Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Grunting iMac

Grunting iMac
jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 19, 2012, 06:04 PM

My 2010 i7 iMac has started making a strange noise: a 3 sec grunt at ~510hz, with a 3 sec interval. It comes from the right side. It does not sound like any failing HD I've ever heard, and it's not the DVD drive, as I played a CD which did not affect the grunts a bit.

This is why I had misgivings getting an all in one machine that I can't easily open up and check out. Rats.

andi*pandi
Apr 19, 2012, 06:15 PM

It doesn't sound good. Back up anyhow.

jmiddel  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 19, 2012, 08:01 PM

I am backed up, always! I just wish I knew exactly what is wrong, the HD was replaced end of 10/11, I have an extra if needed. Just don't want to open the machine without knowing exactly what needs to be done, it's such a pain to open.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2012, 04:23 AM

Well that's easy to troubleshoot. Boot from an external drive and unmount your internal. Wait for it to spin down, and if you still hear the sound it's obviously not your drive.

Simple!

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Nergol
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 20, 2012, 06:14 AM

I've heard the same from a failing optical drive.

P
Apr 20, 2012, 06:39 AM

Could also be a failing fan that tries to spin up and then fails, but HD seems the likeliest option. You could check a teardown on ifixit to see if you can see what is located there.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

cgc
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2012, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Nergol View Post
I've heard the same from a failing optical drive.
Yeah but that's usually ~511 Hz.

jmiddel  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 20, 2012, 06:27 PM

1. Mods, please do something about previous post which totally derails my point. Thanks.

2. Did what Big Mac suggested, noise persisted, but then I realized that I could not eject the disk afte successfully unmounting the volume. Since the disk was available for verify and repair, is it not still active?

3. The noise has a constancy that seems to give credence to Ps fan idea, it's dull, as opposed to the higher pitched chittering HDs make. In fact it seems totally independent from the actual HD's modest sound. and Negrol, the optical drive played a CD fine, again while the noise did its thing.

I don't mean P's post, the one before
( Last edited by jmiddel; Apr 20, 2012 at 06:32 PM. Reason: was not aware of Ps post)

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2012, 07:01 PM

Play both a DVD and a CD to rule out the optical drive. There is 2 sets of lasers.

Addition, Burn a CD and Burn a DVD as well. Modern drives might only have 1 laser to read DVD and CD and 1 laser to burn.

Could you record the sound and post that?
( Last edited by Athens; Apr 20, 2012 at 07:08 PM. )
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Forum Links
Forum Rules