Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Wireless pci card kills G4

Wireless pci card kills G4
jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 11, 2005, 04:09 PM

Just got a d-link wireless card for my Quicksilver 733. When I insert it into the slot and try to restart the light on the power button comes on, the hard drives seem to spin, but nothing happens. The LED on the card does not light up either. When I remove the card startup is normal. The card is the airport plus G, DWL-G510. I have a video pci card that works just fine.

Thanks for any insights!

John Strung
Senior User
Feb 11, 2005, 05:08 PM

Does D-Link advertise this card as Mac compatible? PCI cards normally need drivers and unless you can find Mac drivers for the card it won't work in a Mac.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2005, 05:33 PM

Originally posted by jmiddel:
Just got a d-link wireless card for my Quicksilver 733. The card is the airport plus G, DWL-G510.
Where did you get the idea that the card would work in a Mac?
It is not listed on the D-Link Mac support page and there is no mention made on the XLR8 site of it being hacked.

The card should work fine just not in an Apple machine. You bought the wrong item.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

jmiddel  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 11, 2005, 05:49 PM

I researched this site and found quite a few posts that say that any pci wireless card will automatically be recognized by Macs. In fact one post clearly stated that drivers would not be needed. Also, macmall and club mac list a variety of them.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2005, 05:51 PM

I researched this site and found quite a few posts that say that any pci wireless card will automatically be recognized by Macs.
Well that is blatantly wrong. Where are these posts?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 11, 2005, 05:54 PM

I researched this site and found quite a few posts that say that any pci wireless card will automatically be recognized by Macs.
ANY site that claims *ANY* is destined for making false claims.

-t

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 11, 2005, 06:04 PM

Sure, some companied do make PCI cards that Macs will recognize, but not many of them. The DWL-G510 comes with only Windows drivers. That means that the people that make this card ONLY THINK IT WILL WORK WITH WINDOWS. It is usually a good idea to take the manufacturer's thoughts on this into account, particularly if you're going to spend money on such a product.

I would return it if I could, and then start doing the research you'll need to find a Mac compatible PCI card. Start looking at Asante' and Buffalo. Both seem to be Mac friendly, and Asante' has been at it with Macs for a long time.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

jmiddel  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 12, 2005, 09:27 PM

Thank y'all for your help

I have researched every available card, including Asante and Buffalo, and the only one whose site claims Mac compatability is the Sonnet at $77. MacMall lists the Viewsonic, at $44, as both for PC and Mac, but on the Viewsonic site there is no mention of the Mac, only of Windoze. So I would have to spend as much for the Sonnet as for the Apple card.

1) This is greatly aggravating, I have to spend a lot more money for a simple component than the PC trogs.

2) Given the situation, would the Sonnet have any advantage, with its external antenna, over the Airport Extreme, there is a corner wall between the w-router and the G4.

Thanks again for your attention.

John Strung
Senior User
Feb 13, 2005, 01:05 AM

My recommendation would be a LinkSys WET54G which is an external device that connects by ethernet. It is cross-platform, OS independent and require no drivers. It is twice as powerful as most internal cards (as it has its own powers supply) and has an external antenna. My experience is that it will pick up a good signal in areas where internal cards are lost.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2005, 06:07 PM

I have researched every available card,

Not very thorough research I guess. What you have misread from the old posts is that while not all PCI wireless cards will work in a Mac some do despite not knowingly supporting it.

http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/action...=34042&-search

1) This is greatly aggravating, I have to spend a lot more money for a simple component than the PC trogs.
Are you really just finding this out now?

supernova777
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2007, 09:27 PM

Im using a Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter (WMP54G)
and it seems to be detected as an Airport Card...... Works natively with OS X 10.4.x apparently!

Cold Warrior
Dec 31, 2007, 09:30 PM

Two years and ten months usually brings that kind of progress.

Locking this zombie thread.

Forum Links
Forum Rules