Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Dishwasher fixit?

Dishwasher fixit?
tightsocks
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2009, 09:35 PM

Are there any DIY'ers here?
I am wondering if it is normal for there to be a small amount of water left in the dishwasher drain after it is finished? It's not pooling in the bottom of the dw floor, but when I took the drain cover off there is water in the area leading down to the drain...

Also, does the dw fill from the same place that it drains?

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2009, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by tightsocks View Post
Are there any DIY'ers here?
I am wondering if it is normal for there to be a small amount of water left in the dishwasher drain after it is finished? It's not pooling in the bottom of the dw floor, but when I took the drain cover off there is water in the area leading down to the drain...

Also, does the dw fill from the same place that it drains?
If there's water remaining after a cycle, something is clogging up the drain. See if there is paper or the like wrapped around the drain

The input water supply is separate from the drain.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 30, 2009, 07:54 AM

How much water are we talking about? No drain is 100% effective all the time. If you're seeing a few tablespoons worth (which can LOOK like a whole lot!), it's probably just a fluke of how the machine was loaded and how the drain cycle ran. If it's a cup or more (spill a cup of water-that looks like an enormous amount of water!), you may have a problem, most likely a blockage, like msuper69 says.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2009, 07:58 AM

Run disk utility and repair permissions? Sorry that's all I got.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2009, 10:10 AM

It's normal. No dishwasher I've ever owned drained completely, the filter was always submerged. I think this might be on purpose, to stop the filter from clogging with dried residue.

SVass
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2009, 10:18 AM

If it empties near a built in garbage disposal unit with an air gap unit, then the air gap unit may be plugged acting like a siphon. Some garbage disposals have a plug on the side allowing a direct connection. An adaptor allowing said connection can be purchased at any large hardware store for less than 5 bucks. Cleaning the air gap unit is free. Small amounts of water are not a problem.
sam

tightsocks  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2009, 11:17 AM

I am about to move into this apartment.
This is what I found when I removed the drain cover to clean the sludge that was growing on it.

I cleaned everything that was visible, but I'm wondering what is going on just beneath the drain...

That sewer grate thing also comes out and it is that oval area that still has some water in it after a cycle.

There is no garbage disposal, but the dw drain line is connected to the sink drain, just above the trap.

I can't seem to find any sort of filter screen.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 30, 2009, 12:11 PM

The area UNDER the grate having water in it is completely normal. I'd soak the grate and the cover for that area in bleach (and maybe scrub the area around the drain with it too) just to make sure that everything's sanitary, but what you're seeing as "sludge" there is probably "they didn't bother to scrape half an inch of old food off the dishes" rather than "something's wrong with the dishwasher."

tightsocks  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2009, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
The area UNDER the grate having water in it is completely normal.
Currently, if I stick my finger in one of the grate holes there is water in that oval drain area. Seems like it may be on the cusp of what is normal...

Originally Posted by ghporter
I'd soak the grate and the cover for that area in bleach (and maybe scrub the area around the drain with it too) just to make sure that everything's sanitary,
Yup. I cleaned the grate and cover (needed a toothbrush and q-tips to get in every nook!) and then soaked 'em in a bleach solution.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 30, 2009, 04:29 PM

You should be fine then. But that crud you cleaned out may indicate that the dishwasher isn't the most robust device around, ya know? When you move in, pay attention to how well it works and if it isn't up to snuff, report it to the apartment management. It may be time for the one in the apartment to "retire."

lexapro
Baninated
Jun 30, 2009, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew Stephens View Post
Run disk utility and repair permissions? Sorry that's all I got.

Forum Links
Forum Rules