Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple - Can it last ?

Apple - Can it last ?
GK
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 10, 2001, 08:50 PM

NewsFactor Network, 5 December 2001

APPLE'S JUST-IN-TIME INNOVATION: CAN IT LAST?
Apple Computer has nearly always managed to impress the computing world with its innovative products, but recent trends offer
evidence of the company's waning influence, according to Jupiter
Media Metrix research VP Ross Scott Rubin. He said that recent
products, such as the iPod and OS X, stick to industry standards
without attempting to pioneer new areas. Rubin cited Apple's
Newton PDA, Quicktime camera, Airport wireless card, and the
iMovie as examples of Apple products that pioneered new areas.
By comparison, iPod, which uses the MP3 standard and a Toshiba
hard drive, is innovative in its design but not in its technology
format. Rubin also said OS X shows Apple's surrender to existing
standards by supporting the Java and UNIX programming languages.
"The company's strong sense of aesthetics and industrial design
has served them well, but it isn't a panacea," Rubin explained.
(NewsFactor Network, 5 December 2001)

Apple 2001: Titanium G4, OSX, iPod, Final Cut Pro 3, and they're talking about 'waning influence' and 'surrender to existing standards'
DUH.

suprz
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2001, 08:53 PM

f*ck newsfactor network!!!!!!
"The only time that man gets to actually leave a physical mark upon this earth is in death, and even then, it is only a gravestone proclaiming his demise"

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2001, 09:18 PM

seriously.

who the hell is this Jupiter Media Metrix research VP Ross Scott Rubin and why did NFN care what he had to say about apple enough to actually publish a news article? how cute that hes trying to promote his little company by being so "outspoken".

iNub
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 10, 2001, 10:40 PM

I happen to think that sticking to standards is pretty damned revolutionary, myself. Microsoft doesn't stick to Java or Mp3 standards. Does that make them revolutionary? No, it makes them monopolists.

All Windows consumer releases prior to XP home couldn't even follow the disk formatting standard that Microsoft themselves established. Windows still uses Joliet for CDs, which is at best just a hack of ISO9660. The reason a Mac won't read a Joliet CD properly is because it's not recognized by the ISO.

Now, having that said, I still think it's revolutionary of Apple to allow people to use all this open/shared technology. It proves, to me at least, that they aren't trying to milk their customers for every dime they have. RAM prices notwithstanding. And what's wrong with following the Unix standard? It's been around for the longest time, and it still works. Hell, Windows doesn't work right a month after it's installed, and I know of HP/UX computers that haven't been touched or restarted in years.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2001, 12:16 AM

As I recall, the iPod is the only MP3 player with FireWire. And because it uses FireWire, you can use it as a decent external HD.

If this guy thinks that MacOS X isn't innovative... he obviously got teased at school because of his name. No need to take your frustration out on Apple, it's not their fault you have a total lack of prospective, Ross Rubin. Heh.

I thought it amusing he brought up Java and UNIX. Apple has supported Java for the longest time. If memory serves me right, didn't Microsoft drop support for Java in WindowsXP? And when did Microsoft ever comply with standards, they usually make up their own crap, make it propriatary, then tell everyone you have to use Windows to utilize this "standard." As UNIX is concerned, Apple has been working on Rhapsody, as well as long before that they had their own version of Linux for both 68k and PPC Macs. Yes, I'm quite aware Linux and UNIX are entirely different, I think this guy purposely avoided that in the assumption that they're both the same. It's like comparing DOS to a Commodore.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2001, 12:43 AM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
<STRONG>Yes, I'm quite aware Linux and UNIX are entirely different, I think this guy purposely avoided that in the assumption that they're both the same.It's like comparing DOS to a Commodore.</STRONG>
Wait, wait, wait!!!!

Are you saying that two diffrent products created by two diffrent companies are diffrent[?!?!?

Blew my mind man.

[ 12-10-2001: Message edited by: juanvaldes ]
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2001, 02:04 AM

Was this found in the Sunday funnies section of the paper?
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

ac2c
Dec 11, 2001, 05:40 AM

I wonder how much Billy G. paid him to write the article?
It IS as bad as you think, and they ARE out to get you!

simonjames
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2001, 05:46 AM

gawd I am sick of hearing this same f'ing article again and again. Market share this - blah blah blah - Apple about to die - blah blah blah

You think Mercedes and BMW are concerned that they have less than 5% of the world's car market? Anyone talking about them about to disappear? No. And why do people talk about Apple like this? One word - jealousy
this sig intentionally left blank

derbs
Senior User
Dec 11, 2001, 06:17 AM

haha

shows how much of an expert this guy is....

the "quicktime camera"...?? Think he means "quicktake"

muppet
Apple are looking in a well-rosy position compared to the 'build-em cheap' boys

Adam Silver
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2001, 09:29 AM

So iMovie, which uses the standard DV format, is revolutionary and the iPod, which uses the standard MP3 format, is not?

I don't understand why using existing standards in new products makes them not so revolutionary.

iMovie was revolutionary because it was the first consumer software that used the standard DV format. The iPod is revolutionary (or at least extremely evolutionary) because it's the first portable music player to use FireWire, it's small, it's fast, and it's easy to use.

Forum Links
Forum Rules