Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Another eBay Scam Artist

Another eBay Scam Artist
itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2006, 12:17 PM

Seeing as how we've covered this topic from time to time here before, I thought you all might be amused by this scam artist who tried to buy a Sony PSP I'm selling on eBay. First of all, he just registered yesterday and he kept his feedback private. Why the heck does eBay allow anyone to do that?

Anyway, check out his e-mail response to my invoice:

Hello,
Good Evening to you,how is business,family and all other things, hope all are in good condition. well I'm gilbert hayes from CA(Sebastopol),but Presently i'm leading a trade fair program in Austrialia.I saw your item above at ebay and i will like to buy it for my grandson that study in a Computer science school in University of Lagos at Nigeria Next week as a gift,i will like to informed you first of all that i will be handling the shipment on my own risk over to Nigeria.Do not worry about the shipping of the item,i have an account with FEDEX and will be sending you my FEDEX account number for the shipment, and if you decedided in sending the item to so that you can add the shipping cost to the cost of the product you can still do it and you will have to calculate the cost over to Ikeja,Lagos state,23401 Nigeria.Moreover i would have prefer to send you a cheque but due to the fact that i want you to ship the item first thing monday morning,i will be sending you the payment vai PAYPAL,and so make sure you get the package ready for monday shipment ok And kindly send me your paypal email address,so i can direct the payment to your account right away.
Best Regards
gilbert hayes.
And then he proceeds to send me a fake PayPal payment from [email protected]. Rrrrrriiiiggght. I swear, eBay is going downhill. A few weeks ago my seller account was hacked into and someone tried to list a bunch of Motorola cell phones under my name.
( Last edited by itai195; Sep 6, 2006 at 12:49 PM. )

Rumor
Sep 6, 2006, 12:19 PM

I've seen the same wording used not to long ago.
( Last edited by Rumor; Sep 6, 2006 at 12:51 PM. )
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2006, 02:15 PM

Could it be more obvious ?
Lagos and Nigeria all over the place...

-t

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2006, 02:16 PM

I remember way back in the day when eBay used to have scammers. Oh wait....

itai195  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2006, 02:55 PM

LOL I relisted the item, without a Buy It Now, and now I got this... I've sold a lot of things on eBay before but it's never been this bad.

Dear Seller,
I am Dr. Leonard Reind. a sociologist with U.N.A.I.D.S.IBase in USA, but out of the state now due to official duties, and a very busy person due ot the nature of my job,I'm interested in your Sony PSP Value Pack with 3 games,item which you displayed on Ebay.I want to get it for my Business Patners Son in West Africa as a Birth Day gift.So please if you are interested in selling this item for me, kindly send me your full names and address so that I can send out the money immediately via Stormpay Money Order as it is faster and also get approved max of hour.Stormpay is fast and reliable and secure with no stress of all payments.Also include your valid email address for confirmation of payment from Stormpay. I am offering you $250.00 for this item,shipping and handling cost.So Pls i will want you to ship out item before the end of this week due to the time needed.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Thanks and God bless
Urgently needed
Dr leonard.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2006, 03:03 PM

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2006, 03:07 PM

These are just the painfully obvious scams. There are plenty of hacked accounts (like yours) that list fake merchandise that never arrives once paid for. The lame buyer protection from ebay and paypal is rather limited and most often the buyer or seller gets scammed or receives unfair feedback. Ebay is definately less attractive these days whereas in person transactions like craigslist are better in my opinion.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 6, 2006, 03:38 PM

I hope you're reporting these scammers. eBay DOES take action when you tell them what's happening.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2006, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
I hope you're reporting these scammers. eBay DOES take action when you tell them what's happening.
eBay is very quick after the fact and reacting, but could do ALOT better being more pro-active in allowing stuff like this to not happen in the first place.

itai195  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2006, 03:49 PM

Yeah I reported both, but it's ridiculous that eBay can't do more to prevent this in the first place. In addition to improving the security of their users' accounts, I wish they'd give sellers better ways to control who gets to bid on items over $100 (e.g. nobody with 0 feedback who registered yesterday and keeps his feedback private).

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 6, 2006, 03:49 PM

...but who could manage monitoring the millions of posts, questions, and apparently valid winning bids? They NEED user feedback.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2006, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
...but who could manage monitoring the millions of posts, questions, and apparently valid winning bids? They NEED user feedback.
They have been given user feedback for years on the increase of scammers and various solutions to help the cause, yet nothing has changed...it's gotten worse.

In fact, they have dedicated forums for problems like this that are filled with complaints and user feedback, to which, very little is done.

I'd venture to say the lack of response on eBay's part has deterred people from continuing to leave feedback, as they feel hopeless and have come to expect nothing to happen. The whole idea of user feedback is actually working against eBay at this point in my opinion.

itai195  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2006, 05:01 PM

And another!

Dear Seller,
Good day to you,i am interested in your item displayed on ebay, i want to get this item for my friend's child who is currently studying in Africa as a congratulatory gift.I would have love to bid as others but the nature of my job will not allow me to do this at this time, I will be offering you $480.00 for this item. So please if you are interested in selling this item to me, kindly send me your paypal ID so that I can send out payment immediately via Paypal because it secure,fast,reliable, and scam free, As i said earlier am offering you $480.00 for this item this will include both the shipping and handling cost to africa.Your urgent response will be highly appreciated.
Thanks and God bless.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2006, 05:03 PM

That **** is why I don't like to sell on eBay anymore.

What's even worse that those emails: people bidding, and then asking to ship to Nigeria. WTF ?

-t

itai195  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2006, 05:11 PM

Well, I will not use Buy It Now anymore when selling, that's for sure. Too bad.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2006, 06:03 PM

You should send them a P-P-P-PSP.
( Last edited by goMac; Sep 6, 2006 at 06:11 PM. )
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Oversoul
Senior User
Sep 6, 2006, 06:10 PM

Wow... just wow...

How anyone would fall for that, I don't know.

ambush
Banned
Sep 6, 2006, 06:25 PM

eBay's like a pawn shop now.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2006, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by ambush
eBay's like a pawn shop now.
Nah, worse. At the pawn shop, you'd at lest get like 10 cents on the $, at eBay, you walk away with zilch.

-t

itai195  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2006, 06:31 PM

Hehe. Well all the complaining aside, I have found some really nice deals on eBay recently so maybe this is just payback

But I was planning on selling about $2k more merchandise later this year and now maybe I should reconsider. There just aren't many other appealing options.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2006, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by itai195
But I was planning on selling about $2k more merchandise later this year and now maybe I should reconsider. There just aren't many other appealing options.
Why not Craigslist ?

-t

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2006, 06:38 PM

I had no idea this many kids went to Africa to study.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Oversoul
Senior User
Sep 6, 2006, 06:40 PM

Depending on your city/market, Craigslist may not be as widely used. That said, Craigslist is great in big cities.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2006, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Oversoul
Depending on your city/market, Craigslist may not be as widely used. That said, Craigslist is great in big cities.
I know. But he's from California, so chances are he's close to a bigger city.

-t

itai195  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2006, 06:54 PM

Good suggestion, but Craigslist isn't a great option for what I'm going to sell. It needs a more national market.

itai195  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2006, 09:53 PM

And another, at least not Nigerian this time?

Hello,
I am interested in buying ur item and i will
like to know
the working condition if it new.....while i
will be paying u through electronic check
payment (VIA ONLINE (CHECK) which u will print on a versa check paper
and take to the bank for deposit or instant cashing point for instant
payment...so if u are ok with my offer and mode of
payment kindly get back to me so that we can discuss more about
this transaction.
(MONEY IN UR HAND AND THEN SHIPPMENT FOLLOWS) NO CHEATING ON BOTH SIDE FEAR GOD.!!!!!!
And shippment will be within the US.
Garcial

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2006, 10:13 PM

A surprising number of scammers are religious.
Chuck
___

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2006, 08:44 AM

How does anyone from Nigeria buy anything these days?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

andi*pandi
Sep 7, 2006, 09:09 AM

why does anyone bother to send these emails with different payment options, when the seller has listed the ACCEPTED PAYMENT OPTIONS right in the listing?! Again, like with spam, someone must click on it/fall for it.

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2006, 01:47 PM

Okay, I just skimmed this thread, but what's the scam here? Are they trying to get access to your PayPal account, or are they just trying to trick you into sending them the item for sale without real payment?

itai195  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2006, 01:49 PM

As far as I can tell, the original scam was primarily trying to gain access to my PayPal account. But the later ones seem to be trying to get the item without paying.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2006, 02:21 PM

How would the original scam get him into your Paypal account?
Chuck
___

itai195  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2006, 02:28 PM

He sent me an e-mail spoofing a PayPal payment and linking to a spoofed PayPal login page.

Forum Links
Forum Rules