Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Phelps to protest Falwell funeral... oh the irony.

Phelps to protest Falwell funeral... oh the irony. (Page 4)
Graviton
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2007, 02:43 PM

I think we might be getting Jesus mixed up with Ozzy Osbourne circa 1982

Unless Ozzy's the second coming, of course.

Rumor
May 22, 2007, 03:07 PM

Ozzy couldn't be the second coming, he never had a beard.

I'm so going to get a infraction for these comments.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Graviton
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2007, 03:15 PM

In that case, It's probably Zakk Wylde.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 22, 2007, 03:19 PM

Damn, they locked that other thread fast.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 22, 2007, 03:21 PM

Yeah, I had just finished typing "Where's design219 when you need him" and went to post and it was closed. At least we got three good replies in.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 22, 2007, 03:22 PM

I had a better reply coming up. Now I'll have to wait for another special occasion.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 22, 2007, 03:24 PM

"Shut your whore mouth when men are talking."

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2007, 03:24 PM

edit: *I don't know how to post*

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 22, 2007, 03:25 PM

Something new.

Graviton
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2007, 03:27 PM

The moderators smote him.

Rumor
May 22, 2007, 03:30 PM

Google cache didn't even catch it.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2007, 07:02 PM

Looks like they "protested," and had little to no affect. Only a few showed up, and they left before the funeral. It looks like they didn't need an "ass kickin'" after all. They are irrelevant.

http://www.365gay.com/Newscon07/05/052207falwell.htm
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Kevin
Baninated
May 22, 2007, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Graviton View Post
If the Bible were clear then there wouldn't be so much sectarianism.

As I said, it's all down to how much of the Bible you think is literal, allegory, poetry and a reflection of the political beliefs and social attitudes of a less enlightened age.

Results vary.
It all depends on really how much you are willing to justify certain things actually.

Kevin
Baninated
May 22, 2007, 08:28 PM

To pretend otherwise is to show your ignorance (or denial. I'm not sure, I don't know you).

The modern idea of "the Bible as a whole" is not the same as past attitudes of "the Bible as a whole". Modern Christian attitudes are a reflection of modern society, just as the attitudes of a more violent age influenced how Christianity was expressed in the past. 100 years ago everybody on this board would have been a racist, a thousand years ago we would have killed in the name of God. The moral Zeitgeist changes. Even "Christian beliefs" have never been a static unchanging thing.

There are Muslims that argue the very same thing about Islam that you are arguing about Christianity. Think about it.
there will always be fence riders and 'modern christians"

since Christianity's inception. nothing new.

mrtew
Professional Poster
May 22, 2007, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by red rocket View Post
I have to say, your signature doesn't strike me as mourning the World Trade Center. It seems to suggest that if it weren't for religion, 9/11 wouldn't have happened. Do you really believe that is the case?
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? I thought EVERYone would at least agree that the destruction of the WTC was caused by religious wackos! I guess there's probably nothing that can be agreed on at this point. And you're even an atheist I assume. What could make people behave that hatefully besides religion I have to ask.

Oh nevemind.....
( Last edited by mrtew; May 22, 2007 at 08:44 PM. )

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 23, 2007, 02:44 AM

People who pretend that the inquisitors and the knights of the Crusades were not 'Real Christians' crack me up. Ever heard of the 'No true Scotsman' fallacy?

They had Biblical references to back up their violence, just as Islamic extremists have Quaranic references to back up theirs. This is pretty well documented stuff. Both Islam and Christian moderates use the arguments of 'context', 'interpretation' and 'translation' to argue against the violent and extreme members of their faith. The witch burners of the past truly believed that they should not "suffer a witch to live", whether you think that a 'misunderstanding' or 'out of context', they truly believed that they were doing their Christian duty.

The expression of Christianity back then was not the same as the expression of Christianity today, the moral Zeitgeist changes, but they were still Christians. Those people lived and died by their religion, far more committed than the happy clappy feel-good hobbyists of today. Attitudes have changed, different Biblical references are favoured over others, but that doesn't mean you can whitewash the past.

I personally don't blame religion for all the evils of the mankind. I blame unquestioning dogmatic belief in anything, be it political or religious or whatever.
Well damn you for posting my reply before I got the chance. And probably more eloquent as well.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 23, 2007, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
I'm going to follow your lead.

Gravitorn, nevermind.
Good old fashioned smackdown.

Railroader
Banned
May 23, 2007, 11:09 PM

Sorry you see it that way erik. In a way, you smackdowned yourself.

Rumor
May 23, 2007, 11:30 PM

Sorry you see it that way erik. In a way, you smackdowned yourself.
No, he's correct. You were being handed and used my edit as an excuse to stop.

Railroader
Banned
May 24, 2007, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
No, he's correct. You were being handed and used my edit as an excuse to stop.
No I wasn't. I used your example as a way to let everyone walk away with a little respect being shown all around.

Reread my posts. Those who disagreed with me didn't fully comprehend what I am saying. It's a shame too. It would have been a good discussion had the comprehension been there.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2007, 01:04 AM

^

Rumor
May 24, 2007, 03:06 AM

No I wasn't. I used your example as a way to let everyone walk away with a little respect being shown all around.

Reread my posts. Those who disagreed with me didn't fully comprehend what I am saying. It's a shame too. It would have been a good discussion had the comprehension been there.
Of course they didn't within your eyes. Within the eyes of others it made plenty of sense.

However, you will not admit to anything, so it is a moot point.

Kevin
Baninated
May 24, 2007, 08:18 PM

I am not sure anyone wasn't calling them "christians"} as they obviously where. They were human too.

Guess which side screwed up? Since their religion didn't teach such actions...

Salty
Professional Poster
May 24, 2007, 09:24 PM

Why does everyone in the lounge have to be so argumentative?

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
May 24, 2007, 09:57 PM

It's what we do. It's who we are.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
May 24, 2007, 09:58 PM

Hey Salty, don't you have any thoughts on this subject? Your perspective would be of interest.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Rumor
May 25, 2007, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Why does everyone in the lounge have to be so argumentative?
We've already discussed katanas, how to sharpen them, the Fountain, overlaying classical music to clips of the Fountain, having a girlfriend, dumping said girlfriend and the Secret Garden. What else do we have left to do?

Salty
Professional Poster
May 25, 2007, 04:45 AM

Haha, I watched the documentary on the Phelps and I have to say, it makes sense having seen that. And I think its' ironic because the Phelps are simply the extreme end of where the conservative anti-gay thinking in Christianity gets you. It's the logical conclusion really. Because the God you worship who is arbitrary enough to condemn gay love, is arbitrary enough to never be sure if you're pleasing Him. So you just have to go with trying to pin point proof texts to show why what you're doing isn't sin.
Of course if you realize that there's this progressively revealed mindset, or framework of thinking, that is revealed over time in Scripture, that shows you not only how God is but how He interacts with people, and how we can interact in an honouring way, it gets a lot more clear, and you end up not being able to think like Phelps or I imagine Falwell. Thankfully it's at that point Christianity starts being about love instead of being right.

Kevin
Baninated
May 25, 2007, 11:18 AM

Haha, I watched the documentary on the Phelps and I have to say, it makes sense having seen that. And I think its' ironic because the Phelps are simply the extreme end of where the conservative anti-gay thinking in Christianity gets you. It's the logical conclusion really. Because the God you worship who is arbitrary enough to condemn gay love, is arbitrary enough to never be sure if you're pleasing Him. So you just have to go with trying to pin point proof texts to show why what you're doing isn't sin.
Of course if you realize that there's this progressively revealed mindset, or framework of thinking, that is revealed over time in Scripture, that shows you not only how God is but how He interacts with people, and how we can interact in an honouring way, it gets a lot more clear, and you end up not being able to think like Phelps or I imagine Falwell. Thankfully it's at that point Christianity starts being about love instead of being right.
It's not so much about "breaking rules" as it is trying to justify those rules so you don't feel guilty.

mrtew
Professional Poster
May 30, 2007, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
It's not so much about "breaking rules" as it is trying to justify those rules so you don't feel guilty.
Kevin's still at that point of always "being right".

Seriously though dude, what would you do if you were gay, aside from feeling guilty?

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 30, 2007, 09:12 AM

Huh?

Kevin
Baninated
May 30, 2007, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by mrtew View Post
Kevin's still at that point of always "being right".
I am at no point I assure you. This chair is comfy and not pointy at all.
Seriously though dude, what would you do if you were gay, aside from feeling guilty?
The same thing I would do if I were heterosexual I guess. If i were gay I would be in no different "position" in life. Just because a person is gay doesn't mean he is any better or worse than anyone else. Just because I am heterosexual doesn't mean I am more "blessed"

We are all on the same boat. I have my own "demons" if you will to deal with. We ALL do.

Why people single out ONE sin over the others as if it were different or worse is beyond me.

As far as if I do wrong do I feel guilty? Sure thing. So we all should. When one makes a habit however of self deluding that what they are doing isn't bad so they WONT feel guilty, such guilty feelings go away within time.

This is how people do bad things to other people and it not effect them. We call them sociopaths.

Once you stop listening to the voice or conscience in your head, I feel it stops talking to you altogether.

When we wonder how someone can be so cruel, or inhumane to someone else, etc. This is how. From years of self deluding.

The slippery slope.

mrtew
Professional Poster
May 30, 2007, 10:27 AM

The same thing I would do if I were heterosexual I guess. If i were gay I would be in no different "position" in life. Just because a person is gay doesn't mean he is any better or worse than anyone else. Just because I am heterosexual doesn't mean I am more "blessed"
We are all on the same boat. I have my own "demons" if you will to deal with. We ALL do.
Why people single out ONE sin over the others as if it were different or worse is beyond me.
You didn't tell me what you'd do though. Just pretend you were straight and hope nobody finds out what's inside you? Tell me.

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 30, 2007, 11:09 AM

I like what you're saying here.

Kevin
Baninated
May 30, 2007, 12:55 PM

You didn't tell me what you'd do though. Just pretend you were straight and hope nobody finds out what's inside you? Tell me.
I did tell you. I said I would live my life the same way I do now. There is no difference. I am not above people just because I am heterosexual.

I am straight now, and I am no better than any homosexual out there. And I am a sinner. No worse than any homosexual out there. Being homosexual doesn't somehow put you in a special sin "level" that I wasn't already in the the day I was held accountable for my actions.

What differentiates say a homosexual Christian and a homosexual atheist is, one believes certain actions are wrong. And if he or she does them, they still see them as wrong. And ask for forgiveness hoping not to do it again earnestly.

Someone that is not a Christians feels they are doing nothing wrong, therefore feel no need to ask forgiveness.

Sometimes the two examples get mixed up.

I would think say, someone with ADD would have more of a problem with "sin" than someone that was Gay.

Someone with ADD or ADHD has impulse problems of doing things without thinking them out.
But they are too held accountable for actions.

I think God knows the difference between actions we do that we cannot help, and those we had perfect choice to not do. The reasonings behind them effect it I am sure.

Attempting to justify actions in order to not feel guilty about them however is probably worse and more damaging than the "sin" itself.

In Christian terms that is.
( Last edited by Kevin; May 30, 2007 at 01:08 PM. )

Kevin
Baninated
May 30, 2007, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
I like what you're saying here.
And he is right. It is about love. But that doesn't suddenly make wrong doings ok. We reap what we sew regardless.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 30, 2007, 05:28 PM

We reap what we sew regardless.
Using a scythe to open stitches is a bit overkill, no?
( Last edited by - - e r i k - -; May 30, 2007 at 09:58 PM. )

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2007, 05:36 PM

We reap what we sew regardless.
Hint; it's sow. Do attempt proper word usage.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 30, 2007, 05:38 PM

And he is right. It is about love. But that doesn't suddenly make wrong doings ok. We reap what we sew regardless.
No, it doesn't make wrong doings ok.

But it does change what is seen as right and what is seen as wrong.

Graviton made that point quite eloquently earlier. Either you agree, or Salty is not "right", as you just said, because that is exactly the essence of what he is saying.

Kevin
Baninated
May 30, 2007, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by KarlG View Post
Hint; it's sow. Do attempt proper word usage.
You know I had sow in there at first. But I kept thinking "pig"

But anyhow "pwnt"

Kevin
Baninated
May 30, 2007, 06:43 PM

No, it doesn't make wrong doings ok.

But it does change what is seen as right and what is seen as wrong.
Love does? How so? And is it not possible to love, and see wrong doing at the same time?
Graviton made that point quite eloquently earlier. Either you agree, or Salty is not "right", as you just said, because that is exactly the essence of what he is saying.
I said Salty was right about the love part. What I said doesn't take away from it.

TomR
Dedicated MacNNer
May 30, 2007, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
A pdf press release: http://www.godhatesfags.com/fliers/m...ll-funeral.pdf

It seems Phelps hate has no limits. This should make the spectacle spectacular!

That group (read CULT) is just so F'd up in the head. I HATE religion anyway. It just screws up EVERYTHING IMHO. They should arrest the adults just for screwing up the kids heads....

Tom

mrtew
Professional Poster
May 30, 2007, 09:56 PM

I did tell you. I said I would live my life the same way I do now. There is no difference. I am not above people just because I am heterosexual. I am straight now, and I am no better than any homosexual out there. And I am a sinner. No worse than any homosexual out there. Being homosexual doesn't somehow put you in a special sin "level" that I wasn't already in the the day I was held accountable for my actions. What differentiates say a homosexual Christian and a homosexual atheist is, one believes certain actions are wrong. And if he or she does them, they still see them as wrong. And ask for forgiveness hoping not to do it again earnestly. Someone that is not a Christians feels they are doing nothing wrong, therefore feel no need to ask forgiveness. Sometimes the two examples get mixed up.
I would think say, someone with ADD would have more of a problem with "sin" than someone that was Gay. Someone with ADD or ADHD has impulse problems of doing things without thinking them out. But they are too held accountable for actions. I think God knows the difference between actions we do that we cannot help, and those we had perfect choice to not do. The reasonings behind them effect it I am sure. Attempting to justify actions in order to not feel guilty about them however is probably worse and more damaging than the "sin" itself.
In Christian terms that is.
Can you be more clear please? Are you saying that you would sleep with men and then feel guilty about it and pray and promise not to do it again and get forgiven and then do it again? Or are you saying you would keep living as a heterosexual and pray to be forgiven for your sins?

Kevin
Baninated
May 31, 2007, 06:37 AM

Can you be more clear please? Are you saying that you would sleep with men and then feel guilty about it and pray and promise not to do it again and get forgiven and then do it again?
That isn't what I am doing now, so now I don't think I'd do that. Then again I've never been gay so I really don't know what I'd have done. Surely since I wasn't always a Christian I would have had gay sex sometime in my life. But I think you are missing my point.

The point is, I right now am in the same position any homosexual or heterosexual is. We are ALL on the same boat on equal standings no matter what our sexual preference may be.

Do I think it's possible for homosexuals to go to heaven? YES. Yes I do. They have every chance a heterosexual does.

mrtew
Professional Poster
May 31, 2007, 10:54 AM

That isn't what I am doing now, so now I don't think I'd do that. Then again I've never been gay so I really don't know what I'd have done. Surely since I wasn't always a Christian I would have had gay sex sometime in my life. But I think you are missing my point.

The point is, I right now am in the same position any homosexual or heterosexual is. We are ALL on the same boat on equal standings no matter what our sexual preference may be.

Do I think it's possible for homosexuals to go to heaven? YES. Yes I do. They have every chance a heterosexual does.

The only point I'm getting is that you are avoiding the question. A "homosexual" has fewer choices according to your religion. Straight people can get married and recieve the blessing of the church for your sexual acts. Gay people have to live a lie to do that and never know happiness. Their only other choice is to reject or rewrite religion (as Salty has done) and marry a guy. Right? So stop saying that you are the same as a gay guy. Your life is blessed and his is damned. How is he going to go to heaven anyway? By marrying a guy and praying his whole life for forgiveness from Jesus for his 'sin'. Tell me. And please don't repeat the same crap again I hear it the first three times. Answer my question instead.

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2007, 12:43 PM

Love does? How so? And is it not possible to love, and see wrong doing at the same time?

I said Salty was right about the love part. What I said doesn't take away from it.
No, but what he said does for those who disagree with the rest.

And he's right.

Kevin
Baninated
May 31, 2007, 10:29 PM

The only point I'm getting is that you are avoiding the question.
In each rebuttal I've shown where I wasn't avoiding the question. Maybe I wasn't giving you the answer you wanted or were digging for. That isn't the same thing. But I did indeed validly answer the question. I didn't dodge it. What probably went on was, you had answers for two different ways you believed I was going to answer it. And since I didn't pick either way, you got stumped. And are now demanding me to answer it again. This time in a way you can "paste" in a response you have ready. That doesn't matter to me. I answer it the most honest way I can. If you don't like that way, I really don't know what to tell you. You'll just have to get over it. My response was valid. We just see things differently.
A "homosexual" has fewer choices according to your religion. Straight people can get married and recieve the blessing of the church for your sexual acts. Gay people have to live a lie to do that and never know happiness.
How do you know what causes happiness? BTW Happiness is fleeting. It's Joy that we should seek. Married or being with someone wont make you joyful if you weren't already. So your statement that Gay people can never know happiness is a baseless one.
Their only other choice is to reject or rewrite religion (as Salty has done) and marry a guy. Right?
Or live with it the best you can, and not attempt to justify your actions when/if you do mess up.

Not comparing the act of homosexual sex to pedophiliac sex when make this comparison. But pedos can't control who they are attracted to either. Is it any less horrid for them not to be happy or enjoy life because they cannot go through it with someone they love?

Life isn't fair. I can't hear out of my right ear. Born that way. I have impulsivity problems that would cause me to make bad judgments in life sometimes. ITS not FAIR!

But it is life.
So stop saying that you are the same as a gay guy.
I wont stop saying such a thing. Because I am. Now you may not understand what I mean when I say that, but I assure you that when I say it, it is indeed valid.
Your life is blessed and his is damned.
Because he is gay? No. You haven't been paying attention. Him being homosexual does not make his life damned any more than me being hetero does.
How is he going to go to heaven anyway?
The way everyone else on this planet goes. Again, he is no different. He doesn't have to get a special hall pass cause he is gay.
By marrying a guy and praying his whole life for forgiveness from Jesus for his 'sin'. Tell me.
It's not me to judge that. Though if he is doing such a thing above and it being a sin, and he tries to justify it then I doubt he is heading in the right direction. But this doesn't just effect homosexuals. It effects everyone the same way.
And please don't repeat the same crap again I hear it the first three times. Answer my question instead.
I did answer your question every time you've ask it. Saying otherwise is dishonest. Or you just didn't get what I was saying. I am going to be a nice guy and give you the latter of the doubt.
( Last edited by Kevin; May 31, 2007 at 10:37 PM. )

Kevin
Baninated
May 31, 2007, 10:30 PM

No, but what he said does for those who disagree with the rest.
What he said does for those who disagree with the rest of what analog? Lets be a bit more clear here please.

For us slow folks.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2007, 10:40 PM

Homosexuals are the most joyous people I've met, so you might be onto something with the Joy-thing

BTW, what is up with the capitalised words? Are they demi-gods?

Kevin
Baninated
May 31, 2007, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Homosexuals are the most joyous people I've met, so you might be onto something with the Joy-thing
They act more gay than joyful....

I keeed I kiiieed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules