watching iPhoto slide shows is incredible.
Jim

DeeVee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2006, 12:32 AM

The final G5 imacs did have mini-dvi. The best option is mini-vga/mini-dvi to vga/dvi and then into the tv. Then use the current version of vlc, which allows you to manually correct the aspect ratio problem. Its very simple to use and takes about a second. I have a macbook attached to a 42" plasma via dvi and videos look fantastic. I used to attach an imac G5 via vga in the same way. Massive improvement over s-video.

DIPESH14  (op)
Aug 2, 2006, 02:09 PM

DeeVee, any idea how to find out if my model is the latest non Intel mac? Also, I've connected using mini-vga to vga but am not all that happy with the quality-just doesnt look HD to me for some reason!

druber
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 3, 2006, 04:08 PM

Try this: find or create a desktop image that is the screen size you want to have (depends on your TV--my set natively displays 1368x768, though I've only had luck getting 1280x768). You want to use something with a grid like this that will make it easy to determine whether or not you're seeing the entire image. Set is as your desktop background and display it at actual size--no stretching. That way you can get a better idea of what you're looking at.

If you have a mini-VGA port and no mini-DVI port, that's your answer. You could always try going to the AVS forum to look for info on your specific LCD TV. Stay far, far away from S-Video if you want a decent picture on an HD set.
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2006, 08:14 PM

im almost certain that there were no g5's that had a mini dvi connection, seeing how that was the biggest draw for me, that is why i JUMPED on the intel imacs (didnt really want to get rid of my 20" lcd).
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

mastjean
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2006, 12:14 AM

Hi,

Can you tell me what is the setting to display only on TV and have the LCD screen be blank? Once this done, can you flip the screen down without the Macbook Pro going into sleep mode?

Thank you.

SoBayJake
Forum Regular
Aug 8, 2006, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by mastjean
Hi,

Can you tell me what is the setting to display only on TV and have the LCD screen be blank? Once this done, can you flip the screen down without the Macbook Pro going into sleep mode?

Thank you.
You'll have to put it to sleep first.

Hook up the external display, attach a keyboard and mouse, and close the lid. As soon as it goes to sleep, press a key on the keyboard or mouse to wake it up.

DeeVee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2006, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by DIPESH14
DeeVee, any idea how to find out if my model is the latest non Intel mac? Also, I've connected using mini-vga to vga but am not all that happy with the quality-just doesnt look HD to me for some reason!
I thought it was the G5 model that had the i-sight. I'm basing this on advertising within the Australian press rather than in the flesh. I recall being a bit miffed because I was trying to get a vga to dvi work around on my, then, 6 month old G5. The mini dvi replaced the mini vga and so if you have the mini vga then its an older model. The vga should still give a good picture. Have you played around with the display resolution to best match your lcd?

DIPESH14  (op)
Aug 8, 2006, 03:13 AM

I dont have a iMac with i-sight so i guess i've only got the mini vga. I reckon I need to just have to have a play around with the settings to try and get a better picture showing on the lcd.

mastjean
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2006, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by SoBayJake
You'll have to put it to sleep first.

Hook up the external display, attach a keyboard and mouse, and close the lid. As soon as it goes to sleep, press a key on the keyboard or mouse to wake it up.
Thank you SoBayJake for the tip. While doing research, I also found this utility: InsomniaX, it is capable of disabling the sleep mode on a Apple Laptop.

Here's the link:
http://semaja2.net/insomniaxinfo/

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2006, 11:43 PM

iMac G5, iSight, released October 2005
Video
Screen: 17/20" LCD
Video Card/Chipset: ATI Radeon X600/XT (PCI Express)
VRAM: 128 MB (DDR)
Max Resolution: 24 bit 1440x900/1680x1050
Video Out: mini-VGA (mirror only)

DeeVee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2006, 02:42 AM

If that was the last G5 then I was wrong and apologies for spreading misinformation on the internet

As you were...

Forum Links
Forum Rules