Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > I just took Safari out of my Dock, in favor of Firefox

I just took Safari out of my Dock, in favor of Firefox
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2008, 05:44 AM

That's right - I have switched to Firefox (and the GrApple Dilicious theme) completely. While Safari remains more "Mac-like" Firefox is so close at this point that it doesn't make sense to lose out on the broader web compatibility that it provides. Has anyone else completely switched?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

zro
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2008, 10:38 AM

To OmniWeb, yes.

Firefox? No thanks. I'd much rather use Camino.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2008, 11:27 AM

I use Safari 3 and have only ever found one site that Firefox handles and Safari doesn't, and that site is a dodgy POS that only works in Firefox. Every time I use Firefox there's some bit of Safari behavior or functionality that I miss.

(And no, I'm not talking about Point Of Sale software. )
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2008, 12:52 PM

I have found many sites that don't work properly with Safari. Forms that don't post properly, elements that don't render fully. They're few and far between, but every time I hit one I remember why it makes more sense to use Firefox. One of the only things Safari still does better is rendering Hebrew.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

64stang06
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2008, 12:56 PM

I second Camino. I know I can extend Firefox, blah blah blah...but I don't need to. Safari and Camino here.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2008, 01:01 PM

Is Camino really that much different/better than Firefox 3 though?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2008, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I have found many sites that don't work properly with Safari. Forms that don't post properly, elements that don't render fully. They're few and far between, but every time I hit one I remember why it makes more sense to use Firefox. One of the only things Safari still does better is rendering Hebrew.
I see it kind of like using Windows — sometimes it's necessary, but not so often that I don't use OS X on a day-to-day basis.
Chuck
___

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2008, 02:35 PM

Firefox has always been slower than Camino on any of my Macs. Now with the Mac Pro Firefox is not that slow but then Camino is still faster than FF. Anyhow, I still prefer Safari and don't see myself switching to FF albeit I would like to use the "previous & next tab" shortcuts from Camino/FF with Safari.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2008, 02:46 PM

You can change Safari's keyboard shortcuts in the Keyboard & Mouse pane of System Preferences.
Chuck
___

joleslie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2008, 05:10 PM

Can you change Firefox's 'previous & next' tabs? That's the only thing stopping me switching from Safari.

Either that, or is there a plugin for Safari that allows you to search your history through your address bar?

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2008, 06:01 PM

Yeah, there's a theme that makes it look a lot like Safari. I mentioned it in my initial post.

Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2008, 10:56 PM

I cannot switch, because I refuse to wait more than one second for my browser to load.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2008, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
You can change Safari's keyboard shortcuts in the Keyboard & Mouse pane of System Preferences.
My gosh, that was easy. Thank you so much for your help.

Curiosity
Senior User
Oct 4, 2008, 01:06 AM

I like Firefox. It has so many handy extensions, some extensions can filter out many annoyances, one can change its appearance, one has more control over cookies, there are so many more search plugins available, there are more options that can be tweaked, etc. I could go on, but I won't.

joleslie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 2008, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Yeah, there's a theme that makes it look a lot like Safari. I mentioned it in my initial post.
Sorry, I meant can you change the keyboard shortcut for the 'previous & next tabs' in Firefox?

I would love to switch to it, but much prefer using Command + Shift + Left/Right keys to flick between tabs.
( Last edited by joleslie; Oct 4, 2008 at 12:57 PM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 4, 2008, 11:09 AM

I have, (in left-to-right order) the following browsers in my Dock: Firefox, Camino, Safari. I leave them there in case I have some sort of rendering issue or other problem with Firefox, which I use most of the time.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2008, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by joleslie View Post
Sorry, I meant can you change the keyboard shortcut for the 'previous & next tabs' in Firefox?

I would love to switch to it, but much prefer using Command + Shift + Left/Right keys to flick between tabs.
Is command-option-arrow that much harder?
Chuck
___

dru
Senior User
Oct 5, 2008, 08:03 PM

Yes.

I have everything set to command-arrow for tab switching.
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)

patrix
Oct 6, 2008, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by zro View Post
To OmniWeb, yes.

Firefox? No thanks. I'd much rather use Camino.
I'd love to switch to OmniWeb, always loved that browser, but way too unstable. Have to restart it a couple of times a day cuz it just won't load webpages after a while.. so I stick to Firefox

Patrix.

P
Oct 7, 2008, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
I cannot switch, because I refuse to wait more than one second for my browser to load.
Easy - leave it open all the time, but close the windows (if you want to avoid the confusion of many windows open). The VM system will take care of getting your RAM back.

joleslie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2008, 02:15 PM

When you've been doing it like that for six years, yes. I am so used to being able switch tabs with one hand that I'd rather keep Safari.

bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 7, 2008, 02:50 PM

Firefox isn't a bad browser. Firefox 3 has some nice features, but it isn't all that fast. There are two things I wish safari did that firefox already does, 1.) when I close a tab I want it the browser to go to the tab I was viewing before that, not the next tab in line, and 2.) when you copy an address that has more than 1 line and try to paste it into google maps firefox will paste all of it and I wish safari would do that instead of just 1 line.

Though I like safari's appearance more, and it's much faster than firefox.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2008, 02:46 PM

Switched after a day. Can't stand the lack of features in Safari and the unsupported 3rd party add-ons leave much to be desired.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2008, 04:46 AM

I like FF a lot. But as long as Safari is so much faster, I won't use FF as my main browser.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2008, 05:02 AM

Do you really think it's that much faster? If it is, I really can't tell.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2008, 09:19 AM

In my experience Safari is clearly faster than FF. But I have a few sites that don't play nice with Safari so I use both.

Forum Links
Forum Rules