Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Apple tablet / netbook / large iPhone is coming for real

Apple tablet / netbook / large iPhone is coming for real (Page 17)
turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2010, 05:55 PM

That's Zimbabwe $, right ?

-t

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 9, 2010, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
That's Zimbabwe $, right ?

-t
No, American.

Ya wanna live in Norway, ya gotta pay the price.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 9, 2010, 06:07 PM

I have to become an Albino, right?

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 9, 2010, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I have to become an Albino, right?
That too.

Edit: And you have to like dried, rotten fish, too.

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2010, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
No, American.
That's what I said.

I posted from the future, Zimbabwe $ trades 1:1 to US $.

-t

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 10, 2010, 05:01 AM

That’ll be $999 for the basic iPad (Norwegian version)...
Not quite. According to the link I posted above the basic version in Norway is NOK3790 which is about $642. If you take the US pice $499 and factor in the whopping 25% Norwegian MVA (= VAT = sales tax) that puts you at $624. In other words Apple's markup for the Norwegian market is about $18 which corresponds to just 3%.

The Norwegian mansion OTOH will indeed run you about $6,000,000. I recently saw an awesome apartment in downtown Oslo (right next to the park behind the castle) from the late 1800s with all the extras for about $1,200,000. Not exactly a bargain, but probably one of the nicest apartments I've ever seen in Europe. I would have taken it in a heartbeat. If I had a job i Norway that is.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2010, 05:54 AM

That too.

Edit: And you have to like dried, rotten fish, too.
Stockfish != Lutefisk.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 10, 2010, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Stockfish != Lutefisk.
Well, um, yeah … ?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2010, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
There are some Canada/US data plans they just started offering, but they're insanely expensive for data amounts that would be useful for tethering.
Really? isn't it about 100 megs? shouldn't that be more than enough for the important stuff that you gotta do on this trip? 100 megs is a lot of emails and casual surfing. Not so much if the important business means loading screengrabs on MacNN though. Perhaps you could survive though.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2010, 06:57 PM

Well, um, yeah … ?
Stockfish - dried, not rotten.

Lutefisk - not dried, rotten.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2010, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Really? isn't it about 100 megs? shouldn't that be more than enough for the important stuff that you gotta do on this trip? 100 megs is a lot of emails and casual surfing. Not so much if the important business means loading screengrabs on MacNN though. Perhaps you could survive though.
Tethering requires a minimum of a 1 GB contract.

They do have some small one-off data plans for US trips, but even if you could buy those for tethering (and I'm not sure if you can or not), it wouldn't be worth it. Loading ONE PAGE on some sites is several MB. And yes, it's esp. heavy bandwidth if the page involves Flash (which I know you hate), but nonetheless some of the tourist sites etc. use Flash. (If it was just email it wouldn't be so bad.)

In this context I'd rather use go get a coffee at an internet cafe or whatever when I happen to be in town, or just pay the $14.95 for in-room WiFi. In the meantime I'm prebooking as much as possible now, and printing out hardcopies to bring with me.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 11, 2010, 04:39 AM

Stockfish - dried, not rotten.

Lutefisk - not dried, rotten.
Northern rakfisk ≠ stockfish or lutefisk.

(In the south, rakfisk is just rotten; in the north, they tend to dry it a bit after they dig it out of the ground)

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2010, 04:47 PM

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2010, 01:46 AM

Wish I didn’t have to say “I told you so”, Simon:

Steve Jobs emails Swede that the iPad won't tether to the iPhone | 9 to 5 Mac

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2010, 08:23 AM

No tethering, no deal for me... maybe.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2010, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug View Post
Wish I didn’t have to say “I told you so”, Simon:

Steve Jobs emails Swede that the iPad won't tether to the iPhone | 9 to 5 Mac
Yeah, it's a bummer. Saw that too. Even posted the link (but in the other thread).
( Last edited by Simon; Mar 6, 2010 at 12:50 PM. )

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2010, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
No tethering, no deal for me... maybe.
Might only be the case on the shit AT&T.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 6, 2010, 02:10 PM

Might only be the case on the shit AT&T.
I doubt it.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2010, 04:11 PM

I doubt it.
Well that's what jailbreaking is for.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 6, 2010, 07:02 PM

Well that's what jailbreaking is for.
Yeah, cuz the n00bish masses all already jailbreak their iPhones.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2010, 11:48 AM

Are those the same "n00bish masses" begging for BT tethering?

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2010, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Are those the same "n00bish masses" begging for BT tethering?
No, but they aren't begging for 3G machines either.

I suspect most of the people who are most appropriate for 3G iPads are also the ones who would be more willing to do BT tethering.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2010, 02:23 PM

Well you said one day 1 that the ipad is "not for you" and you seen to hate everything about it from Flash to missing video camera. Somehow that doesn't seem to stop you from coming in this thread over and over making it sound like we are all getting suckered for those of us who like it as is.

