Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Cars 2 contains leftwing propaganda

Cars 2 contains leftwing propaganda
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2011, 10:19 PM

Wall-E is apparently not the only Pixar movie some conservative parents won't let their kids see:

Big Oil is the Big Villain in ‘Cars 2′ | The Lonely Conservative

This is so retarded, especially this argument:

I’m just glad I found this out before I allowed my kids to persuade me to take them to see the movie “Cars 2.”
So you are going to combat leftwing propaganda and brainwashing by brainwashing your kids with conservative principles, and that they are being brainwashed by watching this movie?

I have a better idea. Why not just let your kids see this movie and be exposed to ideas that you may disagree with and let them decide things on their own? You can't shield them from evil leftwing ideas their entire life. What happens once your kid reaches a certain age and decides they are liberal, do you consider your parenting a failure? Ironically, chances are if you keep your kid away from ideas they'll find them all the more intriguing particularly once they hit their teens, so if you really want to indoctrinate your kids maybe the best tactic is not to keep them away from evil leftist ideas at all costs? Keeping them from alternative ideas is also a great way to turn them into a shallow moron who has never had to think, by the way... Of course all of this is assuming you buy into the premise that Cars 2 wishes to indoctrinate your kids in the first place.

Chances are your kids won't give a rat's ass about all of this political stuff, because, well, this movie is about an animated car and stuff, and because they are, you know... kids...

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2011, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Why not just let your kids see this movie and be exposed to ideas that you may disagree with and let them decide things on their own?
Because, that right there is a Liberal way of thinking.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 22, 2011, 05:58 AM

So trusting that you raised your kids well enough that you're not scared they'll "be brainwashed" by an animated movie is "liberal"? I thought that was "parenting". Hard to tell, nowadays, but to me, if you did your job as a parent even half way, this would not be a problem.

However, I do note a strong current of more conservative people expecting the rest of the world to back up their parenting skills by restricting their kids...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2011, 06:04 AM

Oil is a scarce resource. Big Oil isn't a free market. They are an oligopoly that manipulates supply and demand.

If you love free market, you should hate Big Oil. You have to love Big Oil if you are a conservative? If you hate Big Oil, you are a liberal? Huh?

Big Oil receives subsidizes from the US as well.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2011, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
So trusting that you raised your kids well enough that you're not scared they'll "be brainwashed" by an animated movie is "liberal"? I thought that was "parenting". Hard to tell, nowadays, but to me, if you did your job as a parent even half way, this would not be a problem.
Not put that way. It is certainly a parent's job to ensure that that their kids are properly brainwashed to be able to resist opposing brainwashes.

I'd say though, that conservatives generally don't raise their kids to be able to make decisions that their parents might disagree with at political levels. That's altogether different. That's teaching them to be able to look at your brainwashing, look at the opposing brainwash, evaluate the two, and be able to make a decision about which to accept. That's almost the *definition* of liberal.

andi*pandi
Jun 22, 2011, 08:11 AM

Considering Dinoco was a benevolent and kindly institution in Cars, wonder what happened... or maybe there is some new Evil Global Oil Company. If so, I think then that Pixar's animated depictions of the oil industry is Fair and Balanced.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2011, 09:41 AM

Will kids even be able to make connections between Big Oil and real life? I'm guessing most kids don't care at all about petrol. I certainly didn't.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2011, 09:48 AM

I wasn't brainwashed to distrust big manufacturing by the depiction of the obviously sub-standard quality of Acme products on the Roadrunner cartoons.

I think the kids will be ok.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2011, 10:21 AM

I've many heard arguments that most Pixar movies actually promote more right wing ideology.

I think the truth is that they promote various ideologies and the world is more complicated then that.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 22, 2011, 10:24 AM

Eh, boycott Cars 2 if you don't like the message, but don't pretend this movie will do anything more than get your kid to shut up for 90 minutes.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2011, 10:47 AM

Do ultra conservatives also hate Bambi and the Lame Street Media anti-hunting agenda?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2011, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Eh, boycott Cars 2 if you don't like the message, but don't pretend this movie will do anything more than get your kid to shut up for 90 minutes.
Pretty much. /thread

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2011, 01:30 PM

Why did the movie makers even go that route unless they were already damaged by liberal ideas. Seems that is exactly what they were going after.

andi*pandi
Jun 22, 2011, 01:42 PM

Because making the villains be Nazis or Commies might be a bit much for a kid's movie.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2011, 01:47 PM

It's not a documentary.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2011, 01:51 PM

I see leftists have found themselves another non-issue to get all self-righteous over, with an 'issue' no actual conservative gives a crap about, from some blog no actual conservative ever heard of that's read only by liberals.

Typical. Carry on with the circle-jerk.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 22, 2011, 01:51 PM

I want to see a BadK0sh-written kids movie.

Well, I'd endure the Rotten Tomatoes synopsis, at least.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2011, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post
Do ultra conservatives also hate Bambi and the Lame Street Media anti-hunting agenda?
Not any more that Dr Dolittle 2(anti-foresting) or Happy Feet (anti-fishing)

Do ultra liberals hate "Red Dawn" because of it's pro gun agenda?
45/47

andi*pandi
Jun 22, 2011, 02:24 PM

Red Dawn is a kids movie?

