Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > cross platform client/server

cross platform client/server
abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2008, 06:05 PM

I would like to be able to transfer files from a mac to a windows machine.

I just want something simple and cross platform. setting up a VPN is overkill for what I'd like to do. ultimately I'd like to just install a server on my windows machine and transfer files from my macbook to the windowsbox.

I don't want FTP since it's not encrypted and I've never really had an easy time setting up an FTP server on windows. too much shareware/not quality software. I'd like it to be free with encryption.

is this feasible?

I've looked at the mini-sftp server offered on this page but I've been away from windows for so long that I don't know what's quality anymore.

larkost
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2008, 08:07 PM

Why not turn on "Remote Login" on the Mac and then use scp (PuTTY is a good free Windows client) to transfer things?

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 5, 2008, 09:50 PM

Are you planning on moving files from two computers in the same room, or are they quite remote from each other? If you're in the same room, it's trivial. If not, it's "not trivial" but not hard either.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

abbaZaba  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2008, 09:51 PM

it would be remotely

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 5, 2008, 10:33 PM

Instead of installing a server on your Windows box, is pulling from your Mac or another machine on the Windows machine an option?

abbaZaba  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2008, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Instead of installing a server on your Windows box, is pulling from your Mac or another machine on the Windows machine an option?
no because I will be sending files to the windows box from a macbook which will be mobile. there won't be anyway that the windowsbox will be able to keep tracker of where the macbook is connecting from. this is why I was looking for a client/server type of solution.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 5, 2008, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by abbaZaba View Post
no because I will be sending files to the windows box from a macbook which will be mobile. there won't be anyway that the windowsbox will be able to keep tracker of where the macbook is connecting from. this is why I was looking for a client/server type of solution.
I was hoping you wouldn't say that. I could suggest all sorts of Mac/Unix based solutions, but my knowledge stops when it comes to installing stuff on Windows, sadly...

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2008, 12:19 AM

How much data ?

http://www.getdropbox.com/ is great, but not exactly a client / server solution.

-t

Parvez
Forum Regular
Aug 6, 2008, 03:12 AM

If you need an invite to DropBox, drop me a PM with your email address.

I still have 10 left

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2008, 09:46 PM

FolderShare if there's only NAT on one end, Dropbox if there's NAT on both ends.

abbaZaba  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2008, 10:04 PM

seems as if DropBox is good enough. I'm gonna try that out.

Parvez
Forum Regular
Aug 6, 2008, 11:05 PM

I have 9 left. These invites run out really fast and seems like everyone wants one of them.

Get it while I have some left

Parvez
Forum Regular
Aug 8, 2008, 08:10 PM

I just got 15 more invites. The community leader of Dropbox is too nice.

abbaZaba  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2008, 04:48 PM

this isn't cross platform but for my purposes of transferring files over a wifi network between two macs (and an imac located at a remote location) I am using this:

http://zankasoftware.com/wired/

it has partial file transfers so if my wifi drops I don't lose the whole file which is what I want.

abbaZaba  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2008, 07:56 PM

well after putsing around with Wired, I decided it's not for me. it's great if you need multiple users with different access privileges but I do not. I ditched it in favor of SFTP (since it's built into OSX) and I'm using Cyberduck to connect. to access my window machine, I installed the mini SFTP server located in this tutorial:

http://jameser.blogspot.com/2006/07/...erver-for.html

it only allows one account, but like I said I don't need more than one.

the only problem I'm running into is the instability of accessing my mac mini since it's only connected through Wifi. man alive, I wish I had a wired connection for it in my apartment...

Forum Links
Forum Rules