Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Air: Summer 2010's best rumors

MacBook Air: Summer 2010's best rumors
Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2010, 02:07 PM

Apple readying an 11.6-inch MacBook Air? | Electronista

I've been waiting for a new release for a year - for greater speed & 4GB memory.

I'm sure *not* in market for 11-inch screen, but at least this rumor gives hope that some Apple design energy is going in the direction of the Air. Hopefully the 13" will benefit from any tech they're putting into the 11".
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 15, 2010, 02:25 PM

MacBook Air Mini

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2010, 02:57 PM

Isn't that basically an iPad with keyboard, running OS X ?

-t

OreoCookie
Jul 15, 2010, 03:01 PM

Damn, I hope this is coming out soon. My boss really wants an AirBook and he needs to take it on a longer business trip beginning of September.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2010, 06:44 PM

I'm looking for a CULV laptop... but I think Apple will put too much emphasis on thin (and a razor sharp edge like the MBA) rather than what I'm looking for.

P
Jul 16, 2010, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Isn't that basically an iPad with keyboard, running OS X ?

-t
It's an iPad with a keyboard, trackpad, higher res screen, different OS, different CPU arch, no touch screen, likely significantly higher price. So not really an iPad at all.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2010, 09:23 AM

Minor details.

-t

mountainhome
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2010, 05:57 PM

"the $1,499 minimum price" - to expensive staff

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 24, 2010, 06:15 PM

I sure hope they come out with an update soon, the demo MBAs at my Apple Store are looking insanely beat up.

Love Calm Quiet  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2010, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I sure hope they come out with an update soon, the demo MBAs at my Apple Store are looking insanely beat up.
Speaking of store in the Springs... is Voelker Research still open (and selling Macs), what with the competition of an Apple store?

smithjohnson159
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2010, 12:13 PM

The mac book air is so sleek and slim its ridiculous and if they come out with a updated version it will be even better.

Love Calm Quiet  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2010, 08:45 PM

Makes *my* day !:
Apple may ship huge numbers of new MacBook Air in September | Electronista

Who knows if we should believe it or not, but it's feeding my fantasy life with suggestions like:
"An investigation into the supply chain suggested that two models are enroute in September that would ship in numbers far larger than for the existing Air. The researcher didn't yet have specs but believed the volume was a sign it would cost significantly less than the $1,499 Apple asks today."

EDIT: September's a long month, granted. But there's not even a whiff of possibility at the Apple Store -- given that current Air Books ship "within 24 hours".
( Last edited by Love Calm Quiet; Aug 6, 2010 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Addition)

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2010, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Love Calm Quiet View Post
Speaking of store in the Springs... is Voelker Research still open (and selling Macs), what with the competition of an Apple store?
Sorry didn't notice your reply until now.

Yes, they are still open and doing okay. They are more popular with local businesses than the Apple Store is, so they have a small, but profitable base.

amazing
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2010, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
It's an iPad with a keyboard, trackpad, higher res screen, different OS, different CPU arch, no touch screen, likely significantly higher price. So not really an iPad at all.
Surely the high price will make the new MBA something like a Maxi iPad?

Love Calm Quiet  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2010, 10:31 PM

[QUOTE=imitchellg5;3994142
Yes, they are still open and doing okay. They are more popular with local businesses than the Apple Store is, so they have a small, but profitable base.[/QUOTE]

That's great to hear: they certainly were helpful on technical support when I was in Springs in early 00s.
They deserve to survive if they can keep serving their niche so well.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 11, 2010, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
Surely the high price will make the new MBA something like a Maxi iPad?
There’s nothing wrong with a MaxiPad!

Love Calm Quiet  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2010, 09:59 AM

Well, nothing new... although it's August 20. :: pops another Prozac ::

...and that despite back-to-school being upon us. And the Apple store online still says an Air ships "within 24 hours".

To top it off, store.apple.com home page now only lists top 5 best-selling Mac items (at beginning of August it showed top 10 - with Air at 6). So they're selling (gawd knows why given the performance way lags behind other 'books) - though no faster than they can be manufactured.

Time to start thinking "Dear Santa..."

Love Calm Quiet  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2010, 08:05 PM

Well, "best rumors" are still pretty sucky, but I guess Sept 1 still falls within summer, and a passing comment in this rumor about the Sept 1 Apple event has (in effect) "a friend of a guy that knows my brothers former girl friend" says that there might be a Mac Book Air update. See:
http://legacy.macnn.com/articles/10/....as.wild.card/

¿Amid all the video-based stuff? "¿...readying a new MacBook Air?" Current models still "ship within 24 hours."

What's your take?

Andy8
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2010, 08:46 PM

I am not holding my breath for 1st September, later in the year perhaps so.

simonjames
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2010, 05:44 AM

too late - expectations not met - moved on.
this sig intentionally left blank

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2010, 02:56 AM

My guess is that they'd announce it either right before or after the music event... Steve tends to not like to mix product introductions. iOS and Macs tend to be forced into different events which is unfortunate.

If the MacBook Air were to drop to 11 inches, and still be decently powerful I'd probably consider it over a MacBook that I was considering. Fact is buying a Core2 Duo in this day and age feels silly but the MacBooks haven't gotten the i5s unless you're up to the 15 inch which is too big for my taste. If I could get another laptop the size of my 12 inch PowerBook I'd jump on that like crazy.

P
Aug 30, 2010, 05:51 AM

Given the first Sandy Bridge rumors, a low voltage mobile i5 dual SB should have both enough GPU horsepower and low enough power profile to be a perfect fit for a new MBA.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

amazing
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2010, 07:22 PM

I used to think that watching Apple's refurb store would give some indication of impending model releases. Apple seemed to sell off the refurbs just prior to introducing new models.

Doesn't seem to be working that way nowadays. There's 4 MBA refurbs in the Apple Store. More to the point, there's 4 Nehalem Mac Pros in the refurb store as well...Apple must think somebody wants them?

Either the world is out of whack, or the rumors are out of whack?

amazing
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2010, 02:48 PM

So, anybody have any new takes on when the MBA might be updated? Such as: does anyone think anything will happen in September? There are still MBA configs in the refurb store...

In regards to my theory about using the refurb store as a barometer of new models:

It's obvious now why Apple didn't get rid of all the previous gen Nanos from the refurb store prior to introducing new iPod models: the new squarish Nano is so different from them that Apple (rightly) thought that people might appreciate having the choice to buy the previous generation. As in: so freaked out by the squarish Nano that they will run out to stock up the previous gen...

Interestingly enough, there's even a previous gen AppleTV still available, in case anybody thinks that the new AppleTV really should have HD storage (though Apple's not gonna give you any new OS for it...)

Forum Links
Forum Rules