Did conservatives hate The Iron Giant because of its anti-gun message?

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2011, 02:25 PM

Don't get me started on E.T.'s anti-government agenda. Or A Christmas Story's anti-Christmas agenda (where's the Christ, Jean Shepherd?)

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 22, 2011, 02:29 PM

E.T. was commentary on the Ma Bell monopoly and its effect on long distance rates.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2011, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE View Post
I see leftists have found themselves another non-issue to get all self-righteous over, with an 'issue' no actual conservative gives a fence about, from some blog no actual conservative ever heard of that's read only by liberals.

You are easily the most unpleasant person I've ever come across on the internet.

There are tons of threads where both liberals and conservatives do exactly what you are claiming, but you'll notice that the idea behind this thread is to attack the idea of shielding your kids from ideas you disagree with, and in this case they just happen to be supposedly leftist ideas. I have not made the claim that there aren't idiotic liberal parents that would do the same thing about conservative ideas. I'm calling for an openness to idea exposure, not a selective one.

However, if I wanted to make a "haha, look at conservatives being dumb AGAIN" troll sort of thread your getting upset and bent out of shape about being people bent out of shape over people being bent out of shape might make for good material.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2011, 02:45 PM

"Jaws" ruined outdoor water sports for an entire generation. Bastard commie pinkos.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

andi*pandi
Jun 22, 2011, 02:48 PM

I'm looking forward to showing my kids Jaws, in order to teach them to avoid swimming and fishing.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2011, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Not any more that Dr Dolittle 2(anti-foresting) or Happy Feet (anti-fishing)

Do ultra liberals hate "Red Dawn" because of it's pro gun agenda?
Actually, Red Dawn is the perfect movie for very liberal people to highlight. We were told that the Russians were ready to attack at any minute, when in reality... they weren't It highlights just how paranoid the US was during the cold war. There is a saying in Russia when you travel... "And this is what you were so worried about!"

That usually went along with something that was completely backwards.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2011, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE View Post
You know this was actually somewhat funny the first couple hundred times you said it. But now I'm beginning to think you just have this strange pre-occupation with large groups of men masturbating together. I'm just saying ....

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; Jun 22, 2011 at 03:22 PM. )

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2011, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I want to see a BadK0sh-written kids movie.

Well, I'd endure the Rotten Tomatoes synopsis, at least.
I'm not that good of a writer, but.......I can do some of the 2nd Unit SPFX. Especially high speed photography and miniature effects.

YouTube - ‪LydeckerFan's Channel‬‏

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2011, 03:32 PM

I'm sure there are lots of die-hard liberals who let their kids watch Fox News and "Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed"

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 22, 2011, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
I'm sure there are lots of die-hard liberals who let their kids watch Fox News and "Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed"
Not exactly kids movies.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2011, 04:34 PM

The O'Reilly Factor is a kids movie.

Besides, some parents have teenagers
( Last edited by Uncle Skeleton; Jun 22, 2011 at 04:51 PM. )

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2011, 05:52 PM

Just let them watch Fern Gully III, I mean Avatar.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

finboy
Jun 22, 2011, 08:15 PM

Why not just let your kids see this movie and be exposed to ideas that you may disagree with and let them decide things on their own?
Because they're kids? They're impressionable, maybe even malleable. Watching one-sided propaganda (WALL-E counts) doesn't give them both sides of the story.

Joe Camel was wrong, perhaps propaganda using Cars is wrong too.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2011, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by finboy View Post
Because they're kids? They're impressionable, maybe even malleable. Watching one-sided propaganda (WALL-E counts) doesn't give them both sides of the story.

So, children can only be presented with material that offers both sides of the story?

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2011, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
You are easily the most unpleasant person I've ever come across on the internet.

There are tons of threads where both liberals and conservatives do exactly what you are claiming, but you'll notice that the idea behind this thread is to attack the idea of shielding your kids from ideas you disagree with, and in this case they just happen to be supposedly leftist ideas. I have not made the claim that there aren't idiotic liberal parents that would do the same thing about conservative ideas. I'm calling for an openness to idea exposure, not a selective one.

However, if I wanted to make a "haha, look at conservatives being dumb AGAIN" troll sort of thread your getting upset and bent out of shape about being people bent out of shape over people being bent out of shape might make for good material.
+1!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

finboy
Jun 23, 2011, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post

I'd say though, that conservatives generally don't raise their kids to be able to make decisions that their parents might disagree with at political levels.

Right, like tree-huggers raise their kids to be Alex P. Keaton. Sure they do - no brainwashing going on there. There are freaky parents on both ends of the spectrum, and associated outcomes as well.

My point is that if your kids are young and impressionable you should protect them from things that they can't understand (or understand in context). Propaganda, of all kinds, is something we should recognize but they will not. Riding herd on undue influence is nothing new, it's called "parenting" as someone more articulate than me pointed out.
( Last edited by finboy; Jun 23, 2011 at 06:16 PM. )

Rumor
Jun 24, 2011, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
"Jaws" ruined outdoor water sports for an entire generation. Bastard commie pinkos.
IT was worse. I still meet people in my generation that are deathly afraid of clowns.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Rumor
Jun 24, 2011, 05:43 AM

What was the liberal agenda in Wall-E? What I gathered was rampant consumerism is a problem. That is something I think people on an place of the spectrum agree with. Was there something I missed?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2011, 08:40 AM

Right, like tree-huggers raise their kids to be Alex P. Keaton. Sure they do - no brainwashing going on there. There are freaky parents on both ends of the spectrum, and associated outcomes as well.

My point is that if your kids are young and impressionable you should protect them from things that they can't understand (or understand in context). Propaganda, of all kinds, is something we should recognize but they will not. Riding herd on undue influence is nothing new, it's called "parenting" as someone more articulate than me pointed out.
Not disagreeing with you there. You're absolutely right that parents from all parts of the spectrum brainwash their kids. Myself, I'm trying to brainwash my kids to be open minded about new ideas and to evaluate those ideas based on their merits.

For what it's worth, though, I don't really consider tree-huggers to be "liberal". In fact, I'd consider them to be conservative; not Republican-Conservative but nature-conservative. They just happen to align with a few Democrat-Liberal policies, but if tree-huggers ever got any of their policies in place, there's no doubt that they'd be ultra-conservative about maintaining those policies.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2011, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
IT was worse. I still meet people in my generation that are deathly afraid of clowns.
Haven't seen it. Just looking at the movie poster makes we cringe, I must see this.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2011, 11:51 AM

What was the liberal agenda in Wall-E? What I gathered was rampant consumerism is a problem. That is something I think people on an place of the spectrum agree with. Was there something I missed?
Don't forget evolution

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2011, 01:15 PM

What was the "propaganda message" of the first Cars?
45/47

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2011, 01:25 PM

Consumerism, environmentalism, etc.

There was actually a MacNN mod that announced that his kids wouldn't be seeing this movie for this reason, IIRC.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2011, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post

However, I do note a strong current of more conservative people expecting the rest of the world to back up their parenting skills by restricting their kids...
Although I'd qualify that the strong current of liberal people expecting the public school system to raise their kids is much more apparent. There's also a difference between not wanting your child to hear a silly message sponsored by Pixar and not wanting to support the distribution of the silly message with your patronage.

What you do is let the kid watch the movie and then when they get home you tell them why the propaganda is fallacious. Starting with the joint ventures of Pixar and GE and the fact that it's much easier to get an academy award if you bash an industry with a smaller profit margin than your local municipal power company. The second part is what parents don't want to do so they deny the first part.
ebuddy

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2011, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
What you do is let the kid watch the movie and then when they get home you tell them why the propaganda is fallacious. Starting with the joint ventures of Pixar and GE and the fact that it's much easier to get an academy award if you bash an industry with a smaller profit margin than your local municipal power company. The second part is what parents don't want to do so they deny the first part.

Yeah, and the kid says "but Daddy, I don't give a shit, politics is boring and this conversation sucks. I liked the part where the animated car talked and did stuff with the other animated cars"

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2011, 08:49 PM

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2011, 09:06 PM

Almost every movie/show has a liberal agenda.

Comic Book heroes

Batman: anti-gun propaganda. Seriously Batman. Just get a gun and shoot the Joker already in self defense.
Superman: Pro illegal immigration. Not only is superman not born in the US, he isn't even born on this planet!

Disney - Very pro gay agenda
Little Mermaid: Pro gay agenda, alternative lifestyle. Mermaid-man love.
Beauty and the Beast: Pro gay agenda, alternative lifestyle. Beast-woman love.

Kid's shows

Barney: gay
Spongebob: gay
Teletubbies: gay

Pixar - Tree hugger environmentalist agenda
Wall-E: Anti-consumerism. Environmentalist.
Up: Anti-corporatism. Alternative energy. Environmentalist. Anti-hunting.
Cars: Anti big oil.
Bug's Life: Socialism. Pro-union. Ants are the workers who form a union in the end to fight the Grasshoppers who are the lazy big bosses.
( Last edited by hyteckit; Jun 26, 2011 at 09:19 PM. )

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2011, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Almost every movie/show has a liberal agenda.
OMG
45/47

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2011, 09:21 PM

Well, it's no wonder that Pixar has such a strong environmentalist agenda; Apple seems to share that agenda:
Apple (Canada) - The Story Behind Apple's Environmental Footprint

Will conservative parents prevent their children from owning Apple products?

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2011, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
OMG

It's also not surprising. Your prototypical conservative archetype is very very boring and not terribly captivating as far as characters go in comparison to your quirky, save the world, sexually liberated, creative, urbanite, romantic liberal type.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2011, 10:07 PM

let me see if i can put myself in a conservative's shoes on this

i'm a nice guy who has a nice job.

i drive my ford to work every day and when the gas price goes up, it must be the government!

big oil companies who make billions a quarter and get tax breaks are just being capitalists even if i have to pay for their profits

because their profits will somehow make my life better...

close?

Forum Links
Forum Rules