Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Loss of sound on media

Loss of sound on media
Heavy Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 9, 2006, 12:24 AM

I have an iMac G5, and all of the sudden, I get no sound upon downloading mpg's to the computer, or watching stuff online, like at collegehumor.com

I downloaded Quicktime 7, and still nothing. mpg's that are downloaded freeze up on the screen halfway through playback.

I double checked the connection of the speakers, and even tried disconnecting them, and still nothing. Speakers work in iTunes, and I get full volume in iTunes.

Is there a setting that I might have messed up somewhere? Help?
In a barrier free world, who needs Windows™ and Gates?

Heavy Fluid  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2006, 02:52 PM

OK, I have now lost sound on all visual media, on the computer, or on the net. I downloaded Windows Media Player 9 for Mac, and downloaded a random .wmv off the net. Picture played, but no sound. I cannot for the life of me figure out what is wrong? iTunes works, and so do the .3gp files that I have downloaded for my iPod. All other stuff that plays through Quicktime does not work properly.

Is there a master volume setting that I cannot find? I did make sure that the volume of the speakers were up, and the volume setting on the keyboard.

If this is not the proper section to post this question, could someone kindly direct me to the proper section. Thank you.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2006, 05:53 PM

Something like this happened on my G5 once, and it turned out my sound output (in system preferences) was set to the optical audio jack (which wasn't connected to anything). Certain apps (VLC in this case, but perhaps iTunes as well) have their own settings to escape from this problem. Setting it back fixed it of course; I still don't know how it got that way in the first place. Also have you tried restarting the computer?

Heavy Fluid  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2006, 06:45 PM

Yes, I restarted the computer. I don't what is going on. I will have to check it out when I get home. Thanks for the information.

Heavy Fluid  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2006, 11:46 PM

Issue resolved. A little searching around on Apple's website, and I found this.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300832

bgmccollum
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2006, 12:44 AM

Happened to me too! It was one of three things. The new Parallels Beta, the new Skype 1.5 Beta, or Flip4Mac...

Have you installed any of these recently?

Heavy Fluid  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2006, 07:56 AM

No, haven't installed any of those programs. I did install Audacity and Windows Media Player, but I also have been going to a lot of online video sites since we just upgraded from DSL to cable. I think it mentions that third party sites can sometimes change the settings? Oh well, I am just glad that it is working again.

bgmccollum
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2006, 09:09 AM

To fix Flash, I upgraded to 9.0.20 (?). But QuickTime was still messed up. Then I changed the sample rate as stated the KBA, and it worked perfectly...

Forum Links
Forum Rules