Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Powerbook AL 17” dose not startup from Desktop clone, 15” AL PB does. Complex OS cras

Powerbook AL 17” dose not startup from Desktop clone, 15” AL PB does. Complex OS cras
jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
May 29, 2007, 12:56 PM

Just got 17” PB, G4, 1.66. Need to have it be a clone of my desktop (DT), a G5 running 10.3.9. Using both SuperDuper and CCC, as I have done without ay problem for the last six years, with an iBook and an almost three year old 15”AL PB, I have cloned the DT HD to the 17” PB, and, at restart, the PB hangs at different stages of the boot, from blue death screen to starting printing or internet services. The furthest I have gotten is half a desktop, with dock, frozen mouse dead clock and no icons. I have done the following:

Run fsck, permissions repair, clear caches, reset pram, booted in safe mode, booted in open firmware and reset nv-ram etc (this is actually how I got to the frozen desktop), used DiskWarrior on both the PB disk, and then on the disk from which I was cloning, before trying again.

To test the PB I re-installed Tiger, and all was well. So this is not a hardware problem. To make sure that my software was not corrupted, I cloned the desktop to the 15” PB. All is well there also. Please do not tell me to install Tiger unless there is a compelling reason.

So what I don’t get, is why the same desktop HD can successfully clone itself to the 15” model PB and not to the 17” one. Same processor type, speed bumped from 1.33 to 1.66, a minor increment.

Thank you for any info you can offer

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
May 29, 2007, 12:59 PM

It requires Tiger to boot. In fact, I'm almost positive it requires at least 10.4.2 to boot.
Vandelay Industries

jmiddel  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 29, 2007, 03:25 PM

So what is the difference between the two PBs that would make one only able to boot in Tiger?

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
May 29, 2007, 03:55 PM

It could be any number of differences. The newer 17" PowerBook requires drivers that just aren't provided by Panther or even 10.4.0. Generally, a Mac requires the version of the OS to be equal to or greater than what it shipped with. That model shipped with Tiger.
Vandelay Industries

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 29, 2007, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by jmiddel View Post
So what is the difference between the two PBs that would make one only able to boot in Tiger?
If it's the original PB G4 1.67GHz (January 2005), it requires 10.3.7. If it's the last release with the double layer superdrive (October 2005), it requires 10.4.2.

Mactracker is a great little app that's really handy for obtaining such information.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

jmiddel  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 29, 2007, 09:27 PM

Thank you Art for the information, it always helps to know why things don't work as expected. Big Mac, the Mactracker app is great, what a database! Thank you!

I suppose I will have to upgrade to Tiger, which I am loath to do when I read all the problems on the MacFixit site.

JKT
Professional Poster
May 30, 2007, 07:24 PM

I suppose I will have to upgrade to Tiger, which I am loath to do when I read all the problems on the MacFixit site.
...which the majority of people never experience. Don't forget that MFI, by its very nature, attracts people who suffer problems and does not reflect the number of people that actually do. FWIW, there were just (roughly speaking) as many problems reported for each of the 10.3.x, 10.2.x, 10.1.x and 10.0.x updates at MFI as there have been for each 10.4.x update.

OreoCookie
May 30, 2007, 07:53 PM

The 17" PowerBook should come with a Tiger CD. You shouldn't clone the drives, but use Migration Assistant instead to transfer all your applications, your data and your settings to your new machine.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 31, 2007, 12:52 AM

I didn't see that your desktop is a G5. Wow, you are a late adopter. You've been missing out: 10.4 is worthwhile upgrade, and there's no reason not to upgrade based on your hardware. The people who have problems with OS X upgrades either have a lot of specialized software, haxies or underlying hardware problems. I have never had a single problem with any OS X upgrade since 10.0. At this point, however, you may be better served jumping to 10.5 instead.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules