Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > does any one here use Internet Explorer?

does any one here use Internet Explorer?
Duffman_108
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2004, 11:57 PM

does any here use Internet Explorer on your mac any more? I dont use it all i use is safari.
DuFfMaN_108 the true PC GAMER!!! since 1998

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2004, 12:01 AM

I have it and use it about as often as Netscape 7.1 which is around 1% of the time (when I'm forced by foolish developers that thing security by using IE is the way to go)

gorickey
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2004, 12:07 AM

I still have it; however, don't use it...but I do wish some other browser had the "Scrapbook" feature that IE has...

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2004, 12:11 AM

Originally posted by gorickey:
I still have it; however, don't use it...but I do wish some other browser had the "Scrapbook" feature that IE has...
It's been so long, I don't even remember what it did...

Duffman_108  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2004, 12:14 AM

True. Scrapbook is a nice feature in IE.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
May 31, 2004, 12:22 AM

i still have it although i've been tempted to delete it many times.....it very very rarely gets used - only as a last resort when some twerp codes a page that won't work in anything else.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
May 31, 2004, 01:17 AM

I only use it to test websites in.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2004, 01:57 AM

Originally posted by madmacgames:
I only use it to test websites in.
Ditto.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
May 31, 2004, 05:49 AM

I have to use it for my online banking. However it is literally 0.01% of my total usage.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
May 31, 2004, 05:57 AM

web development here too

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:
I have to use it for my online banking. However it is literally 0.01% of my total usage.
what bank? Barclays Online works fine for me, with Safari. change banks!
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

macintologist
Professional Poster
May 31, 2004, 07:12 AM

A lot of the mac newbies I know, especially switchers, and recently OS9 users use IE. I keep telling them use safari use safari! and they use it for a day but go back to IE.

IE in Os9 is a great browser, probably the best for 9. But in X we have better choices.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2004, 09:39 AM

I have it to remember when web browser lacked tabs

Under Mac OS 9, I use iCab.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2004, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by macintologist:
A lot of the mac newbies I know, especially switchers, and recently OS9 users use IE. I keep telling them use safari use safari! and they use it for a day but go back to IE.

IE in Os9 is a great browser, probably the best for 9. But in X we have better choices.
a switched friend is like that. tried safari, then keeps on forgetting about it and goes back to ie. i always pester her, she is coming round.

Ronanmd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2004, 11:02 AM

I was using it to download attachments from my hotmail account and internet banking. The hotmail bug seems to have been sorted out with the last patch, but I have not yet tried banking.

Jason

mindwaves
May 31, 2004, 11:41 AM

Never had to for the past year at least. My banks and financial sites all work with Safari (Wamu and Ameritrade respectively).

Sharky K.
Mac Elite
May 31, 2004, 04:40 PM

My old bank didn't work with IE or Safari so I changed bank... Everything works great in Safari now. I always delete IE right away.

Person Man
Professional Poster
May 31, 2004, 06:37 PM

Just wait until some OS X update or upgrade breaks IE. Then they won't be able to use it.

Forte
Forum Regular
May 31, 2004, 07:04 PM

I trashed IE as soon as I got my iBook (which was very satisfying, considering it's much more difficult to do that on Windows) - if a site blocks people from entering just because they excersize their choice to use a non-IE browser, then it's a site not worth going to, IMO.
Though, TBH, I've never come across a site that hasn't worked correctly in Mozilla, myself.

Thain Esh Kelch
Mac Enthusiast
May 31, 2004, 07:48 PM

Nordea, the biggest bank in Scandinavia havent gotten around to get Safari working with their online bank here in Denmark.. In Sweden, no problem! Hasnt been for years! So IE has to be used here... (FireFox works too, but its still pretty unstable...)

And to make things worse, Nordea homebanking hasnt even worked on mac until 2 months ago... And again, the Swedish Nordea has had theirs running for several years..

They kept saying that it was impossible to get it to work with macs... -BUT, and I quote: "We are looking into the possibility of getting Nordea Homebanking to work with Macintosh computers!" - Since 1998!!!

Oh well.. And im too lazy to switch banks...

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 31, 2004, 07:51 PM

Well, I'd have to say that Safari isn't necessarily one of those "better" choices, for a n00b. The n00bs seem to like using IE, and I don't blame them.

There are still too many issues with Safari with certain sites, and these actually work better with browsers like Camino. For compatibility with REAL sites out there (not just test CSS test sites or whatever), it seems to me IE > Camino > Safari. That some of that compatibility may be because Microsoft dominates the browser market in general doesn't change the fact that compatibility is still an issue.

Indeed, although I rarely use IE myself, I think it's a very well written program over all (aside from the speed), and I always keep it around as a backup.

It's too bad that MS has terminated development of it. I think if they sped it up a bit it'd remain a hit.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2004, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
Indeed, although I rarely use IE myself, I think it's a very well written program over all (aside from the speed), and I always keep it around as a backup.
Well written? The damn thing can't even resize properly!

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2004, 09:34 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
Well written? The damn thing can't even resize properly!
What do you mean?

