Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > My Finder is becoming silent

My Finder is becoming silent
seaj11
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2007, 01:59 AM

Recently, the user sound effects in my Tiger have been disappearing one by one. The first to go was Volume Mount, which used to play when I moved files (it is located at /System/Library/Components/CoreAudio.component/Contents/Resources/SystemSounds/system/Volume\ Mount.aif).

I copied the component bundle from another computer running Tiger, thinking perhaps some files were missing, and replaced CoreAudio.component in the Components folder, but Volume Mount still doesn't play when I move files, and now Move to Trash, Drag to Trash, and Empty Trash don't work. Empty Trash, Poof from Dock, etc. still do. "Play user interface sound effects" is still enabled in the System Preferences. Anybody know what's going on? Thanks.
15-inch 2002 iMac G4/800MHz; Mac OS X 10.4.10

rehoot
Dedicated MacNNer
May 23, 2007, 08:27 AM

You might try trashing ~/Library/com.apple.finder.plist (or making a copy in a zipped file or on a removable device like a memory stick so you can restore it if you want to). If this preferences file gets wacked, then your settings won't work right. Of course you would have to check your options after trashing that file and you might have to review those options to see how they are set by default.

seaj11  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2007, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by rehoot View Post
You might try trashing ~/Library/com.apple.finder.plist (or making a copy in a zipped file or on a removable device like a memory stick so you can restore it if you want to). If this preferences file gets wacked, then your settings won't work right. Of course you would have to check your options after trashing that file and you might have to review those options to see how they are set by default.
Thank you, that worked!
15-inch 2002 iMac G4/800MHz; Mac OS X 10.4.10

Forum Links
Forum Rules