Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac 27" replacing hard drive

iMac 27" replacing hard drive
jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 16, 2011, 04:00 PM

My year and a half old iMac's HD failed. Since I have been mucking around in my machines ever since Apple made it possible, I'd rather replace it myself than schlepp all 30.5 lbs of it the the AppleStore. Has anyone here done this and knows any tricks or things to lookout for?

Thanks in advance!

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2011, 04:27 PM

I've replaced the drive in my iMac. Use the appropriate guide from ifixit and make sure you have the right tools. It's not particularly difficult to do, but I found re-inserting one of the cables a little tricky. Make sure you replace your hard drive with one from the same manufacturer. You may have to use smcFanControl to regulate the fan speed after you replace the drive.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2011, 05:53 PM

Replacing the HD isn't hard. Stopping the fans from wigging out is. Apple use non standard pins for the temp sensors internal to the drives as well as custom firmware on the drive boards in these so any non Apple drive will cause the fans to spin out of control. Which is lame since the HD should be a her replaceable part in any computer. The correct Apple drives are not readily available outside Apple's own repair centres.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2011, 07:19 PM

AFAIK, the custom firmware only applies to the mid-2011 i3/i5/i7 models.

So if this thing is a year-and-a-half old, it's still running a Core 2 Duo, and the custom firmware issue does not apply.

For those newer models, a company called Gravis was going to offer the cBreeze temperature sensor, which apparently does work. I don't know whether they sell it yet.

jmiddel  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 24, 2011, 01:45 AM

Drive installed, fans ON! I tried smcFanControl, does nothing. Very hot, as usual. It is a i7 2.8G, acquired early May 2010. Thank you all for helping.

EveryMac.com's page for this iMac: iMac "Core i7" 2.8 27-Inch (Late 2009) Specs (Late 2009, BTO/CTO, iMac11,1, A1312, 2374) @ EveryMac.com
( Last edited by jmiddel; Oct 24, 2011 at 02:46 AM. )

customergeddon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2012, 08:36 AM

I’d like to draw everybody’s attention to an issue that has arisen that APPLE seems complacent in rectifying. it is affecting many people worldwide.

It may be that this topic is covered in-depth within this forum or website, but I would like to offer a succinct (as possible) summation of the information I have researched.

Google “Smokey / grey blotches on imac” and see for yourself or read the 39 page (and growing) forum thread at apple.

If you buy a 27inch Imac it appears that within a matter of 24 months the units LED screen will develop Blotches that can only be fixed by APPLE. This (from the view of technically minded forum posts) appears to be caused by overheating of the unit and/or dust that is trapped within the LCD panel (not the glass), people much smarter than I have concluded it may be a design fault, thus unsolvable without a FULL RECALL of models made from 2009 onwards.

APPLES RESPONSE:
SHOCKER: They have kept it quiet; many people have had their screen replaced by apple (with refurbished screens no less) only for the problem to develop again within a matter of months. APPLE tells most people that they will only have one screen replaced. If you are not covered by APPLECARE or the warranty you are on your own. APPLE has not acknowledged the problem AT ALL and from my research seem to be blaming peoples ‘Environment’ or ‘overuse’.
There is a lengthy forum thread over at apple (currently at 39 pages), Apple have developed a worrying stance of deleting any conversations where people are discussing this in negative manner, WHICH MEANS THEY ARE AWARE.

MY EXPERIENCE:
I saved a long time to buy an apple Mac in April 2010. The machine until this point has been faultless. My machine developed gray blotches across the screen about 5 days ago; these are worsening by the day. You can see an example of the blotches on YOUTUBE.
I am not covered by the warranty or by apple care, which means I am responsible for this myself. A replacement screen is around £1000.00 (I spent £1650.00 already on a machine that has lasted barely a year). Even if APPLE were ‘gracious’ enough to help me out of warranty, the problem seems to simply reappear with people replacing their screens 4/5 times within a matter of months. My machine has also developed a worrying trend of blowing its plugs 10 amp fuse every two days, something else that seems to be fairly commonplace. I have yet to call APPLE, as I don’t wish to have the screen replaced with an inferior screen. If and when I do, I shall record the conversation and put it up on YOUTUBE for all to hear.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 24, 2012, 11:39 AM

I have replaced many many screens provided by Apple under warranty and if they were refurbished or used, there was no way to tell. They were all in perfect condition.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Thorzdad
Jan 24, 2012, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by customergeddon View Post
...I have yet to call APPLE...
This pretty much renders your screed invalid.
Until you actually talk to Apple, everything else you've said is meaningless, clueless noise.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 24, 2012, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
This pretty much renders your screed invalid.
Until you actually talk to Apple, everything else you've said is meaningless, clueless noise.
And off-topic to this thread, to boot.

Thorzdad
Jan 24, 2012, 05:14 PM

True. But, sometimes we like to leave stuff in the yard for everyone to play with.

Forum Links
Forum Rules