Anyways, I never claimed IE was a perfect program, but I think it's very good, especially considering the overall functionality, and of course the price too.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2004, 09:47 PM

I have to agree with the condemnations of IE for Mac. It is dog-slow, and its CSS support is pretty flaky. I got very frustrated when designing a site recently when I found that IE was the only browser that wouldn't render it properly.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2004, 11:16 PM

What do you mean?
Try resizing a window in IE and find out. It's funky.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2004, 11:58 PM

Originally posted by wataru:
I have to agree with the condemnations of IE for Mac. It is dog-slow, and its CSS support is pretty flaky. I got very frustrated when designing a site recently when I found that IE was the only browser that wouldn't render it properly.
it's css support, on windows too, is what bothers me so much about it. the windows .png issue i can live past, but the .css support is so unprofessional.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2004, 12:29 AM

Try resizing a window in IE and find out. It's funky.
Works fine. I used it for years before doing the Safari thing. Windows resizing never seemed like a significant issue to me, and it definitely isn't to most of the n00bs.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2004, 01:45 AM

Works fine. I used it for years before doing the Safari thing. Windows resizing never seemed like a significant issue to me, and it definitely isn't to most of the n00bs.
Is it better on faster machines or something? On my dual 450 G4, it is really noticeable (and tacky).

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2004, 08:06 AM

Originally posted by philzilla:
web development here too

what bank? Barclays Online works fine for me, with Safari. change banks!
Yep, I nhave o problems with Bank of America, Navy Federal Credit Union and Deutsche Bank.

-t

JudieKaren
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2004, 08:31 AM

I have a question for those of you that DO still use I.E.:

Is it true that when downloading a HUGE download in I.E. if your modem connection gets *dropped* by your ISP, that I.E. will RESUME the download when you reconnect?

Thank you!
JudieKaren

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2004, 10:37 AM

Is it better on faster machines or something? On my dual 450 G4, it is really noticeable (and tacky).
That must be it. I mean it's not uber-fast on my G4 1 GHz PowerBook, but window resizing seems fine (at least compared to window resizing in OS X in general, which isn't fast by any means). It's also fine on my GF's iBook G4 1.07. It was slower on my iBook G3 600 but still usable (but then again everything is slower on that iBook 600).

Is it correct to assume that clock speed is all that is needed for this? I'm not a programmer, but window resizing wouldn't be multi-threaded or likely even Altivec'd much, correct?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2004, 01:32 PM

That must be it. I mean it's not uber-fast on my G4 1 GHz PowerBook, but window resizing seems fine (at least compared to window resizing in OS X in general, which isn't fast by any means). It's also fine on my GF's iBook G4 1.07. It was slower on my iBook G3 600 but still usable (but then again everything is slower on that iBook 600).

Is it correct to assume that clock speed is all that is needed for this? I'm not a programmer, but window resizing wouldn't be multi-threaded or likely even Altivec'd much, correct?
What it does is, it draws the new window bounds before redrawing anything else in the window, causing this strange effect:

I can't recall ever seeing any other Mac app do this, even other apps that resize slowly. The only other way to get ugliness on this scale is to use Windows.

cnelson87
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2004, 02:35 PM

I'm on DSL now and haven't had a dropped download in a long time. But sometimes I will intentionally stop a download and resume it at a later time and it almost always picks up where it left off. I've noticed that FTP downloads usually need to start over.
HTH

Originally posted by JudieKaren:
I have a question for those of you that DO still use I.E.:

Is it true that when downloading a HUGE download in I.E. if your modem connection gets *dropped* by your ISP, that I.E. will RESUME the download when you reconnect?

Thank you!

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2004, 04:13 PM

IE what's that? I don't even have it installed on my machine. If I need to test sites in IE i just use my PC.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2004, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by Person Man:
Just wait until some OS X update or upgrade breaks IE. Then they won't be able to use it.
I doubt any update will ever break it � it doesn't really use any unsupported APIs or anything. What is happening, though, is that its ancient IE 5 rendering engine is breaking more and more Web sites.

And yes, it has download resume. That was the only reason I kept it for so long.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

krove
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2004, 05:02 PM

I locked my copy of IE5 on a disk image (.dmg) so that I could forget about it and not have to worry about it messing up any "default" settings. (Athough this sort of issue/bug was fixed with Panther, I still like the metaphor of keeping it locked away in the basement where I cannot hear it.)

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

Sarc
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2004, 05:29 PM

Originally posted by Chuckit:

And yes, it has download resume. That was the only reason I kept it for so long.
use an app. like download wizzard or something and save yourself the pain.
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

Duffman_108  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2004, 12:11 AM

Do they have any extensions or apps for safari for a dl (download) manger?I tryed to find a free one but I can't. All I run into is 30 days things.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2004, 12:33 AM

What it does is, it draws the new window bounds before redrawing anything else in the window, causing this strange effect:

I can't recall ever seeing any other Mac app do this, even other apps that resize slowly. The only other way to get ugliness on this scale is to use Windows.
Wow it must be REALLY slow on your machine for you to catch a screengrab of that.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2004, 12:50 AM

Originally posted by Duffman_108:
Do they have any extensions or apps for safari for a dl (download) manger?I tryed to find a free one but I can't. All I run into is 30 days things.
If you can do without full Safari integration, Download Wizard is free.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Duffman_108  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2004, 12:54 AM

thanks i try it out and see how it is.

Forum Links
Forum Rules