Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > What Size Is The MacBook Superdrive???

What Size Is The MacBook Superdrive???
drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Feb 28, 2008, 02:35 PM

I have an older Core Duo MacBook from close to 2 years ago. The Superdrive is basically dead (wont read disks, scratches them). I am going to replace it, but I need to know what size the Superdrive is. Will a 12.7mm drive fit (such as the Pioneer K06), or is it a 9.5mm? Will a 12.7mm fit anyways?

Thanks to anyone who can help me out.
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

Duracell
Forum Regular
Mar 2, 2008, 12:20 AM

Yo, I'm pretty sure it's the Mac Minis and iMacs that have 12mm drives, the Macbooks/MBPs are 9mm drives.

Considered buying an official one? Macbook & Macbook Pro Drives, Apple Mac Products, iPod Accessories

On second thought, the price difference is huge, official parts are pricey
Macbook Pro 15" Rev: Feb08
iPhone & iPod Touch

20" iMac G5, Mac Mini G4 and an iBook G4, all retired.

patrix
Mar 3, 2008, 02:29 PM

My SuperDrive was dying too, on my 1.5 year old MB. I brought my Macbook to an Apple store and they changed it. For free. Long live AppleCare lol.

Patrix

ElementR
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2008, 03:20 PM

Its the 9.5 mm one. I just replaced mine in my MacBook c2d. It was a pain to replace. Look on ebay for the drive, I got mine for $160 shipped.

Forum Links
Forum Rules