Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Will you purchase the next gen iPhone?

View Poll Results: Will you buy the next gen iPhone?
Poll Options:
I currently own an iPhone: Yes 51 votes (38.06%)
I currently own an iPhone: No 17 votes (12.69%)
I don't currently own an iPhone: Yes 51 votes (38.06%)
I don't currently own an iPhone: No 15 votes (11.19%)
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll
Will you purchase the next gen iPhone? (Page 2)
BEK
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2008, 01:16 PM

In order for the providers to move their existing stocks I think they will have no choice but to reduce the price of the 1st gen phone otherwise the next gen will have to be priced even higher, which is not a good idea as the current iPhone price is already at the high end of the market and there's only so much the public can and will take!

paul w
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2008, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by BEK View Post
Things have moved on since the original iPod and you didn't have to sign a contract that restricted you to iTunes if you wanted one!!
It took a while for the iPod to crossover from the Mac platform, which was arguably as big an obstacle at the time. Anyway, even though there's plenty of reasons not to buy one, they're still selling and have great wow factor that makes people irrationally want one. Apple could conceivably follow the iPod pattern to some degree and release cheaper, better models that the same hesitant but desirous public will pounce on.

I mean I wasn't going to buy one and then they lowered the price. Now I can't imagine owning another phone and I'm going to get the 3g version right away.

BEK
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2008, 02:05 PM

I agree with what your saying, but still believe they could sell a whole lot more if they removed the contract issue, after all it's the best chance Apple have at showing the general public that there is life outside of the Microsoft world, and that, that life is much more pleasant and reliable to use. Most people accept the iPod as king, if the iPhone could step up to that benchmark then who knows it's only one small step until more people start using Macs and OS X in turn helping to stop the monopoly Microsoft force so undeservedly and illegally on the computing market!

ixus_123
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2008, 02:58 PM

I'll upgrade out of necessity. I love my iPhone but the ariel is rubbish. I can't get service in some parts of my building and not at all outside in the business park where my head office is. Those are the 2 places I need to take calls for work.

Admittedly the carrier is at fault here too but every other phone with 02 seems to cope in the same location.

That being said, I do love the iPhone and am constantly on it checking mail or web stuff. Hopefully, now the SDK is out we might get an SSH client
iBook G3 366mhz as a web server:
http://kieren.demon.co.uk/wordpress/

philm
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2008, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
You get 3G coverage in your area? All the 3G iphones in the world aren't going to help if AT&T doesn't get their network in gear.
I'm in the UK, so we have 3G pretty much nationwide. I use my phone extensively for web browsing, so it would feel quite a step down to revert back to 2G. This includes time when commuting into work on the train, so no Wifi to use.

gentryfunk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2008, 07:58 PM

I purchased an iPhone about a month ago...best phone I've ever owned; or, rather, best internet appliance. 3G would be nice, but for what I do, the iPhone is awesome.

I forced ATT to make my phone a "pay as you go" phone and that works great for me. No contract, plenty of minutes, slightly more expensive....no need for a contract if you don't want one.
15" MBP, 2.66Ghz, 4 GB RAM
and....17" iMac C2D
and....Mac Classic II (still running well)
and.....a couple of homebuilt game machines and other ancient stuff like OS/2, BeOS, and Windows 2.0!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2008, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by BEK View Post
I agree with what your saying, but still believe they could sell a whole lot more if they removed the contract issue
If they removed the contract "issue", they'd have to sell THREE TIMES AS MANY iPhones in order to make the same turnover, AND no iPhone would have visual voicemail.

Apple is making twice as much money off the contract as off the phone itself. And the money they're pocketing from the providers is PURE PROFIT with no attached costs, while the $400 for the phone itself is just turnover, minus cost for manufacturing, shipping, advertising, etc.

So in terms of profit, they'd probably have to sell (and be able to supply) about FIVE TIMES the number of iPhones, contract-free, as they would with a contract (provided the price were the same). Until that's a given, there's no point in dropping contract binding except in those places the law requires them to.

(Except market penetration, of course - but they're doing quite excellently at that, from what I can see: their mindshare is certainly *extremely* high.)

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2008, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by loveshismac View Post
Thinking about getting an iphone. Do you all think the current iphone prices will drop when the new ones come out this year?
Usually, Apple will delay release of a new product until stock of the old ones is almost depleted.

So, yeah, prices might drop, but that's just theoretical, since you'll have to get lucky to find one.

Note that I said "usually".

laroadster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2008, 11:04 PM

where do you live to see only 4 iphone being used??? wtf? from where im at i honestly don't know many people that do not have an iphone. i don't really know where your perspective comes from. you say IT but the iphone is going to be just like the ipod. total and complete domination in its market. i don't know how, you can't see that? some talk about things that are missing, features etc. but in the next few revisions im sure those missing features will no longer be missing. the iphone is the easiest most usable smart phone out. i cant be bothered by a hardware keyboard that takes up space.. buttons?? whats that?? thats old school now. a stylus?? no thank you. the iphone is where its at. i think its best representation of a smartphone to date.

laroadster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2008, 11:06 PM

yeah, i seriously doubt in the forseable future you'll ever see a non-contract bound iphone. its just not going to happen.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2008, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by laroadster View Post
where do you live to see only 4 iphone being used??? wtf? from where im at i honestly don't know many people that do not have an iphone. i don't really know where your perspective comes from.
Anyplace outside of Bel Air?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2008, 06:34 PM

In my class of 100 students about 30 of them have iPhones. That's a pretty big percentage. And a group of four of those swore that they'd never buy an Apple product and that the iPhone would royally suck.

Jammyn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2008, 05:09 AM

I will probably purchase a 3G iPhone at launch, or soon thereafter. My sister wanted to purchase one for my birthday, but I told her that i wanted to wait. I had planned to buy an iPhone anyway, but who can argue with a BD gift like that?

Paolocastelli
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2008, 01:26 PM

provided the price is set right (lower than it is currently) and I have the option to unlock the phone.

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2008, 12:28 AM

Since it's about that time I figured I would give this one a bump.. Anyone change there mind?

BigBadWolf
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2008, 12:35 AM

I've had my iPhone since December. I think I will probably buy a 3G one eventually, just not right away. I am content with my current one for now.

mkuehn
Jun 6, 2008, 12:50 AM

I'd love to get one, but I can't swallow the monthly charges. I think I'm gonna stay with the prepaid wireless phone I use now, and get my Apple buzz on with an iPod Touch, which gets me most of the way there, without having to pay another bill every month.

You can never have too many Macs.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2008, 05:05 AM

My contract is up in September, and at the moment I can't think of any other phones I could upgrade to that I would want. So I'll say yes as an intention, it depends on the price. If they start selling it subsidised for a lower up front price, getting one will be a lot more likely.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2008, 08:26 AM

You get 3G coverage in your area? All the 3G iphones in the world aren't going to help if AT&T doesn't get their network in gear.
Amen. My city is supposed to have its 3G roll out approximately the same time as iPhone 2.0 is released. Once its up and working reliably, I'll consider an updated handset. Until then, I'll be happy to stick with iPhone 1.0 with a bitchin software upgrade.

I bought a "closeout" 4gb model when the prices dropped last September. $299 was a steal and mops the floor with anything else in that price range and 4gb is plenty for me since iPod is the one thing I DON'T often use this device for. I use the h3ll out of virtually every other feature though and do so out in a world where WiFi is rarely available so a good functioning 3G network would truly make this my ultimate solution.

GuyWithACamera
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2008, 08:58 AM

I've been out of contract with Verizon for over a year now. I'm seriously looking at the next iPhone if I can get at least 30gb version with a considerable price drop (even subsidized).

If there was an alternative with that kind of storage and that could connect to my Mac, compatible with iTunes, sync my calendar and contacts, had video out (for connecting to tv/projector), etc. I'd take a serious look at that. Is there such a beast?

I'd really like to replace my seem edited E815 and iPod with something I can use without using profanity every time.
I have no lid upon my head. But if I did, you
could look iniside and see what's on my
mind.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2008, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by loveshismac View Post
Thinking about getting an iphone. Do you all think the current iphone prices will drop when the new ones come out this year?
No because Apple doesn't sell old models once new ones are out. They always clear the channels of the old models as best they can before new products come out.

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2008, 02:55 PM

Well I need a new ipod as well as a phone so I'm pretty keen. I already pay around £35 a month with my current O2 contract so I'm not phased by the data plan and if the romours about )2 being able to subsidise the v2 handsets then I'll be in like Flint.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2008, 03:48 PM

No because Apple doesn't sell old models once new ones are out. They always clear the channels of the old models as best they can before new products come out.
From what I understand, the channel is already empty and has been for a while. I don't think you can buy an iPhone anywhere right now.

That said, after the new one comes out, I think we'll see ebay and craigslist flooded with people selling the old model.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2008, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
That said, after the new one comes out, I think we'll see ebay and craigslist flooded with people selling the old model.
I already have my listing written out and ready to post.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2008, 05:00 PM

Seeing that my iPhone was stolen, I guess I should change my vote to Yes.

giggs11
Forum Regular
Jun 8, 2008, 12:14 AM

If the rumors about the price being subsidized by AT&T and Apple down to as low as $199 are true, then I'm getting one on the first day.

Other than that, I'll still probably get one unless the reviews are terrible, which I doubt.

vexborg
Senior User
Jun 8, 2008, 05:39 AM

I've answered 'No' - as in I don't own one now, and won't buy the new one.

The only things whch can make me change my mind, is the following:

1. Larger resolution camera > 3.2 Mpixels
2. GPS
3. Will be working on any 3G network.
The gene pool needs cleaning - I'll be the chlorine.

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Jun 8, 2008, 07:45 AM

I don't use the data often enough to justify going 3G over EDGE; most of my data use is through email. GPS isn't that enticing either as the cellular triangulation is close enough for my needs.

Now, having said that, I may wait a bit to see how well they work and put my two first-gen iPhones up on eBay (8GB unlocked, 16 GB virgin) and get a "subsidy" that way.

davidg14
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2008, 04:02 PM

Probably buy one if it sells at the same price point.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2008, 09:53 AM

I'll buy one of they release an "iphone mini" or maybe if the price is very reasonable. The current iPhone is a bit large (and heavy!) for a phone IMHO. But either way I'm REALLY wondering how they'll try and circumvent our consumer laws here. We'll see.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Forum Links
Forum Rules