Plus it makes you look like you secretly want one big time but don't know what it needs to fix to make you buy it. Even with everything you mentioned you think is missing you STILL wouldn't get it if they added it just like your iPod touch fantasy.

You want a netbook and you're NEVER going to get it from Apple. Just like your G5 in a powerbook you though was around the corner for 5 years.

Perhaps you might feel more in place if you went and posted some video encoding benchmarks for your computers in another thread?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2010, 02:39 PM

Perhaps you might feel more in place if you went and posted some video encoding benchmarks for your computers in another thread?
That wasn't a nice thing to say.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2010, 03:27 PM

Heh. aS, you seem to be projecting your insecurities in your stance on the iPad with that post in this thread.
Well you said one day 1 that the ipad is "not for you" and you seen to hate everything about it from Flash to missing video camera. Somehow that doesn't seem to stop you from coming in this thread over and over making it sound like we are all getting suckered for those of us who like it as is.
Remember, you're the one that brought up the idea of jailbreaking it in the first place. I guess you like it as it is... if you can jailbreak it.

BTW, I find it interesting to note that you, unlike me, are the guy that actually jailbreaks iPhones and tells all your friends to do so too. And didn't one of your friends screw up his iPhone from jailbreaking it? n00b-friendly indeed.
( Last edited by Eug; Mar 7, 2010 at 03:36 PM. )

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2010, 06:01 PM

No, but they aren't begging for 3G machines either.

I suspect most of the people who are most appropriate for 3G iPads are also the ones who would be more willing to do BT tethering.
if tethering is your problem, the 3G iPad is the solution.

Whether less advanced users will opt for 3G is entirely a function of their needs, spare change, and how plausibly a sales guy can explain the benefits of an always-on connection.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2010, 05:29 PM

BTW, I find it interesting to note that you, unlike me, are the guy that actually jailbreaks iPhones and tells all your friends to do so too. And didn't one of your friends screw up his iPhone from jailbreaking it? n00b-friendly indeed.
Weird. I don't remember saying I jailbroke my phone . Yet even more intersting is I am known as the guy who has NEVER jailbroken his 3G or 3GS phone and tell ALL of my friends that the cost isn't worth it in most cases and NOT to do it. I tell them if they do I will not help them with tech problems.

Yes I did jailbreak my iPhone 1.0 as a means to unlocck it because you know that was the only way to use it in Canada as I wasn't going to wait a year over a jailbreak.

And YES my friend did mess up his phone jailbreaking, as did I a couple times as it was the early days and it was a 2 hour job and hacking. Luckily the whole "Screw up" required a restore to get back to fix. These days it is ONE app and ONE button to push and 5 min.

If they iPad comes out and has no tethering in Canada I will see if I find myself using it outside that my iPhone can't already do. If that means a jailbreak fine by me. This is not my phone so even if it has problems for a couple hours I can live.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2010, 05:30 PM

if tethering is your problem, the 3G iPad is the solution.
2 problems with that though.

1) They don't want to pay the cost difference.
2) They don't want to pay the monthly costs.

That's how vital it is to them.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2010, 02:16 AM

When I'm home, I'll probably just tether to my MacBook, then share the WiFi to the iPad.

I think Apple is being ridiculous if they block iPhone to iPad tethering. I'm not paying for on-the-go internet access twice, that's stupid.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2010, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
I think Apple is being ridiculous if they block iPhone to iPad tethering.
I think steve would love tethering, problem is AT&T. Do they even let you tether your iPhone to your laptop yet?!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2010, 05:10 AM

I think steve would love tethering, problem is AT&T. Do they even let you tether your iPhone to your laptop yet?!
This has nothing to do with AT&T. The iPhone tethers just fine today (though not for AT&T customers). If the iPad cannot tether to the iPhone (or any other smartphone with BT for that matter) it's because Apple has intentionally crippled it. You can blame AT&T for a lot, but this one is Apple alone.

Note that tethering an iPad to a 3G phone is also a very different matter compared to using the iPad 3G to tether other devices to the internet. The latter is expected to work while the former isn't happening according to Steve.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2010, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
This has nothing to do with AT&T. The iPhone tethers just fine today (though not for AT&T customers). If the iPad cannot tether to the iPhone (or any other smartphone with BT for that matter) it's because Apple has intentionally crippled it. You can blame AT&T for a lot, but this one is Apple alone.

Note that tethering an iPad to a 3G phone is also a very different matter compared to using the iPad 3G to tether other devices to the internet. The latter is expected to work while the former isn't happening according to Steve.
Apple hasn't intentionally crippled anything. That implies that the feature is there and Apple has turned it off. But that feature has never been a part of the iPhone OS.

