Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > What is the best case for a 15" powerbook?

What is the best case for a 15" powerbook?
DeusExMachina
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2005, 02:55 AM

I just bought a new powerbook and I am looking for a new case for it. I dont want to pay too much money for it, and I am looking for something small yet able to store what I need. for example something that is designed to fit the 15" powerbook well, and gives enough storage space for the power adapter, a mouse, and maybe some software. But I want the case to be compact so nothing bulky. A very important thing is protection since I want my powerbook to be safe from anything that could happen while traveling. so anyways what is recommended?

Rickster
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2005, 02:15 AM

I've been pretty happy with a bag from InCase for my 15" AlBook the past couple years... they have a minimally-sized one-shoulder-strap backpack that just fits the PB along the back and then leaves a few pouches and open space enough for some adapters & such. Unfortunately they don't seem to be selling it anymore, at least not on their site... they're advertising much less variety of laptop cases than they used to have. You might be able to find their older selections elsewhere, though.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2005, 04:32 PM

Check out this thread in the PowerBook forum.

rafterman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2005, 02:55 PM

In my opinion Booq makes the best powerbook cases. Check out the Vyper:

http://www.booqbags.com

robby818
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2005, 02:18 AM

i own two of the incase bags. incase makes a line of bags that are sold only at the apple store. they are quite inexpensive and very good if you want a slim bag that can hold your powerbook, ac adapter, and mouse. the downside to the incase bag is that it doesnt offer much protection.

the incase bags replaced a brenthaven bag that i used for two years. brenthaven makes quality bags that offer really good protection, but they can be pricey and a bit bulky.

you can see the incase bags in person at the apple stores. $50 for the slim version.

the "new" incase bags have a sort of rubber/leather like exterior. personally i preferred the old nylon exterior.
( Last edited by robby818; Nov 1, 2005 at 06:11 AM. )

chessplayer
Nov 7, 2005, 02:10 AM

I recommend the Tom Bihn Brain Cell
http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/TBP/TB0300

Great protection and design.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2005, 03:26 AM

Yikes, those inCase ones are really expensive.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

bearcat2000
Nov 7, 2005, 06:07 PM

Well, when looking for a case, the main thing is to determine how much protection you want...I just bought a 17" and bought an expensive soft case which was made to fit for it. the strap slipped off my shoulder and my foot caught the powerbook before it hit the ground, basically softened the blow...took it out of the case right away...the thing was all bent up in the corner...also it cost $600 for a new casing. Ouch. So I said enough with soft cases since this aluminum is way softer than my TiBook I had before...bought a hard case, looks like a briefcase from a place called maxupgrades.com. The case is called maxprotect II and the 17" fits in it snuggly and its hard so you at least have less to worry about if you were to drop it or hit something with it. The only thing I wish the case had was a lock. although those would always be easy to add...or a combination. That's what I would get again though, and they make it in a 15".

Westbo
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2005, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by DeusExMachina
I just bought a new powerbook and I am looking for a new case for it. I dont want to pay too much money for it, and I am looking for something small yet able to store what I need. for example something that is designed to fit the 15" powerbook well, and gives enough storage space for the power adapter, a mouse, and maybe some software. But I want the case to be compact so nothing bulky. A very important thing is protection since I want my powerbook to be safe from anything that could happen while traveling. so anyways what is recommended?

I have a Zero Halliburton for my Powerbook. It offers what I feel to be maximum protection.
More details, go to http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Zero%20Halliburton/Z3SI/

W2

havocidal
Nov 8, 2005, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by bearcat2000
Well, when looking for a case, the main thing is to determine how much protection you want...I just bought a 17" and bought an expensive soft case which was made to fit for it. the strap slipped off my shoulder and my foot caught the powerbook before it hit the ground, basically softened the blow...took it out of the case right away...the thing was all bent up in the corner...also it cost $600 for a new casing. Ouch. So I said enough with soft cases since this aluminum is way softer than my TiBook I had before...bought a hard case, looks like a briefcase from a place called maxupgrades.com. The case is called maxprotect II and the 17" fits in it snuggly and its hard so you at least have less to worry about if you were to drop it or hit something with it. The only thing I wish the case had was a lock. although those would always be easy to add...or a combination. That's what I would get again though, and they make it in a 15".
3.1kg of weight came down upon ur foot? u must either have really strong feet or they have been broken by now...

Forum Links
Forum Rules