Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Finder Icon?

Finder Icon?
qkslvr
Dec 14, 2005, 06:58 PM

I'm brand new to this whole theming scene, but would like to get into it more.

One thing I am having trouble with is the Finder Icon. What is the simplest (and safest) way to change the Finder Icon in the dock. Also, using Candybar has become somewhat problematic, because now when I drag an icon into a well, it doesn't show the actual icon, but an icon of the format the image is in. What is causing this, or what formant should the icons be in?

saint_theodora
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2005, 07:51 PM

icons used in candybar should be .icns, as far as i know. i use a free program called iconographer to change .ico or .png to .icns. it isn't the prettiest program around, but it is small, easy and free. look for it on versiontracker or macupdate.

changing the finder without candybar involves changing system resources somewhere. i've never done it, so i can't really help you there. if candybar isn't changing your icons after it relaunches finder and the dock, you can always do it from activities monitor. sometimes it takes a few kicks to set it straight.

Syzygy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 14, 2005, 11:54 PM

iconverter is another simple icon converter I use for all my icon converting needs. You can also make an icon-only theme package using themepark and shapeshifter.

seaj11
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2005, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by qkslvr
I'm brand new to this whole theming scene, but would like to get into it more.

One thing I am having trouble with is the Finder Icon. What is the simplest (and safest) way to change the Finder Icon in the dock. Also, using Candybar has become somewhat problematic, because now when I drag an icon into a well, it doesn't show the actual icon, but an icon of the format the image is in. What is causing this, or what formant should the icons be in?
I don't know whart's going on with ShapeShifter, but one easy way to change the Finder icon is to apply a custom icon to the application, which is located in Macintosh HD:System:Library:CoreServices. Open the Get Info panel and paste the icon you'd like over the original icon. The Dock icon may flash the original occasionally, but on my computer (I'm running 10.3.9) it stays customized pretty consistently. The proper way to do it (and it will consistently appear as you like it in the Dock) is to replace the files finder.png and FinderIcon.icns (Macintosh HD:System:Library:CoreServices:SystemIcons.bundle: Contents:Resources). Hope this helps.
15-inch 2002 iMac G4/800MHz; Mac OS X 10.4.10

mattmarshall
Senior User
Dec 29, 2005, 08:36 PM

I had that problem with Candybar showing the file-type icon....i think i had copy-pasted the icon from the Info window. when i dragged the actual icn file into the well, it worked.

it's not candybar being broken, it's probably the file you're using

- matt

Forum Links
Forum Rules