Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > I love(d) my 23" Cinema Display

I love(d) my 23" Cinema Display
FiftiesDean
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2006, 10:32 PM

I got a 23" inch Cinema Display for Christmas a week ago, and I went to watch an HD trailer today.....when the screen went to all black I could see that the lighter was NOT uniform as I had hope, and even worse....5 dead pixels (all green) around the screen. I hope Apple plans on replacing this.....any experiences from other? Other then the pixels and the lighting when it's a very dark image, it looks surperb.

12" PB 1.5gHz 1.25 gb Superdrive
23" Cinema Display HD

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2006, 10:55 AM

You will find this to be very unusual. Most Cinema Displays are flawless (or have less than 2 pixels) If you can, take the screen back to an Apple store and have them replace it.

havocidal
Jan 2, 2006, 12:28 PM

r u sure abt this production_coordinator??? cuz ive been hearing many probs on uneven backlighting on the ACDs.... im still thinking of whether to get it...

anyone else here with an ACD??? care to make some comments??

joe
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2006, 12:49 PM

I recently bought a used 23" ACD in excellent condition. It's the current Al version with built-in USB2.0 and FW400 ports. I'd read a lot of negative reports on this 23" model. Most were related to a red or pink color tint over the entire display tho, not dead pixels or uneven lighting.

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 2, 2006, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by joe
I recently bought a used 23" ACD in excellent condition. It's the current Al version with built-in USB2.0 and FW400 ports. I'd read a lot of negative reports on this 23" model. Most were related to a red or pink color tint over the entire display tho, not dead pixels or uneven lighting.
I thought the lighting problems were fixed months ago.

At any rate, when I buy one I am going to open it up and look at it closely in the store. If they don't let me I'll go to another store.

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"

torifile
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2006, 04:12 PM

Green pixels are not dead. They're stuck. A dead pixel shows NO light. A stuck pixel will show one of three colors: red, green or blue (RGB). You may be able to massage them out, but for a grand, you shouldn't have to. Take it back.

FiftiesDean  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2006, 08:01 PM

correction, they are stuck.....I talked to Apple today....I have to send it back (no Apple store around me) and it will take 7-10 days

I better not get a refurb one.

FiftiesDean  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2006, 01:34 PM

got my "replacement" today, same serial number, they said they replaced the LCD Panel. I was excited for 2 minutes until I turned it on and now I have 3 dead pixels.

1/2 hour on the phone with Apple and now they are going to call me back. I bought this with a student discount and they said they are 'more forgiving' on pixels with students. I confirmed this by asking the guy, "you mean to tell me they are more lenient for students then pro users who are responsible for editing $200 miliion blockbusters....", their response, "yes"

ashVID
Jan 11, 2006, 01:42 AM

I dumped my 23" for a Dell 24".... Cheaper and IMHO better, I have 2 and no issues at all, best of all I got them BOTH for $150 more than ONE Apple 23"

ash =o)

Forum Links
Forum Rules