Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Minor Irritant Thread

The Minor Irritant Thread (Page 19)
subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2022, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Recent LED bulbs have been available with a lot warmer color temperatures. For some things I LIKE really high color temperatures - anything where I'm trying to see fine details, especially with magnification, needs to be as white as possible. But a 7000K light over the bathroom sink? Not a good look...

The phosphor technology is what's getting better. I don't have any specifics, but empirically I've noted that newer bulbs have been both more consistent from bulb to bulb, and (not counting the ones you can shift the color of) less expensive.

I don't miss "heating" my house with incandescent lamps. I'm not only not making the house warmer with my LEDs, I'm also not paying the electricity bills I did before I started changing them out.
I’m actually pretty happy with LEDs. My one complaint is the color temp doesn’t get warmer as it dims. Incandescents dimmed to 25% are super cozy.

Hues are also awesome, and I’ve worked up a rough approximation of the color temp drop. The problem (other than being really expensive) is they didn’t integrate well with my home automation setup last time I tried. I couldn’t get it to trigger a “scene” all at once. Instead, each light would come on one at a time.

I’ll have to see if that’s been fixed. As well they should be, the developers of my HA software are super paranoid about security. It takes them forever to integrate systems who talk to external servers (like Hue and Alexa).
( Last edited by subego; May 2, 2022 at 07:44 PM. )

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 3, 2022, 08:44 AM

Why do I have to toggle my phone's personal hotspot off and then back on for some devices to be able to see it?

Brien
Professional Poster
May 3, 2022, 11:55 AM

I am in a particularly salty mood today, so here’s a few in no particular order:
- iCloud keychain strong password generation that does not take password policies into effect. Many sites do not allow passwords longer than 10 characters, with dashes etc.
- The last few versions of iOS and macOS, where it clicks the login button for you automatically when it pre-fills passwords. Unless you remember to click the “remember me” check box before logging in, or if it has 2FA or anything extra, it generally breaks thanks. And the only way to turn it off is to turn off automatic login entirely, which is really stupid.
- Everything requiring an account. most egregious recent example in memory, had an issue with my router, had to submit a support ticket… immediate Zendesk email requiring me to create an account. Why do I need an account? Why can’t I use my router’s account (because they requires you to create an account to activate your router now for some reason). I’m tired of having create so many dang passwords (see first point).

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 3, 2022, 12:30 PM

Fucking Apple Watch is no longer unlocking my Mac.

When I try to turn the feature back on, it tells me that my Watch needs to be logged into my iCloud account using the Watch app on iPhone.

Of course it is, and there is no way to log it out and back in.

Eventually, after weeks of annoyance, I erased and restored the entire Watch yesterday. That finally worked!

…until today.

ghporter
Administrator
May 3, 2022, 02:36 PM

The iPhone hotspot thing “just works that way.” Sad to say, but it’s the way mine works too.

I use the “Mindfulness” app on my Apple Watch 6. It’s supposed to count how many times you do the “Reflect” or “Breathe” thing every day. Now and then it stops counting though, even though the Activity app has the correct count. Sometimes rebooting the watch fixes that, sometimes not. A very minor irritant, but an irritant none the less.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 3, 2022, 04:25 PM

The iPhone hotspot thing “just works that way.” Sad to say, but it’s the way mine works too.
Of course, my Mac Mini and Macbook Air can find the iPhone without having to do the toggle thing, it's just the Amazon tablet or Android phone that can't see it. I'm assuming
Apple has some separate layer of broadcasting that lets it know the hotspot is available to only its own devices.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 3, 2022, 05:29 PM

“You shut down your computer because of a problem”.

No, I just shut down the computer, you’re the problem.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2022, 07:37 PM

“Oncoming traffic has longer green”

andi*pandi
May 5, 2022, 08:57 PM

macbook pro is plugged in. it is always plugged in.
<screen suddenly turns black, doesn't wake when keys clicked>

it has run out of battery while plugged in.

unplug.
plug back in.
7% battery shows.

WTF.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2022, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
it is always plugged in.
That could be the problem unfortunately.This kills batteries.

Check for swelling. Is it a little wobbly (i.e., it’s not lying flat)?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2022, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
“Oncoming traffic has longer green”
Is this to stop people from creeping out for a left turn across traffic, assuming that both sides get a red at the same time and they can sneak through right before cross traffic gets their green?

In the last few years they've got wild around here with flashing yellow arrows for when the oncoming traffic is green and your direction is red.

ghporter
Administrator
May 6, 2022, 11:46 AM

In the right spot, the flashing yellow arrow is a Good Thing. But properly timed lights that have their timing tweaked in real time should reduce the need for flashing yellows.

Alas, replacing electromechanical light timers with computers has not lived up to its promise of “much better traffic flow.” In part, this is because no city intersection lives in a vacuum, so you can’t adjust “1st and Elm” too much because you’ll screw up “2nd and Elm” and everything downstream from it.

The only way to solve this is a “pie in the sky”, super-complex centralized light management system that adjusts lights by locale, urban segment, and metro area. Which is NOT going to happen. It’s too costly for ANY city, too complex, and way too fragile. So we deal with (mostly) independent lights - or at least light groups - and hope for the best.

A couple weeks ago, I was about to cross Loop 1604, the “outer loop” around San Antonio, on a 4-lane surface street. When the light going my way changed to green, a person driving a Jeep going the opposite direction (at way more than the posted speed limit) TURNED ACROSS TWO LANES OF ONCOMING TRAFFIC. These lights, like most here, have a built-in “dead time” when all the lights are red, so the Jeep driver blew a red light BEFORE turning across two lanes of traffic that had a green light. Unfortunately for both of them, the person going my way in the right lane didn’t see the Jeep careening across the lanes and smacked the Jeep pretty hard. Nobody appeared injured, so I “got out of the way”, but I reported it because I saw it happen.

I mention this because traffic signals are only as effective as the drivers’ attention to, and compliance with the lights. Blitzing through a red and (somehow without rolling!) turning across oncoming traffic means the Jeep driver failed at one or both of those requirements.

Is that a “minor” irritant for me? No. It’s quite major. And it’s shaped my driving habits. I don’t gas it as soon as the light changes because I expect the local “car pointing individuals*” to behave like morons who don’t respect basic physics, let alone traffic regulations. Basically I have to be way more attentive and cautious because these freakin’ idiots are neither. Grr.

*They sure ain’t “drivers,” by my definition anyway. Driving is a focused task, where your attention must be on your vehicle and the situation around you. Most people behind the wheel here are not “present” behind the wheel, which leads to (in a cynical way) occasional hilarity. And carnage.

Thorzdad
May 7, 2022, 09:40 AM

There’s a guy down the street from me who always waits until his grass is a good 7-9” tall before mowing. Then, he goes out with his mower (a normal push mower, not a rider) and the sound that poor mower makes struggling through the grass is excruciating, as it struggles not to stall...VROOOMsputtersputtersputterVROOOMsputtersp uttersputterVROOOMsputtersputtersputter...You kind of feel sorry for the poor machine.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2022, 05:41 PM

Since I’m a city boy, I managed to go for 48 years without ever mowing a lawn.

ghporter
Administrator
May 9, 2022, 11:13 AM

Lawn mowing can be a zen experience to some extent. It takes little actual concentration, and not really that much physical effort (except with an old-style reel mower). With that said, I'm not a "lawn guy." We have a small section of "lawn," about 5 feet wide between our driveway and the neighbor's front lawn. The rest of the front yard, and all of the back yard, are xeriscaped. Crushed granite, pea gravel, and mulch beds around the trees make the yard much easier to maintain here in "watering restrictions are a way of life" San Antonio.

Now if I could just find a way to permanently "discourage" the oak roots' "sprouts," I'd be much happier.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 9, 2022, 02:18 PM

The one and only time I did it was with a reel mower. It kinda sucked.

Edit: I’m sure I was projecting, but what made it worse is I felt everyone who saw me with the reel mower was like “why is he using that thing… is this guy insane?”
( Last edited by subego; May 9, 2022 at 02:54 PM. )

Thorzdad
May 9, 2022, 05:40 PM

I used to have a reel mower, and it was an utter pain in the ass. You need to have a totally pristine yard for a reel mower to be happy. No sticks, no pieces of sticks, no nuts, no pieces of nuts, no bits of tree bark, etc. Basically, a lawn raked free of everything that isn’t a blade of grass. All those hards bits jam the blades, making you stop every fifteen feet or so to un-jam the blades.

But, if you have a clean lawn, reels cut really nice. Just don’t let the grass get too high. Reel mowers aren’t mulching mowers, so you end up having to rake and bag the trimmings if you let the lawn get too long.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 9, 2022, 05:57 PM

I was okay on debris, but the grass was way too long for it, and the thistle made it very unhappy.

I ended up pulling a bunch of those by hand, but at some point went “fuck it”, and pulled the hedge trimmers.

Thorzdad
May 10, 2022, 08:31 AM

Thistle is tough stuff to get rid of without resorting to chemical warfare. It’s what dandelions dream of becoming.

Brien
Professional Poster
May 11, 2022, 11:01 PM

Artichokes are just giant thistles.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2022, 11:35 PM

Artichokes are a minor irritant whether they’re on my plate or my lawn.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2022, 03:04 PM

Since the pandemic started, the city has had recurring street festivals, and theyyyyy’re back.

The minor irritant is I live right next to a blocked off T-intersection. Honking traffic cluster in front of my apartment for 12 hours.

reader50
Administrator
May 13, 2022, 07:05 PM

Honking traffic for 12 hours? I'd consider that a major irritant. Enough to move, if it happens when I sleep.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2022, 08:53 PM

It’s two days every two weeks during summerish, so I can more or less handle it. Thankfully, my room is pretty well insulated from outside noise by virtue of having no window (which is, at least in spirit, a massive safety code violation).

The sound issue when sleeping is my apartment’s newly christened workout room on the other side of my bedroom wall. Never know when someone’s about to drop a barbell.

ghporter
Administrator
May 14, 2022, 04:23 PM

That’s on a par with what we had to deal with today. “Neighborhood Yard Sale!!!”

Around here, yard sale shopping seems to be some sort of cult phenomenon. Sometimes hundreds of people at a time descend on a neighborhood to “shop the yard sales.” They typically ignore traffic rules, the safety of everyone (especially themselves), and (this happened to us this morning) stop in the freaking MIDDLE of the street to get out of their cars and vulture the yard sales.

I suppose these are otherwise “nice” people, but I think they simply forget about everything except that stroller that has visible stains from questionable sources…

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 14, 2022, 05:12 PM

Along those lines, it would be a far lesser problem here if people just simply believed the giant sign saying “no through traffic”.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2022, 05:58 PM

I suppose these are otherwise “nice” people, but I think they simply forget about everything except that stroller that has visible stains from questionable sources…
Shopping seems to inspire utter stupidity so easily.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2022, 12:45 AM

Low quality pork rinds.

I’m not naming any names, but their initials are Frito-Lay.

ghporter
Administrator
May 18, 2022, 09:17 AM

Quantity over quality is one reason. Another is “being spoiled by really great local products.” But maybe the quantity/quality thing is deeper than just mass production explains.

Pork rinds can be pretty meh, or extremely great, depending on how they’re made. It’s all about consistency. F-L makes “the same pork rinds” everywhere. So they’re meh everywhere, every batch, but you know what you’re getting.

This is REALLY on topic, so bear with me…. Budweiser is generally considered meh beer. But.. wherever it’s brewed, it’s the same meh. Beer makers marvel at how consistent the stuff is, whether it comes from Houston, Ft. Collins, Newark, Tampa, or St. Louis. It’s an American-style pale lager, which is not anything a real aficionado would go for, but it tastes the same wherever it’s made.

So from one perspective Frito-Lay pork rinds are great because they’re the same all the time, like Budweiser is great because it’s the same all the time - and both demonstrate a substantial feat in culinary arts.

But a really local pork rind that has just the right mix of smoke and spicy kick can beat the Frito-Lay product in a flavor competition hands down, just like a local brewer can make a pale lager that tastes so much better that you forget about how consistent Bud is. At least until the next batch of the local stuff fails to “meet expectations.”

Thorzdad
May 23, 2022, 08:27 AM

Yesterday, I added BBC America to my Roku lineup. When I first launched it, it required that I activate it (i.e. show that I also have BBCA as part of my cable tv package, which I do.) No biggie. I’ve done the same activation for a few other channels on Roku.

So, the BBC-A app generates a code onscreen, and I then have to go to the BBCA website and enter it. Again, standard procedure, no biggie. I get my iPad and navigate to the activation page on the BBCA site and...nothing. Just a black screen. No text field for the code.

After reloading the screen a couple of times and getting the same result, I figure that the activation page doesn’t work with my older version of Safari on my iPad. So, I get my phone and once again navigate to the activation page. Success! A text field! I enter the code and tap the submit button. I then get a screen to choose which cable provider I had. I tap on Xfinity, annnnd...”BBC America is not included in your cable tv package.” Whaaaa? Yes, it is! It’s how I watch Dr. Who. Bah!

In anger, I just decide to delete the channel. When I go to delete it, I notice I can also rate the BBCA channel. I give it one star (it wouldn’t let me give no stars.) I then get a screen asking why I was giving BBCA such a low rating. There’s something like a dozen or more pre-packaged reasons to select from. And what’s the very first selection? Unable to activate.

andi*pandi
May 23, 2022, 09:19 AM

so... they know its an issue but havent fixed their goddawful UI? grrr.

When I activated amazon prime I recall mobile didn't work and I had to go to my desktop, login, get the code and then WALK back to the tv room, lol.

Brien
Professional Poster
May 23, 2022, 03:00 PM

I think many companies know the issues, but no longer want to spend money to fix them.

Case in point – the HomePod mini is a complete POS, does Apple care? Probably. Will they fix it? Probably not…

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 28, 2022, 08:07 PM

No, Alexa, I did not set up a notification for you to sell me printer ink.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 29, 2022, 06:19 PM

Put a 4th 2018 Mac Mini into my render farm. They’re all identical hardware-wise except for the size of the SSD.

The new one is consistently 5-10% slower than the others. All I can think of as the cause is it’s running different software revisions.

reader50
Administrator
May 29, 2022, 10:05 PM

Under partial load, does the slow one ramp up the fan more? I'm thinking accumulated gunk in the heat sink. Especially if a smoker used it.

My MacPro needs blowing out every 1-2 years. The elevated fan noise tells me when to do it.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 29, 2022, 11:20 PM

A minor irritant was there were no worthwhile deals on eBay for the specs I wanted when I was buying.

So, it’s a 2018 model because I needed Intel, but the computer itself is brand new.

A slightly larger irritant is my render farm is officially obsolete. After Effects is M1 native now.

ghporter
Administrator
May 30, 2022, 02:01 PM

While I’d bet that a cluster of 4 or 5 M1 Mac Minis would be awesome, I also think that it would be, shall we say, “freakin’ expensive” compared to your Intel Minis. I assume that After Effects will still support the Intel version of their software for a while, but that “a while” could be “not really a long time.”

Maybe it’s time to start looking at a Linux conversion for your Mac Mini cluster. Of course with Linux you have the trade off of how the support is (or isn’t) provided, and whatever you choose won’t be “exactly the same” for things like workflow, but there are choices. Natron is one (apparently it has a similar workflow, though crappy online support) and Blender is another (different workflow, really good - often really in depth (too in depth?) support). Plus Blender has been used for actual commercial films (maybe “really, really indie”), where most of the others haven’t.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 30, 2022, 02:19 PM

They’d work out to around the same I think.

The Intel is about $1,720 plus tax. That includes a 64GB RAM upgrade and installation, which I can’t be arsed with.

The M1 is only $1,100, but that’s limited to 12GB. After Effects is a RAM hog, so I don’t think that’s enough. My guess is a 64GB model would cost about $1,700, but it’s Apple, so maybe $1,900.

I can still get at least a couple years out of the Intels, and I guess they’re not fully obsolete yet. There’s still no 64GB M1 Mini, and both Adobe and the developers I have filters from might benefit from some more time to optimize. This is ultimately why I got it even though I knew it’s obsolete. It’s giving me a 20-25% increase in rendering speed right now, which is when I need it.

My long-term plan is to get a Mac Studio and migrate my “main” computer over to it. Once I’ve got that comfortably M1, I’ll think about the render farm.

As an aside, I finally grabbed Blender a week ago. My first impression was it’s textbook FOSS. Incredibly powerful, but made by people who have yet to understand how to think like the hu-mans.
( Last edited by subego; May 30, 2022 at 02:55 PM. )

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 30, 2022, 10:25 PM

Sia.

Love her. Think she’s great. Excellent writer. Absolutely gorgeous voice.

She mush-mouths her lyrics a lot.

I’m also sad she’s sad all the time, but that doesn’t irritate me, it just makes me sad.

My favorite Sia mush-mouth lyric is “I won’t let you get Madonna”, and God bless her for that. Second is the one where she wants to “swing from the chimney”.

OreoCookie
May 31, 2022, 02:59 AM

Sia.

Love her. Think she’s great. Excellent writer. Absolutely gorgeous voice.

She mush-mouths her lyrics a lot.

I’m also sad she’s sad all the time, but that doesn’t irritate me, it just makes me sad.

My favorite Sia mush-mouth lyric is “I won’t let you get Madonna”, and God bless her for that. Second is the one where she wants to “swing from the chimney”.
I sometimes think that fans need to keep certain types of singers depressed to get them to do their best work. Sarah McLachlan is in the same category. Her music is just wonderful, the melancholy, the way she sometimes purposefully doesn't hit the notes perfectly to emphasize her fragility.

Sia has seemingly never been able to mitigate her depression (and whatever other psychological problems she has). In return, she is a bone fide genius. I saw an interview of her, where she casually says that it took her 45 minutes to compose Chandelier, she had to catch a plane, I think.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 31, 2022, 03:15 AM

45 minutes to compose Chimney.

OreoCookie
May 31, 2022, 03:55 AM

45 minutes to compose Chimney.
Maybe. I've tried looking for the interview before submitting the post, but couldn't. In any case, 45 minutes!!

OreoCookie
May 31, 2022, 04:07 AM

Found it.

It was Brittany Spear's Perfume. And it was 40 minutes, not 45. It's like she belongs to another species. Seems to be a gift with a heavy price, though.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2022, 03:56 PM

I’ve probably complained about this before, but from when I moved into this building, it’s gone from dry cleaners in the same building, to dry cleaners on the other side of the alley, to dry cleaners are a quarter-mile walk.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2022, 04:01 PM

Do you wear a lot of suits?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2022, 05:45 PM

I’ll be forced to wear a nice shirt at times, so I’ll get those washed and pressed.

Before the pandemic pretty much all my nice shirts and a suit or two were ready to go… still haven’t taken them in.

Thorzdad
Jun 2, 2022, 03:56 PM

Over the course of the past year or so, I’ve encountered a rapidly-growing number of websites that mysteriously crash in Safari on my lowly, old iPad Air. More and more, I am seeing pages partially load, then go blank with the “Webpage was reloaded because a problem occurred” message along the top of the screen. Sometimes, the page itself appears to be fully loaded, but Safari shows that it’s still trying to load...something. After it crashes a couple of times, the last crash is followed by a blank page and the “A problem repeatedly occurred on www.website.fail” message.

The browser itself never crashes. Just the loading of the webpage fails.

It’s like sites have been adding some brave, new...whatever...that apparently does not play well with my old version of Safari.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2022, 05:49 PM

I remember when this was constant. Even this site would make mobile Safari cry.

Methinks the “problem” that repeatedly occurs is Apple’s shitty code.

Thorzdad
Jun 2, 2022, 06:52 PM

I remember when this was constant. Even this site would make mobile Safari cry.

Methinks the “problem” that repeatedly occurs is Apple’s shitty code.
Nah. This is a very recent problem. Like, over the past year. And, my version of Safari hasn’t been updated over that time. And, the way the problem has multiplied over that short time makes me think it has to do with some trendy new background script/tool/whatever all the cool web-dev kids have decided is necessary.

reader50
Administrator
Jun 3, 2022, 12:58 AM

Once they get the Linux on iPad working, you'll be able to use a later browser. Probably Firefox, plus whatever's open-source, and available for Android.

Forum Links
Forum Rules