Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Disk image permissions problem

Disk image permissions problem
jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2009, 06:46 PM

I am trying to backup my Tiger install disk. Made disk image, which is too big to burn to a DVD. Want to trash some stuff, such as the Japanese folder, and other localizations, even, if I must, the Xcode tools folder. Trouble is, I don't have sufficient permissions. I got Info, unlocked the dmg and set all permissions to read/write, I still cannot trash anything. I am logged in as admin.

Thank you for any suggestions!!

ibook_steve
Jan 10, 2009, 10:25 PM

It might be easier to simply purchase a small pack of DL disks and make a direct copy instead of trying to do this.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

jmiddel  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2009, 06:01 PM

Steve, thank you much for replying. 2 questions. Why is it so hard to work with a dmg and permissions? And, do older machines read DL media? I have an early PowerBook, and I don't think that the Install disk is DL. The original Panther disk can't have been on DL, or yes?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 11, 2009, 06:04 PM

Panther was on CDs.

You've not gotten Panther, Tiger and Leopard confused have you?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 11, 2009, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by jmiddel View Post
I am trying to backup my Tiger install disk. Made disk image
Assuming you don't have a burner that can write DL discs, why don't you just make a compressed dmg?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

jmiddel  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 12, 2009, 01:26 AM

No Seanc, I am not confused, except for not remembering that Panther was on CDs, it has been a while I do not have Leopard. I use Tiger, which is on a DVD. All the more reason to wonder whether my PB can read/write DL dvds, if it initially came with CD install disks, the optical drive must be pretty old!

CharlesS, I will try that, is a compressed dmg bootable and installable?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2009, 01:42 AM

Being able to burn a disc has nothing to do with being able to read it. I'm pretty sure any DVD drive worth its price tag can read dual-layer discs.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2009, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by jmiddel View Post
CharlesS, I will try that, is a compressed dmg bootable and installable?
No, but then neither is an uncompressed dmg, so I've got to admit that I'm a little confused as to what you are trying to do.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2009, 02:12 PM

He wants to clone his install DVD, I think. But it's too big for a single-layer disc, so he wants to delete some unessential files from the installer and then burn it.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2009, 02:34 PM

Ah, I see. The problem is, though, that the .dmg isn't going to be any more burnable from deleting things off of it - it'll still be a DL-sized .dmg.

What he could do, I suppose, would be to make the .dmg, delete some stuff, then make a new disk image the size of a single-layer DVD and use the Restore tab in Disk Utility to asr the original image to the new image, and then burn that, but it'd be a pain (and it might not be bootable - when I used to make BootCD, I had to create my disk images using the hdiutil program with a few command-line options in order to get the driver partition to be there - dunno whether they've fixed that since then). My suggestion would be just to get an external DVD burner that can burn dual-layer discs.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2009, 02:39 PM

If you have a spare external hard drive, just clone the install disc to there.
Vandelay Industries

Cold Warrior
Jan 12, 2009, 02:40 PM

1. Maybe create a sparse dmg, use Disk Utility to 'restore' from install DVD to sparse DMG, delete stuff from sparse DMG, then unmount to have the sparse image shrink itself. Similar to what CharlesS said.

Does Tiger's DU have the restore option?

2. Another option is to back it up to an external drive partition. Make something maybe 10 GB in size, then use Disk Utility to restore from the install DVD to the partition. What's awesome is that this partition is bootable, will act as the Tiger install disc, and operate at Firewire/USB 2.0 speeds -- much better than a DVD on all accounts.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2009, 03:05 PM

I'm pretty sure that a sparse dmg wouldn't contain the driver partitions necessary to make the DVD bootable, though.

I will, however, agree with you that an external drive is definitely the best solution, if you have one.

Forum Links
Forum Rules