Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Using iMac Monitor For PS3

Using iMac Monitor For PS3
mac_user13
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2007, 03:59 PM

Hi,
I have a 60 Gigabyte Playstation 3, and for the past year I've been using my computer monitor to play it. However, now I'm thinking about buying a new iMac, and before doing so I'd like to make sure it's possible to use its monitor to play the PS3. First of all, I was wondering if the iMac is HDMI compatible, but if it's not, is there any way to use it for my PS3? Any answers are greatly appreciated,

Thanks,
mac_user13

NobleMatt
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Jul 17, 2007, 05:19 PM

i dont know for sure but i dont think its possible, not with out running it thought a USB device or something. The monitor has no imputs.

I would like to run my wii through it actually.

matt

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2007, 05:32 PM

I doubt that will work. One of the few ways of getting video into an iMac is to use Elgato's EyeTV devices, but you'd be limited to composite video for that. Not the best use of either the screen or your console.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2007, 05:35 PM

No the iMac is not HDMI capable, and it doesn't have a video input anyway. You could buy a SD video input Firewire or USB device, but the quality would be poor compared to HD, and there would be a bit of lag (even on the products advertised to be lag free).

ibook_steve
Jul 17, 2007, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by ginoledesma View Post
I doubt that will work. One of the few ways of getting video into an iMac is to use Elgato's EyeTV devices, but you'd be limited to composite video for that. Not the best use of either the screen or your console.
Actually, eyeTV hybrid includes s-video, which would be better than composite, and I have not seen significant delay with this product and my MBP, making it a viable console gaming solution. But this question has been asked tons of times in these forums.

Steve

Forum Links
Forum Rules