Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Syncing iPhone with 2 computers

Syncing iPhone with 2 computers
abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2009, 10:20 AM

my music resides on an external drive connected to my mac mini. I mainly sync my iphone with the mini because all my music is on it and that's the fastest way to get it on the iphone.

with 3.0 I can now sync Notes. I mainly use Mail on my macbook so I am trying to sync the phone to my macbook so that I get the Notes in my macbook's mail.app.

when I plugged the phone into the macbook and tried to sync, it asked me if I wanted to Merge or Replace the information on the phone with the information on the macbook. I am not sure what this will ultimately end up doing. I have copied the mini's iTunes folder over to the macbook so I thought this would work but apparently not.

so, how can I sync the phone such that I can plug it into the mini and sync the music and whatnot and be able to plug it into the macbook and sync the notes into Mail?

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 19, 2009, 12:07 PM

Go into iTunes on the second computer and change the sync settings in iTunes once the iPhone is plugged in. It's all under the "info" tab.

abbaZaba  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2009, 01:46 PM

like I said, I tried this and it prompted me with an option to Merge the information or Replace the information and I asked: if I Merge it, nothing will get duplicated?

QSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 22, 2009, 11:46 AM

You need to specify what you wanted synced to each computer, with no "overlap."

In iTunes on both the mini and MB, uncheck "Automatically sync when this iPhone is connected" and check "Sync only checked songs and videos." In iTunes on the mini, go to the Music tab and select "Sync Music." Select whatever else you want to sync from the mini. In iTunes on the MB, don't sync music or anything else that's being synced from the mini.

I did something like this for quite awhile before Exchange support came in with v2.0 of the iPhone software. I used to sync Calendars/Contacts from my work PC and music and other media from my old iMac G4 at home. It worked fine as long as there was no overlap in the sources for each type of info that went on the iPhone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules