Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Need help with IMAC

Need help with IMAC
knoman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2010, 11:46 PM

My friend asked me to find out if her children's IMAC computer is internet ready. I don't know anything about Macintosh. I turned it on, and an educational program immediately starts up. The kids names appear on the screen, and a lot of other options, but I can't figure out how to just get to the desktop. I don't even know if I'd be able to do anything if I happen to find the desktop, but hopefully it won't be that difficult. Can anyone tell me what to do next? Please?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 20, 2010, 03:44 AM

So, you are asking a forum to teach you how to use a Mac for the first time ?

I think it would be more efficient if you got yourself a book.
It's really hard to just on the fly type up a tutorial on how to use a completely new Operating System.

-t

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 20, 2010, 11:54 AM

I'm not meaning to sound rude, but it's gonna really be hard to teach you how to use a Mac over the internet. Do you have any friends or family with Macs?

reader50
Administrator
May 20, 2010, 04:26 PM

All macs for a long time have been internet-ready out of the box, provided you plug into a LAN with DHCP. A previous user could have changed the settings, and some connection types (PPPoE with user login for example) require additional settings. You need to reach System Preferences (OS X) or the Control Panels (OS 9) in order to check these settings.

It might help if you could tell us what iMac it is. Check the product label on the outside. Look for a product number, it may look something like this: M4984 or M8935LL/A or MA063LL/A

What would really help is to locate someone familiar with Macs, as others suggested. Ask the kids perhaps - they may know how to bypass the kid-security to reach the Desktop.

knoman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2010, 01:21 AM

Thanks for the information. I didn't realize that it was a security thing that I was trying to bypass. I just thought that maybe I was supposed to press a certain key and the desktop would appear.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2010, 08:17 AM

All iMacs are internet ready, but I find it hard to believe you didn't know what a log in screen was or that they didn't give you a password to use.

Once you log in, select the Apple Menu -> about this Mac and tell us about the speed, memory, and version of OSX.

Truthfully, if it is anything before OSX 10.3.0 and slower than 800MHz, it is going to be a dog on the internet.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Forum Links
Forum Rules