Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple Store Locations (MN)

Apple Store Locations (MN)
Proudest Monkey
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 5, 2004, 11:44 AM

The Apple Store locations in Minnesota seem as they are planning an attack on the entire area. Hopefully.

For instance, when I heard that the Mall of America Apple Store was going to be one of the first to open I was thrilled, I couldn't believe it. Most likely because it is a tourists destination and that store is more to get the word out and less for purchasing (purchased my lowly iMac there so long ago), but assumed it would be Minnesota�s only store.

Then the 2nd store in the area was to open, I assumed an affluent, growing suburb located on the metropolitan fringe (Woodbury, Eden Prairie, Maple Grove), with a new or remodeled mall � would be selected, but it was in Edina at Southdale. Edina is an affluent suburb but is an inner ring suburb and only 6.7 miles away from the Mall of America. This store is obviously for purchasing but Southdale Center itself recently completed a massive remodeling project because of the impacts Mall of America has had on the mall.

The next opening (according to monsters.com and appleinsider.com) is at the Rosedale Center in Roseville, also an inner ring suburb and only 25 miles from Mall of America and only 20 miles or so from Southdale. I find this interesting, especially since the Eden Prairie Center recently remodeled and added movie theaters, restaurants, etc, Maple Groves Shoppes at Arbor Lakes shopping center recently opened with space still available and Woodbury is building a similar shopping center and I imagine still space available for lease.

I�m worried about the inner-ring suburb locations because of the impact it will have on other Apple retailers, such as First Tech located on Hennepin Avenue in Minneapolis. That store is great, I love it, call and sey hi (612-374-8000, no I don't work for them). However store locations in inner-ring suburbs may kill independent retailers. Something Apple is already accused of, sort of.

Perhaps Apple is planning on locating in all these shopping centers and not killing the independents. That would mean that at some point in time, there would be 6 in the area. That�s a lot of Apple, and I like it.
MacBook 13.3" C2D 2.0ghz 2gb/160gb

WiggMuffin
Forum Regular
Apr 5, 2004, 12:41 PM

Just stick one in Rochester and I'll be happy for a while.

spookykids
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2004, 12:41 PM

bah, this reminds me of my days in the states. when i was living in MN there was only one store in MoA. never really took notice cuz i hadnt switched yet. when i got my first mac it was at a crappy CompUSA store. i had never been more happy. however, a week later we move back to norway and a month after that apple opens a apple store in southdale mall which is only a 3 min. drive from my house...

now im stuck with a crappy reseller who barely has anything...

i swear this is a conspiracy
"It's better to die on your feet than to live on your knees."
--Emiliano Zapata

WiggMuffin
Forum Regular
Apr 5, 2004, 12:50 PM

That's too bad, hopefully you'll get a better store soon.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2004, 12:51 PM

Originally posted by Proudest Monkey:
Edina is an affluent suburb but is an inner ring suburb and only 6.7 miles away from the Mall of America. This store is obviously for purchasing but Southdale Center itself recently completed a massive remodeling project because of the impacts Mall of America has had on the mall.
I thought Southdale was an odd choice at the time, but I recently read something that said a huge percentage of MOA visitors are from more than 50 miles away from the Twin Cities. It's more of a tourist destination, and it's true that nobody I know in Minnesota (having lived there for 28 years) ever sets foot in the place. Southdale, on the other hand, is more of a regional mall and probably attracts the greatest percentage of its visitors from the surrounding area.

Eden Prairie draws from much the same market as Southdale and so there's a lot of overlap (they were never successful in their efforts at getting Dayton's to open a store there, for instance). Rosedale, on the other hand, probably has very little overlap with Southdale in terms of visitors.

Damn it, now I'm homesick.

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2004, 01:05 PM

The outer ring (Maple Grove) is where the growth is, but the inner ring (Edina) is where the money is. Southdale and Rosedale both have what Apple wants: High foot traffic and affluent shoppers. If Apple continues to open stores, though, I bet both Arbor Lakes and Eden Prairie Center would be on their short list. Maybe Ridgedale.

