Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > "Editorial: Vista - Where's My Innovation?"

"Editorial: Vista - Where's My Innovation?"
No Time 4 Love Dr. Jones
Forum Regular
Mar 15, 2007, 10:21 AM

First time I've seen such an article at a die-hard PC "enthusiast" site.

[H] Enthusiast - Editorial: Vista - Where's My Innovation&#63

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2007, 03:58 PM

I think its a shame when enthusiasts are so blinded that they never criticize the company/products they love.
I'm a Mac enthusiast, and by criticizing the iPhone's lack of a removable battery, I hope that the product will be improved.

Maybe if Windows had more type of "enthusiasts" like the one who wrote the article, then Mac OS X wouldn't have the lead that it does now.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

reader50
Administrator
Mar 15, 2007, 03:59 PM

It's a pity the article is so poorly written. It sounds like a Mac fanboy. While supposedly talking about Vista and its' lack of innovation, the article spends more time talking about Apple, and what an [H] editor thinks/says about Apple. While we may agree with nearly all his points, this article will not be persuasive for the typical Windows user.

He should have talked mostly about Vista, comparing it to multiple competing OS choices (XP - which the target audience would be familiar with, OSX, Linux distros). Spend time on the high cost vs few useful feature additions (vs XP). Cover the activation & DRM annoyances. The confusing multiple upgrade options - Vista isn't exactly a single OS. Even though it ships as such, with different features being unlocked with license keys.

Cover compatibility issues with current software, changed workflows that require retraining, relatively hefty (expensive) hardware requirements, and weird glitches like Windows security labeling Norton Utilities as a trojan and recommending removal. Actually, it might be right about that last, so don't mention it.

Give a more in depth look at the Longhorn features that were promised, but later cut. The fact that Vista arrived very late even with the feature cuts, and the fact that the final price wasn't cut - it increased vs XP's price. These are things that Windows users will notice.

Most of them don't care where M$ stole the features from, so long as they get those features quickly & cheap. The article should have emphasized that Windows users are getting neither.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2007, 04:24 PM

I found the article rather humorous. It shouldn't be taken it too seriously, though the points taken against MS are pretty much true.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 15, 2007, 05:02 PM

It's a bit of an annoyance how the word "innovation" is being misused. There are very few features in any version of OS X that are actually innovative, just creative and often well-designed implementations.

Salty
Professional Poster
Mar 15, 2007, 07:48 PM

"Perhaps Apple does suck..." Wow... dang this guy's a gooder authormator type guy...

Forum Links
Forum Rules