Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Using an NAS drive Over AirPort

Using an NAS drive Over AirPort
nemanirc
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2006, 04:06 PM

I have a SimpleShare Network hard drive from SimpleTech. I have it connected to an old Ethernet hub, which is connected to our office network as well as our AirPort Express Base Station. When I have my MacBook plugged straight into the hub, I can see the drive under Workgroup. When connected this way, I can use it like any other network hard drive. However, when I try to connect through AirPort, the drive does not show up in the Network (nor do any of the other drives).

Should I connect the AirPort to the network through a hub? Would a switch be better? Do I need to change the configuration on the AirPort? I am pretty dumb when it comes to networking.
R. C. Nemanick, Ph.D.
PBG4 12" 867MHz 640 MB RAM
PMG3 500MHz 1 GB RAM

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 24, 2006, 04:49 PM

I'll bet your AirPort network is NOT the same IP range as the wired network-and that will definitely keep you from seeing that drive.

When you get a chance, look at the IP your computer gets when connected by ethernet, and then the IP it gets by AirPort. I'll bet they're VERY different. If the first three groups of numbers don't match, the odds are that you're not going to connect to the wired network from the wireless network.

There's a very simple way to fix this: whoever administers the AirPort base station can simply uncheck the "share a single IP address" box in the Network tab of the AirPort Admin Utility. That's it! This changes the base station from a router in its own right to a wireless access point, and by default makes ALL wireless computers wind up in the same address range as the wired computers.

Good luck.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

nemanirc  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2006, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I'll bet your AirPort network is NOT the same IP range as the wired network-and that will definitely keep you from seeing that drive.

When you get a chance, look at the IP your computer gets when connected by ethernet, and then the IP it gets by AirPort. I'll bet they're VERY different. If the first three groups of numbers don't match, the odds are that you're not going to connect to the wired network from the wireless network.

There's a very simple way to fix this: whoever administers the AirPort base station can simply uncheck the "share a single IP address" box in the Network tab of the AirPort Admin Utility. That's it! This changes the base station from a router in its own right to a wireless access point, and by default makes ALL wireless computers wind up in the same address range as the wired computers.

Good luck.
Worked! Cheers!
R. C. Nemanick, Ph.D.
PBG4 12" 867MHz 640 MB RAM
PMG3 500MHz 1 GB RAM

Forum Links
Forum Rules