Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Switching over software from a G4 to a macbook pro

Switching over software from a G4 to a macbook pro
Frugle
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 2, 2006, 03:13 PM

I appologize, I just realized I posted this in the MBP section out of habit, would a mod please move this to software? thanks.

Hello, I have a question about switching over software..

how hard is it? When I bought my MBP I had a lot of software on my ibook g4 that I needed. so I connected the firewire cable and transfered.. all the basic software transfered fine, and a couple of the major programs transfered fine. (adobe CS suite) but a lot of my major programs when transfered over were currupt.

Now, most of the software I have (like guitar rig) I still have the CDs and such to reinstall them, but what about the ones where I either lost the CD, or was given to me... (And I don't mean going on kazaa and downloading it, it was either given to my by work (final cut suite) or I needed it for a specific application and someone was like "here use mine.." and I just never deleleted... Even though that technically is illegal, I do not condone illegal downloading of software just because you don't want to pay for it. )

Is there a way to get these to transfer from my old computer and work properly?
15" MacBook Pro | 2.16GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 100GB 5400 rpm | 256MB X1600

sarahmacbook7
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2007, 04:26 PM

I second that! I really want to know if this is possible. I want to transfer programs from an old macbook to a newer one.
Thanks!!

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2007, 04:45 PM

The Migration Assistant should have handled that transfer just fine. It is designed to pull over your User accounts and any non-Apple programs. I have done it many times, the only problems were when there were permissions and directory errors. Fix the drive first, it should work just fine!

Forum Links
Forum Rules