Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > goofed-up reinstall = disk scrambled beyond repair

goofed-up reinstall = disk scrambled beyond repair
seaj11
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2007, 12:58 AM

I have had a world of trouble tonight with my Mac. I wanted to archive and reinstall to restore some applications and fix some issues, but I accidentally put in my Panther install CD. The installation was successful, but when I started up my Mac my password wasn't recognized; I reset it, but that was only the start of my problems. Applications wouldn't launch, and I hadn't been given a "new" System Folder; rather, my custom files had been split between the new system and the "Previous Systems" folder created by the Archive and Install. I consolidated the custom files and tried permissions repair. I then tried to reinstall again, thinking the installation had been botched and stupidly (still kicking myself) neglecting to check the software version and thus not realizing I was using the Panther CD until after another reinstallation failed to solve the issues. So I got the Tiger Install DVD and ran the upgrade, but got errors. I'd had this issue before, so after trying again with the Archive and Install option on the Tiger DVD, I ran DiskWarrior. I'd had to download and burn an upgrade to my Panther DW, but the computer couldn't read the CD. I whipped out my Panther DW and tried that, just for the heck of it, but of course I got the "Newer version of Mac OS X installed; can't do it" type of error message.

So, I had an iMac G4 with OS X 10.4.10 working with only a few problems; now I have an iMac G4 with a mix of Panther and Tiger files and a scrambled disk directory that DW can't fix. Even though most of my stuff is backed up, I really don't want to erase and install. Please, please help! Any and all advice will be much appreciated.
15-inch 2002 iMac G4/800MHz; Mac OS X 10.4.10

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2007, 03:34 AM

Wow, you did manage to scramble things up pretty well. It sounds like an erase and install is in order.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

seaj11  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2007, 09:56 PM

I'd really hoped not to do that, but everybody I've talked says either TTP or Drive Genius, or erase and reinstall. I haven't gotten much support from Alsoft.
15-inch 2002 iMac G4/800MHz; Mac OS X 10.4.10

Forum Links
Forum Rules