Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > MacAce Hosting - Anybody familiar?

MacAce Hosting - Anybody familiar?
Buck_W
Senior User
Jun 1, 2013, 07:55 PM

I'm interested in Mac-centric hosting options. Are any of you familiar with macace.net? How would they compare to other Mac hosting providers such as machighway.com? Thanks!
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2013, 02:19 AM

Why would you restrict yourself this way? This makes no sense to me whatsoever.

There is nothing a Mac server would offer you that a Linux VPS or shared hosting plan couldn't. A Mac server would have no impact on how you build your site, nor would it affect how it runs (although it might have a hard time scaling given the inadequate Mac hardware and VM host software out there).

If you sell Mac Desktop support or have some sort of Mac centric business and this is your idea of eating your own dog food so to speak, I think this is silly, this is simply not Apple's business. This would like a gamer trying to use his Nintendo to work on spreadsheets.

My advice is don't restrict yourself with these sorts of pointless constraints. If you are looking for a good shared hosting provider for a website, check out something like MediaTemple. If you are looking to build a web app in PHP or Ruby on Rails, look at setting your own Linux VPS using Amazon EC2, Rackspace, or Linode.

Buck_W  (op)
Senior User
Jun 9, 2013, 03:14 PM

Thanks for the response. I have used Media Temple in the past but was disappointed. I'm currently looking for a different hosting provider because the emails connected to my domain keep getting returned due to the IP getting flagged for spam. My provider basically says that blacklisting is becoming a regular part of using the internet. It's exasperating. I can see where this could be a problem in the shared hosting environment, but it has gotten to be more and more of a problem. Do some hosting providers have better track records and reputations in this regard?
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2013, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Buck_W View Post
Thanks for the response. I have used Media Temple in the past but was disappointed. I'm currently looking for a different hosting provider because the emails connected to my domain keep getting returned due to the IP getting flagged for spam. My provider basically says that blacklisting is becoming a regular part of using the internet. It's exasperating. I can see where this could be a problem in the shared hosting environment, but it has gotten to be more and more of a problem. Do some hosting providers have better track records and reputations in this regard?
You'll have that problem far less frequently with a VPS and your own dedicated IP. Otherwise, yeah, black/blocklisting is tricky business and not always the fault of the provider. Some anti-spam systems are downright goofy and are based on user feedback, which could be the result of subscribing to a list and forgetting that you did so, or just being too lazy to unsubscribe to a list.

Forum Links
Forum Rules