Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac G5 User Serviceability

iMac G5 User Serviceability
nemanirc
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2005, 03:16 PM

I saw on one of the rumors web sites that the iSight version of the G5 is not user serviceable like its predecessor. I went to the Apple support site and looked at the pages on both the older and new iMac G5. The older one has a link called iMac G5 DIY Parts Instructions. That page lists all of the parts you can swap out yourself. The new iMac G5 page has no such link. While I am sure there is a way to get access to the internal parts, I am disappointed that Apple has reversed its brief strategy of making iMacs more user serviceable. My father spent last weekend doing surgery on his old iMac G4 to replace a dead hard drive. After seeing what that entailed, I was hoping Apple would continue to make the iMac line easier to service.
R. C. Nemanick, Ph.D.
PBG4 12" 867MHz 640 MB RAM
PMG3 500MHz 1 GB RAM

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 12, 2005, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by nemanirc
I saw on one of the rumors web sites that the iSight version of the G5 is not user serviceable like its predecessor.
This is not a rumor. It is a fact. User serviceability, minus installing memory, is zero in the new iMac. Look for yourself. From page 53:

Warning: Do not attempt to open your iMac G5.If your iMac G5 needs service,
consult the service and support information that came with your computer for
instructions about how to contact an Apple Authorized Service Provider or Apple for
service.Your iMac G5 does not have any user-serviceable parts,except the memory.

AshUK
Nov 13, 2005, 02:48 PM

I was about to post the same thing.
Does anyone have the service manual for the new 20inch yet?
I want to upgrade my HD

volcano
Senior User
Nov 13, 2005, 03:39 PM

Did you not read Pierre's post, Ash? You can't upgrade or install any internal components by yourself with the new iMac G5, beyond installing additional memory. I'm pretty sure it will void your warranty if you attempt to do so.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2005, 04:31 PM

obviously it's possible to upgrade the parts on the new imac, provided you have the service manual the techs would use to do the job. doing so would certainly void your warranty, but it isn't impossible. my guess is that we'll see either the service manual surface or someone will post a take apart guide in the near future.

-r.

AshUK
Nov 13, 2005, 08:27 PM

So its just a matter of waiting

Forum Links
Forum Rules