Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Strange Click on 12"PB

Strange Click on 12"PB
euchomai
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2003, 01:54 PM

Strange thing happening here, different from the sound noise with other guys here. A strange speaker pop happens when sound has not been used for a few minutes, the sound on my other computer (iBook) when play is pushed or a mistake is made immediatly starts. On the 12" PB if the sound has not been used, a pop occurs then an awkward pause happens, then music begins. For the next couple of minutes all works fine, then again with the problems. What's up?

sensorfreaky
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 11, 2003, 08:25 PM

Originally posted by euchomai:
Strange thing happening here, different from the sound noise with other guys here. A strange speaker pop happens when sound has not been used for a few minutes, the sound on my other computer (iBook) when play is pushed or a mistake is made immediatly starts. On the 12" PB if the sound has not been used, a pop occurs then an awkward pause happens, then music begins. For the next couple of minutes all works fine, then again with the problems. What's up?
Normal unfortunately. I think Apple calls it a power-saving design (more like a bug?) whereby the sound goes to sleep. Very stupid design if you ask me. The click or pop is the actual awakening of the sound and thus the slight delay. It goes to sleep whenever the system doesn't access your computer's sound for a given amount of time (a few minutes). There is an app you can find on versiontracker (I forgot the name) that produces a non-audible "silent" sound every few minutes to prevent the system's sound from sleeping. It not only affects the new powerbooks but other Macs as well. My 17" iMac also does it although the pop isn't as obvious as my 12" PB's.

There are many other threads about this issue if want to search and read more about it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules