Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Configure Belkin wireless router help!

Configure Belkin wireless router help!
albyrw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2007, 12:04 PM

Hi all,

Total newtorking noob here, sorry to be a bore. We've got a Belkin modem and wireless router, one of these:

Welcome to Belkin - Wireless G Modem Router

We want to use it to share an ADSL connection between 1 wired and 3 wireless machines. The device is like most 4 port/wireless G routers except that, because it's a modem and router, it doesnt have an ethernet port to connect a modem to, it only has the phone line port to connect an ADSL line to. Unfortunately we can't just remove our ISP's modem and use the Belkin's modem because our cable TV also runs out of the ISP's box.

At the moment I've got an ethernet cable running from our modem to one of the four ports, which will share the connection to any machine plugged into one of the other three ports.

The problem is this: the modem/router is also broadcasting its wireless signal and all my laptops can see it but when I connect to it there's no internet through my browsers. There's no security or ACL on the wireless network. Also, none of the computers can get into the 192.168.2.1 config screen for the router, either wired or wirless. Does this situation mean anything to anybody? None of the Belkin support topics even come close to this scenario.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks everyone, alby

spice003
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2007, 07:32 PM

you should take the belkin modem back and just get a router instead, and just plug ethernet into the router and you'll be online. or you can just plug the phone line in the back of the belkin modem and set it up that way. which isp do you have what kind of cable box is it. we need more info to help you better. but the easiest way would be is to get a router.
Macbook Pro 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 80GB, 128VRAM.

albyrw  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 28, 2007, 02:02 PM

This isn't quite a bump, more like the story continues with a new question...

Thanks for the advice spice, you were right of course. It's too late to take the router/access point back but we did go buy a D-Link DIR-615. While this actually works, its range is a chronic disappointment (although it's in G-only mode right now - no N clients in the house). It sits in an office at the bottom of a staircase and there's virtually no reception even at the top of the stairs (the path is nearly line of sight). We live in a wooden house so it should be fairly radio transparent. Maybe range would be better in N mode with an N client, I dunno.

Anyway, we've still got this unused Belkin F5D7632uk4 floating around. Does anyone know if it could be configured to be a wireless repeater station to boost the signal upstairs, like a WDS? The setting's not available in the Belkin's own GUI but I've read some stuff about WRT, that these devices can be flashed with new firmare. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks heaps,

alby

Forum Links
Forum Rules