Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Lion: Removing Classic and PPC apps

Lion: Removing Classic and PPC apps
jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 16, 2011, 01:13 AM

As I am preparing for the allegedly Rosetta-less Lion, I've listed my apps in System Profiler and I have almost 100 Classic apps. Not having used Classic for 10 years, I realize that stuff gets installed, and there seems to be no housekeeping function that gets rid of it once it's obsolete. So I tried to Spotlight the Classic version of Calculator, to find the app's location, no result. So my question is: where can I locate these apps to remove them?
Thank you!

Thorzdad
Jun 16, 2011, 08:43 AM

If you go back into the System Profiler and click on an app, the path to that file is shown in the lower panel.

jmiddel  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 16, 2011, 08:50 PM

Thank you!

jcarr
Senior User
Jun 21, 2011, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by jmiddel View Post
I have almost 100 Classic apps
I would not think that this is an issue since any machine capable of running Classic apps will not run Mac OS X Lion. When you migrate to a new machine that is capable of running Lion, don't migrate the Classic apps.
I'm cookoo for Cocoa Apps!

jmiddel  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 21, 2011, 07:59 PM

Well, I'm running a 2010 iMac i7, that certainly cannot run Classic, the apps simply were parked in a Folder in Users/Library/Classic, at least that is what I remember, and never got removed. I have a lot of old stuff that I every now and then manually remove. I don't think Apple is too invested in housekeeping unless something actually interferes with the new app or OS. I actually just used Classic for a year after adopting 10.1.5, then had no need to.

Forum Links
Forum Rules