Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Running Windoze7 in VirtualBox slooows my iMac

Running Windoze7 in VirtualBox slooows my iMac
jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 3, 2010, 09:06 PM

Am trying to run Windoze7 in VB on a new i7 iMac with 4gigs ram. I've assigned it 2.25 gigs of memory and 2 processors. When VB is starting W7, the rest of my computer is unusable. Stuff is responsive, just slow, as in 20 seconds to bring another window to front. Couple of minutes to load a webpage. Until I quit Windows and VB, this state remains the same.

Does anyone have this experience, is VB slower than VMFusion or Parallels, and will things work normally if I increase the iMac's ram to 8 or 12 gigs?

Thank you.

Cold Warrior
Jun 3, 2010, 09:54 PM

give it 1 core and perhaps less RAM.

VB is quick, just sounds like you're assigning the vm too many resources, which is dragging down your OS X experience.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2010, 11:00 PM

Yeah, you are starving OS X of the resources it needs, that is way too much RAM to allocate it. You can verify this by watching your memory usage in top while this is running, particularly swap and your inactive/free numbers.

What version of Virtualbox are you running?

jmiddel  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 20, 2010, 04:39 PM

You are right, I got it!! Thank you very much

Forum Links
Forum Rules