Southdale and Mall of America are very close geographically, but they're very different draws. MOA is more of a metro-wide attraction, while Southdale caters to the Edina/West Bloomington elite.

I wouldn't worry about First Tech, unless Apple opens a store in Uptown. Their core customers are small businesses and already-dedicated Mac users. They make more money from their repair business than from computer sales. First Tech said that the Mall of America store had little effect on them.

Proudest Monkey  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 5, 2004, 02:15 PM

Originally posted by CaseCom:
The outer ring (Maple Grove) is where the growth is, but the inner ring (Edina) is where the money is.
While this does make sense, the numbers are not all that staggering. According to the U.S. Census from 2000:

Edina, MN
Median Income per Household $66019
Median Income per Family $93496
Average Income per Household $99728
Average Income per Family $128959

Eden Prairie, MN
Median Income per Household $76111
Median Income per Family $81873
Average Income per Household $87322
Average Income per Family $93716

Maple Grove, MN
Median Income per Household $78328
Median Income per Family $93258
Average Income per Household $104208
Average Income per Family $120569

Obviously all affluent communities, the only difference, in terms of population, between the three communities is that Eden Prairie and Maple Grove will continue to grow while Edina's population will remain stable. Affordable housing in the suburbs is a different topic but one can assume that Maple Grove and Eden Prairie will continue to attract affluent citizens and continue to build housing for them.

It's an interesting topic ... here's to my job with the U.S. Census someday

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Apr 5, 2004, 02:25 PM

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2004, 03:46 PM

While this does make sense, the numbers are not all that staggering.
But you're only looking at the communities where the mall itself is located. Major centers like Southdale draw from the entire region, and look at the cities around Edina. Who from Prestigious West Bloomington or St. Louis Park is going to go shopping at Eden Prairie Center?

dillerX
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2004, 03:49 PM

put one in St. Cloud damnit!
I tried to sig-spam the forums.
ADVANTAGE Motorsports Marketing, Inc. • speedXdesign, Inc.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2004, 04:30 PM

I can't say I have any great love for First Tech. Back when I was a whippersnapper they eyed me funny whenever I set foot in the store.

On Southdale vs. MOA Apple stores, I've been to the Southdale one almost every time I'm back in town; I haven't been to the MOA one for maybe a year or more. I hate going to the MOA, but my girlfriend makes me

Proudest Monkey  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 5, 2004, 05:57 PM

Originally posted by dillerX:
put one in St. Cloud damnit!
exactly! i don't think crossroads or downtown can handle it, however, rainbow foods just vacated a space that may be adequate for apple in the rainbow village

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2004, 05:59 PM

Originally posted by wataru:
I hate going to the MOA, but my girlfriend makes me
Probably time for a new girlfriend.

--T (detests the Sprawl of America too)

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2004, 06:40 PM

i haven't been to any of them. why torture myself when i can't buy

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Apr 5, 2004, 07:06 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Sep 11, 2004 at 02:32 PM. )

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2004, 08:13 PM

Heh, time for a new sister too?

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2004, 02:01 AM

While this does make sense, the numbers are not all that staggering. According to the U.S. Census from 2000:
Wow, nice research I admit I did not realize Maple Grove was that affluent.

I say Apple stores for everyone!

dillerX
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2004, 04:49 AM

exactly! i don't think crossroads or downtown can handle it, however, rainbow foods just vacated a space that may be adequate for apple in the rainbow village
saving me 1 hour of a 2 hour trip sure would be nice.
I tried to sig-spam the forums.
ADVANTAGE Motorsports Marketing, Inc. • speedXdesign, Inc.

thirsty
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2004, 06:09 AM

I understand Woodbury MN is the fastest growing suburb in MN if not the whole US. Putting one there in my view would be practical and being so close to Wisconsin would cater for even more people. It's a booming area.
if you can't be part of the solution don't be part of the problem!!!!

