Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Outlook receives, cannot send messages

Outlook receives, cannot send messages
jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
May 5, 2011, 05:33 PM

I receive my emails just fine, but when I send, the indicator just spins, then I get a message that an operation has timed out, maybe because the server is down. But it isn't, given the incoming mail. The ISP's tech support has reset everything to no avail, and insists that the fault lies with Outlook.

Thank you for any suggestions!

ibook_steve
May 5, 2011, 06:08 PM

The server that you receive mail from isn't necessarily the same server you use to send mail. Is this IMAP mail or are you trying to connect to an Exchange server? What are your account settings?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

jmiddel  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 6, 2011, 06:19 PM

It's a POP account with Earthlink. Incoming server: pop.pipeline.com Outgoing server: smtpauth.earthlink.net.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
May 6, 2011, 06:29 PM

Are you authenticating your SMTP connection?

jmiddel  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 6, 2011, 08:03 PM

Yes. I reet the PW with Earthlink in case it got hashed, so that part should be OK.

ibook_steve
May 6, 2011, 09:08 PM

Ugh, Earthlink still uses POP instead of IMAP?

Anyway, I'm assuming you have everything set as shown here:

Email Server Settings

especially the smtp port number.

Steve

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
May 7, 2011, 04:10 AM

I checked, they're running IMAP on imap.pipeline.com - at least, I can telnet to it...

jmiddel  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 7, 2011, 08:33 PM

_Steve, thank you!! It was the port. The default port is 25, so I checked 'Override default port', replaced it with 587, and it works. Now, 1) why did this happen after years of using port 25 worked just fine and 2) why does Earthlink not set the port it wants automatically?

seanc, do you recommend that I change over to an IMAP account with Earthlink, and if so why?

PS Pipeline is a part of Earthlink, they bought it many years ago.

ibook_steve
May 8, 2011, 01:43 AM

With IMAP, you don't have to download all your messages. They stay on the server so you can get them anywhere at any time and you basically always have a backup.

I don't understand your question about EL setting the port automatically. If that's the port they use, you have to set it to that in your mail client. Yes, 25 is standard, but for some reason or another, EL is using something else.

Steve

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 8, 2011, 03:19 AM

Port 587 is the standard port used by standalone email clients sending outbound messages. This port was established in part so that ISPs can block outbound port 25 which could be used by rogue mail systems.

The cliff notes: port 587 is standard, there is no harm in using it. Access to Earthlink's port 25 might have been deprecated, discontinued, or disabled out of necessity due to spam.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 8, 2011, 09:11 AM

There are people still using Earthlink?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ghporter
Administrator
May 8, 2011, 10:22 AM

besson3c's explanation is spot on. A LOT of ISPs have completely dropped use of port 25 for SMTP mail, exactly as he states. I'm concerned that some have just switched ports and aren't using more advanced authentication and other security measures to prevent misuse of their mail systems.

IMAP, as stated, has many advantages over POP/SMTP. It isn't perfect, and unless properly implemented and secured, it can be just as bad as POP-the specifications aren't strict enough to ensure IMAP features are always observed and appropriately implemented. But it's way better than POP except in extremely limited circumstances.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

jmiddel  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 10, 2011, 02:03 AM

besson3c I think you are right about the sudden deprecation of port 25, my wife's MacBook needed the same correction at the same time, both our machines worked fine before. Thank you for the info! -Steve and ghporter, I get it and am looking into changing to IMAP. As long as I can make sure that every email I get is saved, unless deleted, on my my HD, for needed documentation.

Big Mac, Yeah, an old habit from the dial-up dark ages 5 bucks/month and I keep my address.

Forum Links
Forum Rules