Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > How to put imac back to original state for returning it?

How to put imac back to original state for returning it?
TomR
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2000, 04:26 PM

I have what might be a weird question for some. I just got a new imac DV+ and am thinking of returning it due to the fact that I'm not sure I like it. I'd like to put it back to the same set-up it was when I got so any of MY info placed into it is gone as well as all prefs,etc. You know, as if I just opened it up and turned it on. Is this a clean install thing or what should I do?
Any help appreciated.

Tom

------------------
Tom Randall -- [email protected] (Remove the "P" to e-mail me)
Amateur Radio: KB2SMS (Grid FN31) - ARRL / 10-10 / QRP-L #1965
Look for me on PSK31 on 14.069.5 and 28.119.5

Member: AAVSO Solar Division

My Astronomy/Ham radio site: http://www.idsi.net/~trandall/welcome.html

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2000, 04:36 PM

Well? You should have a "restore" disk that reintalls everything to the factory "settings".

So boot from that disk, then use the application Drive Setup to reformat and be sure to "zero all data". Then do the "restore". I've never had to do one of those so can't help you with that.

Danny DLT
Forum Regular
Aug 28, 2000, 05:08 PM

Can you please tell me why you think you don't like it? You've gotta find something pretty wrong to actually want to take it back.

Just wondering...

--Danny

------------------
Daniel De La Torre
iMac DV/400/64/10/9.0.4
Daniel De La Torre
iMac DV/400/192/10/9.1

vk2two
Aug 28, 2000, 05:46 PM

How could you not like it?

There is lots of Amateur Radio software available for it as well. Its also a lot more RF quiet than thoes winblows wintel boxes.

I've had mine a month now and its great. Though I would like more than the 128mb of RAM which is the next upgrade. Other than that its quick, quiet and does everything I could want.

There are 2 grey discs (well in Australia they are Grey). one is a software restore the other a software update. You have to boot the machine holding the C key with the Restore disk in. Use the complete restore, (delete existing disk contents) option and it will load everything fresh (as it arrived from apple).

73's
Thanks
Andrew
VK2TWO
QF56OD
Sydney, Australia.

TomR  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2000, 11:04 PM

Sure Danny.
Well gang I gave it a try. My Ruby imac DV+ is going back for a refund. I'll be honest here, I just don't care for it, I thought I would but alas I don't. In the 4 days that I've had it I realised that I just don't like the OS and it's froze up on me 3 times in the first 3 days. Twice the first night. Then I thought to myself, "the thing really can't be upgraded the way I could upgrade my Dell 300". I knew from the start I really couldn't upgrade it (except memory) but it really hit me today that that's not acceptable. I know my way around PCs enough and have upgraded past PCs to be able to do it myself.

Call me nuts but I am just use to Windows (gasp!) and DOS. Although Windows choads on me now and then it never freezes up. Getting back to work is a simple reset for me. I can navigate Windows with the best of them, very quickly, with the Mac I'm like (well I was) a newbee. I felt like a 7 year old learning a computer for the first time. But that's only because I'm not used to Macs, I know that.

I'm NOT knocking those that love Macs, it's just that I realised that I LOVE my PC/windows/DOS machine. I'm at home there. I know what I'm doing there and I'm real good at it. I'm not one of those who debate and fight at which is better, both have their place in this world. Hey, at least I TRIED a Mac!

So I bid you all adue. This is a great forum, you folks really help others and that's what it's all about. Thanks for any help you folks have given me and have fun with your Macs.

Tom

Originally posted by Danny DLT:
Can you please tell me why you think you don't like it? You've gotta find something pretty wrong to actually want to take it back.

Just wondering...

--Danny

Danny DLT
Forum Regular
Aug 29, 2000, 01:43 AM

Absolutely! At least you tried it out and if you realized that the Mac OS just wasn't your thing then I (or no one else I guess) could or should really blame you. Just as long as the store you bought it from gives you your money back, then everything's okay.

Sorry this one couldn't have worked out for you,

--Danny

------------------
Daniel De La Torre
iMac DV/400/64/10/9.0.4
Daniel De La Torre
iMac DV/400/192/10/9.1

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2000, 02:13 AM

Hi Tom,

That was a classy response. Best of luck to you.

Casey

Aug 29, 2000, 11:41 AM

If he only knew the power of the Dark Side...

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2000, 02:54 PM

... the power to make grown men cry ...

rhino_g3
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 30, 2000, 03:00 PM

Can't believe someone would want to return a new Mac unless there were major problems. That is too bad.

Can't win 'em all.

Forum Links
Forum Rules