Proudest Monkey  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 6, 2004, 05:24 PM

Originally posted by thirsty:
I understand Woodbury MN is the fastest growing suburb in MN if not the whole US. Putting one there in my view would be practical and being so close to Wisconsin would cater for even more people. It's a booming area.
I think both locations will eventually have an Apple Store; Maple Grove grew 30.2% from 1990-2000 and its neighboring community St. Michael grew 263.09%, not to mention the continued growth along highway 94 - the "growth corridor"

Woodbury grew 131.45% from 1990-2000 and will continue for at least the next decade and definitely western Wisconsin (Hudson, even as far as Eau Claire) would allow apple to cater to so many people.

I know people attending school at UW-river falls that take weekend trips to MOA, thats crazy, they certainly need a mall closer and why not throw an apple store in while you are at it.

fibroptikl
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 6, 2004, 08:30 PM

The Mall of America isn't THAT big. Jesus, it's just a mall that's larger - if anyone hates it for it's size needs to get out more.

anti-sleep
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2004, 10:37 PM

I was just in the Southdale location today.

And I don't think that we Minnesotans hate the MOA for its size, it's just that it's a pretty big hassle to go shopping there when they don't offer anything better than local malls.

Proudest Monkey  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 26, 2005, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Proudest Monkey
The Apple Store locations in Minnesota seem as they are planning an attack on the entire area. Hopefully.

For instance, when I heard that the Mall of America Apple Store was going to be one of the first to open I was thrilled, I couldn't believe it. Most likely because it is a tourists destination and that store is more to get the word out and less for purchasing (purchased my lowly iMac there so long ago), but assumed it would be Minnesota�s only store.

Then the 2nd store in the area was to open, I assumed an affluent, growing suburb located on the metropolitan fringe (Woodbury, Eden Prairie, Maple Grove), with a new or remodeled mall � would be selected, but it was in Edina at Southdale. Edina is an affluent suburb but is an inner ring suburb and only 6.7 miles away from the Mall of America. This store is obviously for purchasing but Southdale Center itself recently completed a massive remodeling project because of the impacts Mall of America has had on the mall.

The next opening (according to monsters.com and appleinsider.com) is at the Rosedale Center in Roseville, also an inner ring suburb and only 25 miles from Mall of America and only 20 miles or so from Southdale. I find this interesting, especially since the Eden Prairie Center recently remodeled and added movie theaters, restaurants, etc, Maple Groves Shoppes at Arbor Lakes shopping center recently opened with space still available and Woodbury is building a similar shopping center and I imagine still space available for lease.

I�m worried about the inner-ring suburb locations because of the impact it will have on other Apple retailers, such as First Tech located on Hennepin Avenue in Minneapolis. That store is great, I love it, call and sey hi (612-374-8000, no I don't work for them). However store locations in inner-ring suburbs may kill independent retailers. Something Apple is already accused of, sort of.

Perhaps Apple is planning on locating in all these shopping centers and not killing the independents. That would mean that at some point in time, there would be 6 in the area. That�s a lot of Apple, and I like it.
a 4th store now in Minneapolis? ifoAppleStore reports an opening at Ridgedale Center (Minnetonka) for 2006. This store is roughly 10 miles from the other stores. this thrills me as I moved 3 miles from Ridgedale only 6 months ago!

AND

i am glad to see that apple is sticking to the inner rings and avoiding the "lifestyle centers" in the outer fringe. note to mall developers - it's Minnesota! WE DO NOT WANT TO SHOP OUTSIDE IN THE WINTER!

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2005, 07:28 AM

you may as well close the apple section in the compusa in minnetonka then

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Proudest Monkey  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2005, 12:05 PM

let's hope they do - i haven't stepped foot in the bloomington compusa in years but i can only imagine that it is dead with an apple store down france avenue and another down 494.

Forum Links
Forum Rules