Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > New or old dsiplay?

New or old dsiplay?
tom.lindblom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2004, 05:19 PM

Which one should I choose, the old 23" studio or the new 23" cinema display. I use a new PowerBook G4 1,33mhz that I'm planning to hook up to one of these beauties. Many thanx for all comments/advices!

Brian McHale
Jun 29, 2004, 05:39 PM

I guess I'm not really sure of what your setup requires, but I thought I'd chime in with my reasons for choosing an "old" display. When I bought my Powermac a while back, I got one of the dual display cards that can drive a VGA and an ADC display at the same time (Twinview, I believe it's called). I've been putting off getting an LCD display for a while, but think I'm finally ready. If I were to go with one of the new displays, I'd have to get an ADC to DVI adapter, which just drives the cost up that much more.

I don't know what kind of interfaces you've got, but this could be a deciding factor for your setup: do you need DVI or ADC?
Brian

Grammar Police
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2004, 05:45 PM

I'd recommend a new display, as long as money isn't a huge issue. They look really nice and have slightly better specs than the old displays.
Dictionaries are your friends.

MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Jun 29, 2004, 06:12 PM

If you get an old display you will have to spend the $150 for the adapter. I have a really old Cinema Display (1999), so it has DVI like the new displays. I use it with my laptop.

I am actually thinking of getting a new cinema display too. This one is getting dim.

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2004, 02:01 PM

Originally posted by Brian McHale:
If I were to go with one of the new displays, I'd have to get an ADC to DVI adapter, which just drives the cost up that much more.
Ya, but only by 30 bucks.
Since he's on a PB, the old display with ADC would require a DVI to ADC adaptor for $100.

kcourt
Jun 30, 2004, 06:14 PM

I got last year's display because I liked the looks better. I am only getting the 20" because I don't have room for anything larger.

Kathy

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2004, 07:39 AM

Originally posted by kcourt:
I got last year's display because I liked the looks better. I am only getting the 20" because I don't have room for anything larger.

Kathy
You can't go wrong with the 20" I picked that up a while ago. A really nice display.

Mike

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2004, 08:50 AM

Originally posted by Maflynn:
You can't go wrong with the 20" I picked that up a while ago. A really nice display.

Mike
While the specs of the new ones might be better, I like the look of the older monitors. the "floating frame" look will always be a classic!

Xterratop
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2004, 07:19 PM

Originally posted by TailsToo:
While the specs of the new ones might be better, I like the look of the older monitors. the "floating frame" look will always be a classic!

New 20" display pics:

http://homepage.mac.com/waltafalla/PhotoAlbum10.html

Enjoy!

Forum Links
Forum Rules