Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Waiting (mostly) Over, Mac Pro 2.8 in the house

Waiting (mostly) Over, Mac Pro 2.8 in the house
awcopus
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2008, 06:06 PM

So I'm posting from my new dual quad core 2.8, which I only know is powered up because I'm typing this (whisper quiet machine!). As this machine effectively replaces a wind-tunnel (dual 1.42GHz G4), I'm THRILLED that it's such a silent companion.

Purchased from amazon, tax-free and I'm a Prime member so the shipping was essentially free. I like amazon's return policy. Doesn't look like I'll be needing it.

I am waiting for two Hitachi 1TB hard drives to show up next week (we'll see how quiet this machine is after they're installed). I've checked out the hd sleds and though they would benefit from rubber padding, this promises to be by far the easiest hd installation I'll ever have done.

Still deciding on whether to order 4x2GB ram modules from Ramjet or from otherworldcomputing. I like Ramjet's heat sink, and I like otherworldcomputing's "certified" ram (am I just buying a marketing gimmick here?). The price difference favors Ramjet. We'll see. I plan to purchase the more powerful video card kit once it's readily available.

I'll begin the arduous process of installing FCP and Photoshop CS2 soon. And then it's back to video editing.
( Last edited by awcopus; Jan 18, 2008 at 11:38 PM. )
Liberty lover since birth. Mac devotee since 1986.

stukdog
Jan 18, 2008, 06:54 PM

That sounds like a great machine.

And it's great to know that the machines have quieted down a bit. I had a Powermac G5 and just couldn't handle the "wind tunnel."
Macminicolo.net - Your mini. Our data center. The perfect low-cost server.

MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 18, 2008, 08:26 PM

Yep, yep, I got my Quad 2.8 on the 16th. I must agree it is very speedy and quiet. I got mine from MacMall though.

musicforme
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2008, 12:48 AM

I'm not familiar with Ramjet, but did receive 2 x 2 GB sticks of ram from OWC today.

These are easily the thickest sticks of ram I've ever held in my life. When installing the ram, I did have to move one of the 1 GB sticks from one memory riser to the other. I was surprised to see the 1 GB sticks on separate risers from the factory.

I now have the factory 2 x 1 GB sticks on one riser, and 2 x 2 GB sticks from OWC on the other. I've been called some not so nice names by some friends of mine once they got an e-mail from me with a screenshot of "About This Mac".
Early 2008 Mac Pro - 2 x 2.8 Ghz Quad Core Xeon - 6 GB Ram - 500 GB HD

ninahagen
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 20, 2008, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by awcopus View Post
So I'm posting from my new dual quad core 2.8, which I only know is powered up because I'm typing this (whisper quiet machine!). As this machine effectively replaces a wind-tunnel (dual 1.42GHz G4), I'm THRILLED that it's such a silent companion.

Purchased from amazon, tax-free and I'm a Prime member so the shipping was essentially free. I like amazon's return policy. Doesn't look like I'll be needing it.

I am waiting for two Hitachi 1TB hard drives to show up next week (we'll see how quiet this machine is after they're installed). I've checked out the hd sleds and though they would benefit from rubber padding, this promises to be by far the easiest hd installation I'll ever have done.

Still deciding on whether to order 4x2GB ram modules from Ramjet or from otherworldcomputing. I like Ramjet's heat sink, and I like otherworldcomputing's "certified" ram (am I just buying a marketing gimmick here?). The price difference favors Ramjet. We'll see. I plan to purchase the more powerful video card kit once it's readily available.

I'll begin the arduous process of installing FCP and Photoshop CS2 soon. And then it's back to video editing.
Great on the blessed quiet! Please say you meant CS3! Huge speed difference.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2008, 12:23 PM

Yup, huge.

awcopus  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2008, 10:42 AM

Since the Mac Pro will not run under Tiger, I'm stuck with an MBOX2 that can't be used for acquisition or playback until digidesign resolves Leopard compatibility. Not sweating this. Love how quick and quiet the machine is (reminds me of my long-loved Cube's sound level).

Minor but annoying issue. It's surprisng, because my iBook 600MHz G3 ran OS9 and every flavor of OS X until Leopard. That the Mac Pro is not able to run 10.4 is pretty strange. I'm cool with it because Leopard is great, but generally it would be ideal if Apple's newest pro machines ran with at least the prior version of the OS, simply because of all of the compatibility issues that arise with pro software/hardware configurations.
Liberty lover since birth. Mac devotee since 1986.

vasu
Senior User
Jan 21, 2008, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by awcopus View Post
Since the Mac Pro will not run under Tiger, I'm stuck with an MBOX2 that can't be used for acquisition or playback until digidesign resolves Leopard compatibility. Not sweating this. Love how quick and quiet the machine is (reminds me of my long-loved Cube's sound level).

Minor but annoying issue. It's surprisng, because my iBook 600MHz G3 ran OS9 and every flavor of OS X until Leopard. That the Mac Pro is not able to run 10.4 is pretty strange. I'm cool with it because Leopard is great, but generally it would be ideal if Apple's newest pro machines ran with at least the prior version of the OS, simply because of all of the compatibility issues that arise with pro software/hardware configurations.
Actually, you can run Tiger on a 2008 Mac Pro, but it's not as simple as just popping in a Tiger disc and installing.

Tiger on Mac Pro (Early 2008 - Mac Guides)

Forum Links
Forum Rules