You can't tether an iPod Touch to the iPhone, why would you expect the iPad to be any different?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 12, 2010, 09:45 AM

You can't tether an iPod Touch to the iPhone, why would you expect the iPad to be any different?
Cuz it makes no sense to tether an iPod touch to the iPhone. There is no advantage to doing this, since both have the same screen, and it's a waste of time to carry both an iPod touch and an iPhone around.

OTOH, since the iPad is a potential low end laptop/netbook replacement, it makes perfect sense to want to tether the iPad to the iPhone, which is why Simon initially (incorrectly) assumed it would be available as a feature.

I suspect there are two main reasons Apple isn't doing this:

1) Cost of implementation vs. target price range of the iPad.
2) A tethered machine generates no additional data contract revenue.

The iPad in Canada cannot be tethered either.

Yes I did jailbreak my iPhone 1.0 as a means to unlocck it because you know that was the only way to use it in Canada as I wasn't going to wait a year over a jailbreak.

And YES my friend did mess up his phone jailbreaking, as did I a couple times as it was the early days and it was a 2 hour job and hacking. Luckily the whole "Screw up" required a restore to get back to fix. These days it is ONE app and ONE button to push and 5 min.

If they iPad comes out and has no tethering in Canada I will see if I find myself using it outside that my iPhone can't already do. If that means a jailbreak fine by me. This is not my phone so even if it has problems for a couple hours I can live.
Like I said, that's just so n00b friendly...

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2010, 09:45 AM

Apple hasn't intentionally crippled anything. That implies that the feature is there and Apple has turned it off. But that feature has never been a part of the iPhone OS.
It's been in OS X for ages. Are you trying to imply that porting it to the iPad is too difficult for Apple?

Logic? The iPod touch doesn't have a whole lot of things the iPad has.

Bottom line, unless you're filthy rich nobody will fancy spending an extra $130 plus $15/month for 3G data when actually they're already paying for 'unlimited 3G' with their iPhone.

I can see why for business reasons Apple would not allow iPad tethering. And that's ok. What's not ok is trying to blame it on a carrier or spin it like it's better for customers. It's entirely obvious that a) it's a disadvantage to customers and b) it's for the money not for technology reasons.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2010, 10:58 AM

It's been in OS X for ages. Are you trying to imply that porting it to the iPad is too difficult for Apple?

Logic? The iPod touch doesn't have a whole lot of things the iPad has.

Bottom line, unless you're filthy rich nobody will fancy spending an extra $130 plus $15/month for 3G data when actually they're already paying for 'unlimited 3G' with their iPhone.

I can see why for business reasons Apple would not allow iPad tethering. And that's ok. What's not ok is trying to blame it on a carrier or spin it like it's better for customers. It's entirely obvious that a) it's a disadvantage to customers and b) it's for the money not for technology reasons.
Logic? It runs the same OS. An OS that does not currently have tethering support (well, not in the direction that you want). You're wanting Apple to add something to the OS while implying that they're taking something away. The two aren't the same thing.

I'm not anti-tethering (in fact, I'd like to see it). But it also doesn't surprise me in the least to not see it there.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2010, 08:45 PM

Oh, come on, the non-GUI bits are OS X. They may not have compiled the components for BT tethering, but they certainly have the source code to do it. I’m not going to call it trivial, since I know real developers hate that, but it’s certainly feasible, given Apple’s resources. Make sure it works with the BT chip they’re using and throw together a GUI for it.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2010, 01:28 PM

The iPad in Canada cannot be tethered either.
Not that I disagree at this point but can I see the press release that mentions that?

ajprice
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2010, 03:35 PM

If you can call an email from SJ's iPhone a press release, here you go - Steve Jobs tells Swedish DJ that the iPad won't tether to the iPhone | 9 to 5 Mac

"I'll keep it short.

I'm Jezper from Sweden, a long time Apple fan, currently about to replace the very last computer at home with a brand spanking new iMac i7. I'm also awaiting the release of the iPad. However, I have one question:

Will the wifi-only version somehow support tethering thru my iPhone?

Two devices, based on the same OS, with already built-in technology to share one data plan suggests a secondary contract could possibly be redundant.

From the look of your keynote, where the iPad sits well between my MacBook Pro and my iPhone, I was hoping the three of them could interact as seamless as possible.

All the best,
Jezper Söderlund[a famous DJ in his own right]
"

Jobs' answer?

"No.

Sent from my iPhone
"

I'd say that "No" was a pretty firm answer, no grey area of tethering or not in different countries. No is no, it's not going to happen*

*at launch

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2010, 06:07 PM

Well whatever but the US still doesn't have it for the iPhones when most of the world does.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2010, 06:16 PM

Oh ok, didn't know that. Is that an Apple thing or an AT&T thing though?

