Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Why is panther so much faster?

Why is panther so much faster?
t_hah
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2003, 04:05 PM

I have been gone last week and am trying to play cathc up here. It seesm like WWDC was really exciting. I actually saw Panther on my friends computer and it was so much faster that 10.2.6. At least it felt like to me. The GUI elements were definitely responsive, test scrolling and such seemed much better as well. Safari was screaming on his computer.

So here is my question...what causes this? I kind of missed the meat of the Panther discussion, so if you could someone explain what makes this new operating system so much more responsive than Jaguar?

Thanks,

t

stew
Senior User
Jun 28, 2003, 05:14 PM

...must...resist....telling....old...debug..code.. joke...

Stink different.

tikki
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2003, 05:51 PM

Originally posted by stew:
...must...resist....telling....old...debug..code.. joke...
I won't. They removed the Debug Code.

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

pat++
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2003, 06:14 PM

Originally posted by tikki:
I won't. They removed the Debug Code.
Actually, to be precise, They removed the Debug� Code�

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2003, 06:56 PM

Originally posted by pat++:
Actually, to be precise, They removed the Debug� Code�
And they rewrote the whole OS in Cocoa!
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2003, 06:58 PM

It's not faster. It's just that they added Reality Distortion Field projection capabilities to Panther so that it feels faster.

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2003, 07:05 PM

Originally posted by Chuckit:
And they rewrote the whole OS in Cocoa!
BAHAHAHAHAHA! heheh! LOL
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

osxisfun
Jun 28, 2003, 07:30 PM

you ever rewrite a book report in school?

bet the second version was better huh?

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2003, 07:40 PM

Originally posted by osxisfun:
you ever rewrite a book report in school?

bet the second version was better huh?
Yeah, thats a good summary.

They re-did things, took out things, put in things. All learning from previous mistakes, and successes.

-Owl

gdiddy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 28, 2003, 08:12 PM

Originally posted by OwlBoy:
Yeah, thats a good summary.

They re-did things, took out things, put in things. All learning from previous mistakes, and successes.

-Owl
...and guess what? In three months after the final release everyone will complain about how slow it is and some will swear OS8 was faster on their 8500
Michael: Hasn't everything been sort of discovered now by like Magellan and Cortez?

Buster: Oh, yeah yeah, those guys did a pretty good job.

foobars
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2003, 08:48 PM

Some of it is just artificial acceleration, for example sheets are faster now because they are programmed to move faster, not because Quartz sped up.

Another reason is that most people are doing fresh installs of Panther, and fresh systems are always faster than systems that have been run for a couple of weeks.

That said, it IS a lot faster for lower-end machines especially, so I'd say it was mainly just some more optimizion on Apples part.

Busemann
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2003, 09:27 PM

Originally posted by foobars:
Some of it is just artificial acceleration, for example sheets are faster now because they are programmed to move faster, not because Quartz sped up.

Another reason is that most people are doing fresh installs of Panther, and fresh systems are always faster than systems that have been run for a couple of weeks.

That said, it IS a lot faster for lower-end machines especially, so I'd say it was mainly just some more optimizion on Apples part.
It really doesn't feel that much faster on my 1.25MDD, for example the finder resizes at about 3 FPS now (because of brushed metal i presume)

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2003, 09:28 PM

Originally posted by gdiddy:
...and guess what? In three months after the final release everyone will complain about how slow it is and some will swear OS8 was faster on their 8500
true

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

DBvader
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 28, 2003, 09:58 PM

I dont see much of a speed increase in panther on my Dual 867. it feels the same. additionally, things like window resizing are a slow as ever. its things like this that piss me off about the mac os. its so much better in so many different areas, but the simple things its years behind on...

or maybe my Dual 867 isnt fast enough of a mac...
"Take a little dope...and walk out in the air"

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2003, 10:17 PM

Hmm, is the resizing because Apple dont want a ton of tearing when the window is resized fast? It always does that on XP, and it resizes fast... Maybe apple is trying to make it too smooth in this respect.

-Owl

osxisfun
Jun 28, 2003, 11:00 PM

maybe you should do a clean install.

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2003, 11:29 PM

For me, in Panther, resizing is perfectly smooth and fast in everything, except brushed metal apps. i.e. the Finder...
(single 1GHz G4)
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

bgmccollum
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2003, 11:47 PM

speaking of resizing...is there a way (app, plist) that could remove live resizing ala itunes 4 on non QE machines? i happen to like the outline resizing of the pre-X era.

and speed...yes, i can attest that it is a much faster. the main reason that i was unable to use X as my daily OS was because of the speed and some interface quirks. on my blue g3 300 its is great. i have been using it since wednesday and i am consistently impressed with the speed improvements. people with newer machines will not notice these speed increases due to their marginal improvements on faster machines.

good job apple. cant wait to see the final version.

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2003, 11:55 PM

I just want to add one more thing to this thread. They removed the Debug Code!

hahaha

phillryu
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2003, 12:11 AM

Well, I noticed a few things. Not only have they removed the debug code, but they've sped up sheets, sped up mouse movement, sped up keyboard repeat, and a whole bunch of sneaky tricks to make the OS seem faster. Personally, I also noticed that booting up seems faster, but logging in takes a longer time for me. Apple hasn't made much faster, they've just arranged things to feel faster. It's all psychology folks.

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2003, 01:53 AM

Originally posted by phillryu:
Well, I noticed a few things. Not only have they removed the debug code, but they've sped up sheets, sped up mouse movement, sped up keyboard repeat, and a whole bunch of sneaky tricks to make the OS seem faster. Personally, I also noticed that booting up seems faster, but logging in takes a longer time for me. Apple hasn't made much faster, they've just arranged things to feel faster. It's all psychology folks.
I would like to see the the use of QE for virtual desktops like they've done for fast user switching. Also, different transitions. The cube is a cool effect at first but silly later. I'd like film style cross dissolves, slides and wipes.

squish
Jun 29, 2003, 03:00 AM

My early OpenGL apps that I wrote actually had "debug code" in them.

A function would run, and based on these results, it would return either a 0 or a 1.

One meaning pass, zero meaning fail.

If it failed, then the app would quit with the appropriate dialog.

Now, it was more code and more operations to cycle through, especially if i was stupid and andded tons of debug code. But naturally, when i finished a project and KNEW it worked (hence i didn't need debug code to test wehre it failed) i removed the debug code.

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2003, 12:46 PM

Originally posted by squish:
My early OpenGL apps that I wrote actually had "debug code" in them.

A function would run, and based on these results, it would return either a 0 or a 1.

One meaning pass, zero meaning fail.

If it failed, then the app would quit with the appropriate dialog.

Now, it was more code and more operations to cycle through, especially if i was stupid and andded tons of debug code. But naturally, when i finished a project and KNEW it worked (hence i didn't need debug code to test wehre it failed) i removed the debug code.

heh, sounds like my Java apps, they have a load of debug text being output, and it does slow things down a hell of a lot, thankfully find and replace quickly removes all of it, then again java is still slow - wheres my G5....

revs
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2003, 05:01 PM

New compiler, new Finder, more time to optimize, new BSD libraries (which apparently improve 'reentrancy', which I think affects multithreading), etc... I read somewhere that they finally got HW accelerated copybits back, which would account for the improved scrolling speed. Don't know if that's true though.

fireside
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2003, 09:01 PM

Originally posted by RooneyX:
I just want to add one more thing to this thread. They removed the Debug Code!

hahaha
haha the joke has already been made idiot.

osxisfun
Jun 29, 2003, 09:05 PM

Run, Forest, Run!

iJed
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 29, 2003, 10:53 PM

Panther is quite noticeably faster on my iBook 500. It is quite amazing how smooth scrolling down a web page in Safari is compared to Jaguar. Its still not Windows scrolling speed but its a hell of a lot better than it was. Things like tabs are far quicker to respond too and even Expos� is useable on my iBook (even though it is choppy).

Unfortunately on my PowerMac the flashed PC GeForce 2MX card does not work with the Panther drivers and causes a system freeze at startup. I'm going to attempt a manual upgrade of its firmware to see if that will fix the problem. Otherwise I'm going to have to get it a Radeon 8500 or something else cheap. Holding down shift at startup or removing the kernel extensions allows me to use the machine with Panther though.

I've now got Panther on my iBook as the only OS (since the speed improvement is so good) but I'm going to keep my PowerMac with Jag until the final Panther is out.

Nai no Kami
Senior User
Jun 30, 2003, 09:54 AM

Originally posted by bgmccollum:
speaking of resizing...is there a way (app, plist) that could remove live resizing ala itunes 4 on non QE machines? i happen to like the outline resizing of the pre-X era.

and speed...yes, i can attest that it is a much faster. the main reason that i was unable to use X as my daily OS was because of the speed and some interface quirks. on my blue g3 300 its is great. i have been using it since wednesday and i am consistently impressed with the speed improvements. people with newer machines will not notice these speed increases due to their marginal improvements on faster machines.

good job apple. cant wait to see the final version.
I wanted to ask one thing: does Panther bring support for 3d accel on that model (i.e. RagePro)?. Thanks.

Y no entienden nada... ¡y cómo se divierten!...

stew
Senior User
Jun 30, 2003, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by iJed:
Panther is quite noticeably faster on my iBook 500. It is quite amazing how smooth scrolling down a web page in Safari is compared to Jaguar. Its still not Windows scrolling speed but its a hell of a lot better than it was.
And just a few days ago people used to pick on me when I dared to claim that Jaguar was not snappy...

Stink different.

benb
Jun 30, 2003, 11:31 AM

Originally posted by osxisfun:
Run, Forest, Run!

It is Forrest. Two r's.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 30, 2003, 11:47 AM

Originally posted by benb:
It is Forrest. Two r's.
It is "rs". No apostrophe.

-s*

businezguy
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2003, 11:47 AM

I haven't found Panther to be any faster then Jaguar. Of course, I didn't do a clean install, I did an upgrade. Perhaps that has something to do with it. Maybe that doesn't remove the debug code, etc. I don't know.

I'll try a clean install at some point, but as somebody said, a clean install is going to make any system go faster.
Dual 1 ghz MDD with 80 gig and 1.25 DDR
17' Flat Panel Studio Display
14' 800 mhz iBook 30 gig and 256 SDRAM
20 gig iPOD

businezguy
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2003, 11:53 AM

I haven't found Panther to be any faster then Jaguar. Of course, I didn't do a clean install, I did an upgrade. Perhaps that has something to do with it. Maybe that doesn't remove the debug code, etc. I don't know.

I'll try a clean install at some point, but as somebody said, a clean install is going to make any system go faster.
Dual 1 ghz MDD with 80 gig and 1.25 DDR
17' Flat Panel Studio Display
14' 800 mhz iBook 30 gig and 256 SDRAM
20 gig iPOD

JLL
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2003, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by businezguy:
Maybe that doesn't remove the debug code, etc. I don't know.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 30, 2003, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:

-s*
Actually using an apostrophe for plurals of single letters (where confusion might otherwise arise) is one of the few examples where the "pluralising apostrophe" is generally considered correct usage, e.g., "dot the i's and cross the t's", "mind your p's and q's", etc.

Or were you just taking the p's?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 30, 2003, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by wulf:
Teeheehee.

cowerd
Senior User
Jun 30, 2003, 01:45 PM

I haven't found Panther to be any faster then Jaguar. Of course, I didn't do a clean install, I did an upgrade. Perhaps that has something to do with it. Maybe that doesn't remove the debug code, etc
To install wihtout debug code, you and your computer must be moving counterclockwise at 6.66 revolutions per minute within a pentagram no larger 2 meters inscribed diameter. At the time that you click the "install" button and at the time that the install finishes you must be facing in the general direction of Boise, Idaho.

Failure to meet all of these requirements results in debug code being installed.
yo frat boy. where's my tax cut.

JLFanboy
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 30, 2003, 02:52 PM

To install wihtout debug code, you and your computer must be moving counterclockwise at 6.66 revolutions per minute within a pentagram no larger 2 meters inscribed diameter. At the time that you click the "install" button and at the time that the install finishes you must be facing in the general direction of Boise, Idaho.
You mean that made my machine go faster, too? Go me!

wtmcgee
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2003, 09:09 PM

maybe a ken burns effect while switching users?

Originally posted by RooneyX:
I would like to see the the use of QE for virtual desktops like they've done for fast user switching. Also, different transitions. The cube is a cool effect at first but silly later. I'd like film style cross dissolves, slides and wipes.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2003, 01:36 AM

Originally posted by wulf:
Actually using an apostrophe for plurals of single letters (where confusion might otherwise arise) is one of the few examples where the "pluralising apostrophe" is generally considered correct usage, e.g., "dot the i's and cross the t's", "mind your p's and q's", etc.

Well, bloody hell, that's what we get when German guys start teaching english...

tashi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2003, 04:48 AM

A friend of mine told me that they removed the debug code. Is it true?
It's better to rule in hell.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2003, 04:54 AM

Originally posted by tashi:
A friend of mine told me that they removed the debug code. Is it true?
Yes. They did that right after they told Motorola to overclock their 1GHz 7455s to 1.42GHz and that was right after they destroyed the last (secret) copies of the original OS X v10.0 B release that already lacked the 100,000 lines of debug code (by accident of course).

Guys, the joke is getting so old.

I pitty you for being so easily amused. Fatuity?

tashi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2003, 05:06 AM

ROFL, i don't even know what the heck is a debug code!
It's better to rule in hell.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2003, 05:46 AM

Code:
# include <iostream.h> int main() { int a = 0; int b = 0; int c = 0; cout << "a=?"; cin >> a; cout << "b=?"; cin >> b; cout << "c=?"; cin >> c; int theSum = 0; int theAverage = 0; theSum = a + b + c; theAverage = theSum / 3; // BEGIN DEBUG CODE cout >> theSum >> endl; // END DEBUG CODE cout >> "The average of the three entered numbers is " >> theAverage >> endl; }

That is debug code.

( Last edited by Simon; Jul 1, 2003 at 06:00 AM. )

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2003, 05:50 AM

stupid me, double post. sorry.
( Last edited by Simon; Jul 1, 2003 at 06:01 AM. )

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2003, 08:38 AM

Debug code is stuff that's put in to help the developers fix things, but taken out for the final product. Because they really don't care about performance during debugging, they often are willing to use techniques that reduce performance (logging everything that happens in the program and printing it to a file, for example). It's a running joke on macnn that they forgot to turn off the debug code in OSX.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 1, 2003, 11:37 AM

Originally posted by Simon:
Well, bloody hell, that's what we get when German guys start teaching english...

You mean "English", of course.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2003, 03:12 PM

You mean "English", of course.

Hot damn!

When I sent off that message I knew I would screw up somewhere.

Darn.

Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2003, 04:32 PM

Menus are a bit faster I think, and scaling and that sort of stuff might have been sped up.

But, I found loading folders in column view was kind of slow?? (is it just me?)

There is also an odd bug somewhere, I was using ICQ and like every 20 minutes it would get the beachball. Annoying. I was going to try and use it day to day, and I did for about 5 days, but by the 5th I couldn't take the bugs, and hangs.. I went back to Jaguar.

I miss the finder and expose ,though, they made USING the computer so much faster.

Forum Links
Forum Rules