Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > ibook screen problem

ibook screen problem
guitar_player
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2007, 02:34 PM

Anyone else have this problem? Heres some pics i took with my phone. Could it be something simple like a wire, or do I need to replace the screen or logic board? It used to go away if i put pressure on the screen in certain spots but now it stays there. It doesn't show up on an external monitor. Anyone know how to fix it?

druber
Grizzled Veteran
May 1, 2007, 04:33 PM

Looks like the logic board. Is it still under warranty? Do you have an Apple Store nearby? That's certainly the easiest place for a diagnosis.
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

icath
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2007, 02:33 PM

It may be your screen - exactly what it looks like!

You could try to restart using discs but my previous iBook had to be rewired due to hinge wear, bad design problem. I'm now getting a new screen fitted and I bought a refurbished one, problem with that is it's using US English and not UK!

It may not solve your problem but at least it's a different view..!

chipchen
Mac Elite
May 3, 2007, 03:30 PM

Actually, it could be either. Could be just the connection too... or crimped cables.

Does the picture ever change when you move the screen?

ibook_steve
May 3, 2007, 03:50 PM

That's not cables. That's certainly a GPU problem. Time for a new logic board.

Steve

chipchen
Mac Elite
May 3, 2007, 05:06 PM

GPU problems are more universal... they almost always scramble the whole screen. This isn't the iBook MLB GBA problem here.

My guess... is the LCD. But could be the cable.

ibook_steve
May 3, 2007, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by chipchen View Post
GPU problems are more universal... they almost always scramble the whole screen. This isn't the iBook MLB GBA problem here.

My guess... is the LCD. But could be the cable.
Not necessarily. There could be a part of the VRAM on the GPU that is not working correctly, causing the partial problem. If it was a cable issue, it would be all or nothing as well or only a particular color, since the differential signaling to the panel does encode R, G, and B separately. And I don't think its the LCD because a damaged LCD would not display random data, as seen here. My vote is still for the GPU.

Steve

chipchen
Mac Elite
May 3, 2007, 07:21 PM

It's not random. It's the bottom third. Broken LCDs fail in sections... like a whole row of pixels, section of LCD, etc. GPU and VRAM issues will affect the entire display, not just a section of it. I've repaired couple hundred ibooks, so I'm pretty familiar with them. First thing I'd do is replace the cable, then LCD, then logic board.

ibook_steve
May 3, 2007, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by chipchen View Post
It's not random. It's the bottom third. Broken LCDs fail in sections... like a whole row of pixels, section of LCD, etc. GPU and VRAM issues will affect the entire display, not just a section of it. I've repaired couple hundred ibooks, so I'm pretty familiar with them. First thing I'd do is replace the cable, then LCD, then logic board.
I don't mean random as in location. I mean random as in random colored pixels in the affected area.

Do the repair if you can (I did enough at Apple when I worked there), but my vote is still on the logic board.

Steve

guitar_player  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2007, 10:16 PM

how much is the cable? and wuts the GPU and VRAM?? and no its not under warranty and even if it was i've voided it from fixing things myself and no.. no apple store nearby sadly.

guitar_player  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2007, 10:24 PM

it started working again earlier... now that "third" is just a little brighter then the rest. it used to do this before but it was stuck like that (with the lines) for a looong time. if its the logic board then im not going to spend tons of money to replace it. i have an old dell that i could fix up for half the price of a new logic board probably so i might just switch back... atleast untill i can afford a new mac.

Forum Links
Forum Rules