Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Using Remote Desktop VNC with Windows-based computer

Using Remote Desktop VNC with Windows-based computer
abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2008, 01:13 AM

I know I can manually enter a windows machine's address into ARD and have it appear in ARD.

if I have a VNC server setup on the Windows machine can ARD use this so I can view the Windows machine's screen?

peterthorn
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 9, 2008, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by abbaZaba View Post
I know I can manually enter a windows machine's address into ARD and have it appear in ARD.

if I have a VNC server setup on the Windows machine can ARD use this so I can view the Windows machine's screen?
In that case, why not use a VNC viewer like jolly fast vnc?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2008, 09:44 AM

Or use Apple's Screen Sharing found in /System/Library/CoreServices/

-t

abbaZaba  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2008, 12:09 PM

I am aware I can use other programs to connect to the VNC service. I use ARD to keep track of all the Macs in my household. we have two windows computers though. I would like to be able to control everything from one applciation which is why I asked if I could do this.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2008, 02:05 PM

Yes, if you install a VNC server on your Windows machine, you can connect to it with a VNC client (which ARD is). This seems obvious and I'm kind of confused why you asked.

abbaZaba  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2008, 03:53 PM

well I manually added the Windows computer to the Computers list in ARD, manually entered in the correct Login and Password information and clicked "Control" and it refuses the connection.

now, if you are just assuming it works without actually knowing then you are not helping me.

so again I ask: is it possible for the VNC service in ARD to use the VNC service on a windows based computer? I have entered the computer's information correctly into ARD.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2008, 05:42 PM

What VNC server did you install on the Windows box?

Are you aware the Windows built-in Remote Desktop app uses the RDP protocol instead of the VNC protocol? RDP and VNC are not compatible.

abbaZaba  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2008, 06:56 PM

the windows machine is running TightVNC which is why I have been asking about the VNC protocol

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2008, 08:13 PM

How about, for trouble shooting purposes, use Screen Sharing or a VNC client of your choice and confirm that the VNC server on the PC is running correctly.

I have the feeling that something on the PC is borked, not your ARD.

-t

abbaZaba  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2008, 11:44 PM

Screen Sharing works well. Jolly Fast VNC works well. ARD just cannot accept the connection to the VNC service running on the two Windows machines

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2008, 11:46 PM

Did you check the various preferences in ARD ?

-t

abbaZaba  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2008, 11:49 PM

various preferences? what do you mean by that? when I add the Windows machines I can enter a Login and Password, which I would assume would be the account I would like to login.

even if I put the Windows' machine's VNC password manually into ARD it still does not accept the connection.

I guess ultimately what I am wondering is if anyone has actually gotten ARD working with a Windows VNC service?

Forum Links
Forum Rules