Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Corsair ValueSelect Anyone?

Corsair ValueSelect Anyone?
Tek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2005, 03:11 AM

Has anyone used this RAM? It seems to spec out OK, but I just bought a new iMac and hear it can be finicky about RAM. I can afford more expensive, but who isn't trying to save a buck these days - let alone $60.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145525

Thanks for any input.

Mr V
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2005, 05:33 AM

I've also bought the same RAM.. still waiting for my iMac though, so I haven't tested it myself. However, a quick search on the Corsair support forumshttp://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/se...earchid=415207shows that it probably wont, which sucks because their recommended System Select module (CMSS1GB-533) is quite a bit more expensive.

Tek  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2005, 10:44 AM

Thanks a lot for that linkage. Did a quick search there and i guess my fear was concerned. The compatible listed RAM is only double the price. Back to searching...

Mr V
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2005, 11:23 AM

Np.. have a look at the Where to buy section on the Corsair site, might be a few options there...

I did a quick search and managed to find one retailer selling the recommended System Select module for only $15 more than what I paid for the Value Select module (Australian dollars)... and this is when everyone else I've looked at is selling it for at least $70 more... so I guess it's possible to get it for a decent price.

Tek  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2005, 11:35 AM

I ended up getting this Samsung chip from NewEgg, it was $99 after shipping (i paid $3 more for fed-ex cause i hate UPS) and already had recommendations on the site from people that have used it in the new iMacs. I think its a pretty good deal for something i know will work and is *gasp* even Apple recommended...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820147147

Jim L
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2005, 12:23 AM

I just got my new iMac G5 20" on Monday and I also got the 1GB of Corsair "System Select" from Newegg. I almost bought the "Value Select" before I checked Corsair's website for discussion and used their memory finder tool.

It's unfortunate that it costs a little more, but I will say that it works well without a hitch. It is definitely less expensive than the memory upgrades from the Apple Store!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 24, 2005, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by Jim L
It is definitely less expensive than the memory upgrades from the Apple Store!
You could buy solid gold memory for less than the price of memory upgrades at the Apple Store!

James41
Nov 26, 2005, 11:15 AM

To put your mind at rest about Corsair Value Select ram, yes it works great with a Mac. I have 2 gigs of it in my power mac and 1 gig of it in my iMac G5 and both machines work just great. It is quality ram at a good price and NewEgg is a good company with good service and warrenty and usually has the best price around.
PowerMac G5 - 2.0 4 1/2 Gig Ram - Tiger 10.4.2
30" Apple Monitor - LaCie d2 Tripple 320 Gig
iMac G5 1.8 1 1/2 Gig Ram 20" - Tiger 10.4.2
Amd64 - Gamer - Water cooled

Forum Links
Forum Rules