Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > How do I get fractions in Word?

How do I get fractions in Word?
nemanirc
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2004, 11:46 AM

In Word for Windows, I can type 1/2 and Word will convert it to a single character: �. How do I get Word for Mac to do this? I cannot find anything under Insert -> Symbol or even Mac OS X's Keyboard Viewer (which, BTW, is a lot harder to find than Key Caps was. Why did Apple hide it?).

nemanirc  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2004, 02:05 PM

This web site covers how to manually create a fraction:

http://www.fonts.com/fontent/fontent...fyti_fractions

Does anyone know if any of the standard Mac fonts (that come with Panther) have any fraction characters?

Strangely, the � shows up in Safari (I copied it in my original post from Word for Windows), but when I past it into Word for Mac, it turns into an underscore.

nemanirc  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2004, 02:08 PM

�stranger still, when I paste the � from Safari into TextEdit, it shows up correctly. When I paste the same thing into Word, it is an underscore. What is going on here?

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2004, 03:19 PM

Try playing with the font in Word. It sounds like it's not mapping it to a font that contains the symbol you want.

If you need to use a lot of math in your documents, I suggest you check out LaTeX. It's very powerful, but if all you need is the occasional fraction then it would certainly be overkill.

nemanirc  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2004, 03:25 PM

I started a thread in Apple's forums and found out that TextEdit, Mail, etc. (where I could successfully paste the �) use unicode, while Office v.X uses macroman. Hopefully, Office 2004 will let me use the fractions through unicode.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2004, 01:04 PM

I don't want Word to convert 1/2 into a single character like it does now using Unicode. I want to see it displayed like it is shown in this thread. Large.

How do I do this?

I am using 2004 Office.

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2004, 01:10 PM

Have you tried enabling/installing Equation Editor in Office?

cpac
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2004, 02:54 PM

To turn off/on the conversion of 1/2 (and others) to a single fraction character, check your auto-text preferences in Word.
cpac

kcmac
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2004, 05:00 PM

cpac,

Thanks for the reply. Could be having one of those days, but where do I find this preference?

I seem to recall having to do something like this with Word X but don't see it in Word 2004.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2004, 05:11 PM

cybergoober,

Thanks for the reply. I looked at the Equation Editor. That's not what I want to do. I want to directly type 1/2 etc, directly. The EE makes you go to the Insert menu, select object, select EE, select from menu for symbol, type in numbers in fraction box and then enter.

MartiNZ
Senior User
Dec 8, 2004, 05:20 PM

Originally posted by kcmac:
cpac,

Thanks for the reply. Could be having one of those days, but where do I find this preference?

I seem to recall having to do something like this with Word X but don't see it in Word 2004.
Just going 'undo' immediately after Word has converted to a single character, i.e. after you've pressed space after the denominator, will cancel the behaviour, on a case-by-case basis.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2004, 05:58 PM

MartiNZ,

Works! Thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules