Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBPr 13" 1680x1050 anyone used this>

MBPr 13" 1680x1050 anyone used this>
jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 18, 2013, 08:04 PM

Has anyone been happy using the 13 incher at that high res for text based work?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2013, 01:48 AM

1440x900 is as high as I can go comfortably

jmiddel  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 20, 2013, 11:04 PM

Thanks! That's what I thought could be the case, so I might as well just get the MBA, same res and half pound lighter. Just for vacation, nothing heavy duty processor wise

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 21, 2013, 04:39 AM

Isn't the actual resolution still higher, though? The retina display is rendered at 2880 x 1800 and interpolated down, so it should still give a substantially better image, especially for text.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 21, 2013, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Isn't the actual resolution still higher, though? The retina display is rendered at 2880 x 1800 and interpolated down, so it should still give a substantially better image, especially for text.
Sitting with them side by side I don't think the rMBP is much better for text than the Air.

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2013, 02:32 PM

I must disagree with that last statement. I find the image on a MBPr 13" at 1440x900 much better than on a Macbook Air 13" at 1440x900. I looked at them side by side and the difference was very clear. My wife said that when standing up she could read the text on the MBPr while the MBA was blurry and hard to read. I do agree though that 1440x900 is as high as I would go. I've tried 1680x1050 and had a hard time reading without squinting.

For writing I would certainly suggest a Retina display. Never in my life have I seen fonts rendered so crisp and clear.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 25, 2013, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by D'Espice View Post
I must disagree with that last statement. I find the image on a MBPr 13" at 1440x900 much better than on a Macbook Air 13" at 1440x900. I looked at them side by side and the difference was very clear. My wife said that when standing up she could read the text on the MBPr while the MBA was blurry and hard to read.
This was my impression as well, but it has been a long time since I saw them side by side, so I deferred to mduell's assessment.

I recall that the difference was especially apparent the further away from the display one moved.

jmiddel  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 25, 2013, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by D'Espice View Post
I must disagree with that last statement. I find the image on a MBPr 13" at 1440x900 much better than on a Macbook Air 13" at 1440x900. I looked at them side by side and the difference was very clear. My wife said that when standing up she could read the text on the MBPr while the MBA was blurry and hard to read. I do agree though that 1440x900 is as high as I would go. I've tried 1680x1050 and had a hard time reading without squinting.

For writing I would certainly suggest a Retina display. Never in my life have I seen fonts rendered so crisp and clear.
Thank you, that was very helpful. I will still do a one over for both at the AppleStore, but it will have to be the retina, text resolution is key for me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules