Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > I want OS X functionality in Ubuntu

I want OS X functionality in Ubuntu
herbsman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 7, 2007, 02:20 AM

i recently got hired at a company and they gave me dell tower for my workstation. they gave me the option to choose between either windows xp or ubuntu for the OS. i pleaded for a mac but their policy is that macs are only for graphic designers. so i naturally chose linux over windows mainly because i'm going to have to do some command-line tasks to make things for my job easier.

but i will really miss having features like expose and spotlight which really gets my workflow in top form. i'm hoping there is someone here on the forums in a similar situation who has managed to modify ubuntu to the point where a lot of functionality from OS X is also there. there is no replacement for OS X of course!
( Last edited by herbsman; Jul 7, 2007 at 02:52 AM. )

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2007, 12:15 PM

If your video card supports Beryl, there are several docks you can install.

I don't know of any Spotlight or Expose copies. Perhaps you can make multiple desktops a part of your workflow?

patrix
Jul 8, 2007, 03:51 AM

Check the Ubuntu forums, I vaguely remember a thread or two about that topic over there. I think there was an article on osnews.com too. There are a few expose clones for GNOME and KDE, never tried them to see if they work great or not.

Patrix.

herbsman  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 8, 2007, 02:32 PM

thanks all

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2007, 06:16 PM

Beagle is a decent replacement for Spotlight. I can't speak for the Dock or Exposé, though.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

stuh84
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2007, 09:57 AM

Most of the functionality can be gained through Compiz Fusion.

An expose clone is activated by default in Compiz Fusion, the dock you are best going for Avant Window Manager, use Deskbar Applet as an aside to Quicksilver, and as mentioned, Beagle for Spotlight.

I've owned Linux PC's longer than Macs (although I've been using Macs a lot longer, just couldn't afford one till a few months ago), yet I use them completely differently since I've been using OS X. Then again, my Windows PC at work has a dock, no taskbar, a quicksilver equivalent, and I did try at an expose clone, but it sucked.........

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2007, 11:22 AM

I just wish Compiz/Beryl would work on the Radeon x600, which is the video card I'm stuck with.

Forum Links
Forum Rules