Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Arrange by name keyboard shortcut?

Arrange by name keyboard shortcut?
Truepop
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2004, 12:24 PM

Without paying for an app like quickkeys or keycue (I guess that leaves panther's built in shortcut pref) is there a way to make the arrange by name command a keyboard shortcut? or is there a freeware app that will do this?

Thank you.

megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 2, 2004, 06:56 PM

Originally posted by Truepop:
Without paying for an app like quickkeys or keycue (I guess that leaves panther's built in shortcut pref) is there a way to make the arrange by name command a keyboard shortcut? or is there a freeware app that will do this?
Panther's Keyboard Shotcuts thingy is purty. I find myself telling people how to use it far too often. Anyway, do the following;

1 - Quit the Finder (use TinkerTool to add that option to the Finder's Application menu; you can get rid of it later, if you want)
2 - Open System Preferences, Keyboard & Mouse, Keyboard Shotcuts
3 - Add an Application Keyboard Shotcut for the Finder, for the Menu Title "by Name"
4a - Give it the keyboard shortcut you want (eg - Command-Shift-R) and close System Preferences
4b - See Ammendment
5 - Open the Finder (click its icon in the Dock)

And now Command-Shift-R will sort the icons in the active Finder window by name (so long as you haven't got "Keep arranged by..." on for the View Options of that window)

[Ammendment]

If you want a keyboard shortcut that uses the Command key and one other character (eg - Command-R rather than Command-Shift-R), do the following;

4b - Open TextEdit and use its Open dialog box (the Finder is still quit) to open ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist
4c - Search for the phrase "by Name"
4d - The keyboard shortcut will be displayed as @$R (the @ is command, the $ is shift, and ~ is option)
4e - Delete the $, so that only @R is left
4f - Save, close TextEdit window

[/Ammendment]
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

Truepop  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2004, 08:01 PM

I tried doing the "by Name" and then assigning a key stroke but it never stuck for me because I was never able to use it. I guess the quiting of the finder was the trick.

Anubis IV
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 2, 2004, 08:44 PM

I have a related question...suppose I have a set of viewing options I like to assign to windows that are in icon view. For instance, I like my windows to have a light gray background (that I've already defined) and to be arranged by name. In fact, I've gone so far as to set that up as my option for "All windows" in the View Options window. Is there any way to set up a shortcut key so that I could do the equivalent of pressing Command-J then "All windows" instead of having to press those keys and hit that radio button?
"The captured hunter hunts your mind."
Profanity is the tool of the illiterate.

megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 3, 2004, 04:17 PM

Originally posted by Anubis IV:
I have a related question...suppose I have a set of viewing options I like to assign to windows that are in icon view. For instance, I like my windows to have a light gray background (that I've already defined) and to be arranged by name. In fact, I've gone so far as to set that up as my option for "All windows" in the View Options window. Is there any way to set up a shortcut key so that I could do the equivalent of pressing Command-J then "All windows" instead of having to press those keys and hit that radio button?
Not using Apple's own preference pane, no.

However, I used to use iKey to do something similar, so I know that you could use that. It can do screen-clicks.
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

Forum Links
Forum Rules