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2010, 06:37 PM

It can't be an Apple thing, as it works just fine in the civilized world.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2010, 07:41 PM

Its AT&T for sure. Their pitiful network couldn't handle the added data throughput of all of the iPhone users who will tether their phones. I recall them saying at one point that tethering would come eventually. Its sad and frustrating, as I personally know a few people who wont buy an iPhone until they can tether it. Apple seriously needs to break from AT&T, or at the very least open up to other carriers. AT&T can't handle the awesomeness.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2010, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Oh ok, didn't know that. Is that an Apple thing or an AT&T thing though?
It's AT&T. Rogers/fido/bell/telus here in Canada offered tethering for free with most data plans last summer. Doesn't look like it will be an extra charge anytime soon as they already extended the offer.

AT&T is really holding the iPhone back, the US even had to wait longer for MMS.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2010, 07:03 PM

OTOH, since the iPad is a potential low end laptop/netbook replacement, it makes perfect sense to want to tether the iPad to the iPhone, which is why Simon initially (incorrectly) assumed it would be available as a feature.
What I have to know is what all those laptop users with only Wifi have been doing for all these years with these very expensive laptops with only internet with Wifi? Isn't your laptop useless without it?

Oh right there is tethering. The nice little feature that AT&T users still don't have yet manage to get by somehow.

And then there's Eug. So sure he needs 3G on his iPad that is half the cost of a laptpp that's why he doesn't even use tethering it on his iPhone/laptop for the past year.

Confusing argument for sure.

I'm getting the Wifi iPad and I can't really see myself using it for data purposes out side of Wifi that I can't already do with my iPhone. I will not take it out on the subway to surf the web (no reception) I won't do it on the bus as the iPhone is good enough and I dont' want to get mugged.

I don't sit in a hotel in the middle of nowhere within my own country and require 3G on an iPad. They mostly have Wifi anyway.

I don't ride around in a car needing data on an iPad.

What I DO need is for is casual use around the house or when at a friends house or client meetings. All have Wifi.

Sure tethering would be nice but I almost never use it for my laptop either.

The only time I could see the use for the 3G iPad is if this is a homes only computer and this would be their only form of internet connection. I know many many people this would apply perfectly too.

Cold Warrior
Mar 31, 2010, 10:35 PM

State of the Art - David Pogue’s Review of the iPad - NYTimes.com

David Pogue's review is up, but it's nothing we didn't know already (we -- those that have followed discussion on the boards. A luddite reading the NYT in print would find it new).

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2010, 11:13 PM

The TV show "Modern Family" was basically a 30 minute iPad commercial tonight.

I mean, it made sense in the context of the episode, but at the same time it was pretty shameless.

Oh, and David Pogue's review is pretty crappy. It doesn't really tell us anything new... at all. I want to read about the experience of actually using one and how it lines up with expectations... not a rehash of what any tech savvy person already knows.
( Last edited by ort888; Mar 31, 2010 at 11:30 PM. )

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2010, 03:46 AM

Here's a prelim round-up:

AppleInsider | First sanctioned iPad reviews speak favorably of new device

This quote is pretty to the point:
Originally Posted by Andy Ihnatko
The most compelling sign that Apple got this right is the fact that despite the novelty of the iPad, the excitement slips away after about ten seconds and you’re completely focused on the task at hand ... whether it’s reading a book, writing a report, or working on clearing your Inbox. Second most compelling: in situation after situation, I find that the iPad is the best computer in my household and office menagerie. It’s not a replacement for my notebook, mind you. It feels more as if the iPad is filling a gap that’s existed for quite some time.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2010, 04:11 AM

Interesting read. I'm glad Andy makes that point. I don't suffer from that gap so I'm confident I'm not missing anything by not getting an iPad. My MBP OTOH is in dire need of replacement. And I'll definitely update my old iPhone 3G to an iPhone HD in summer.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2010, 04:16 AM

Interesting read. I'm glad Andy makes that point. I don't suffer from that gap so I'm confident I'm not missing anything by not getting an iPad. My MBP OTOH is in dire need of replacement. And I'll definitely update my old iPhone 3G to an iPhone HD in summer.
I'm not sure Andy suffered from that gap before he had the iPad.

It's just one of those Apple things, where a product perfectly fulfills a need you never realized you had, and suddenly you wonder how you ever did without.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2010, 05:31 AM

He mentioned it filled a gap that "had existed for quite some time". I understand my needs quite well. And right now, there is simply no gap for the iPad to fill. Hence I'm not buying one.

The iPhone was a completely different thing for me. I had been suffering from crappy phones for years and I had gone through several Treos that I loathed more and more every day. My BB trial was a disaster. I knew exactly what I was missing. And I knew exactly how the iPhone was going to fix it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules